English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Games (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Wrath of the Demon - 4 disk crack / trainer possible? (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=97993)

mai 03 July 2019 12:22

Wrath of the Demon - 4 disk crack / trainer possible?
 
Again,
Wrath of the Demon 4-Disk and Trainer, often requested > never created!
Maybe its just impossible or it is not worth the efforts.
Meanwhile i think its an unwritten rule in this forum to not to create such version, because there is a contract between a specific person, and some members, who would have the knowlwedge to create such version! :laughing

ross 03 July 2019 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by mai (Post 1330432)
Meanwhile i think its an unwritten rule in this forum to not to create such version, because there is a contract between a specific person, and some members, who would have the knowlwedge to create such version! :laughing

:agree
Yes, is a damn Reptilian conspiracy... :p


Now seriously.
Game use long tracks. Precisely 768 bytes more net data on every track ($1900 vs $1600).
For a potential grand total of 768x160 = 122880 bytes more, on every disk, compared to ADF.

Then non so simple to recreate a cracked/trained full version in 4 disks.
It is certainly not said that it is impossible, indeed it would be a nice attempt and a challenge.
But it is something to ponderate about because surely it would require a time not too small.. and you can fail in the attempt.


To be honest I have looked only at the loader and not at whether all the tracks are used or the type of compressor or how the data are organized so it could also be doable.

mai 03 July 2019 19:52

...as expected, another refusal.

Methanoid 03 July 2019 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by mai (Post 1330493)
...as expected, another refusal.

No idea where you got that idea from. Comes across as rather rude IMHO [emoji53]

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

ross 03 July 2019 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by mai (Post 1330493)
...as expected, another refusal.

Nah.. simply you have to wait a slowdown of the earth's rotation on its axis.
In that case I would definitely have time for WotD.

---

In any case, I quickly looked at the code. A bit disorganized but simple enough to follow.
There is no table of files, but the load takes place in free positions on the tracks (there is a subdivision into four macro-sectors/track, used however exclusively in order to not slow down loading).
This is even worse for standard ADF loader that normally use sectors as base division (can have some loss of usable space every end of 'virtual' file).
Anyway fortunately I can adapt my 'free position' loader. It would only be really annoying to manually calculate all the positions (in 4 disks ..) because of lack of the aforementioned table.
Another problem is memory. The game uses completely the base 512KB. So embedding the new code could be complicated (an offline patch can be excluded).


Quote:

Originally Posted by Methanoid (Post 1330505)
No idea where you got that idea from. Comes across as rather rude IMHO

You right, but I have no desire for controversy so I let it go :)

ross 03 July 2019 23:29

I've no idea if is a know fact for WotD.
There is a PAL check in boot routine but with wrong parameter passed on main code (a stupid mistake on D0 saving).
EDIT: confirmed, the received value is never right, not even by chance, on PAL machines

This makes the intro tune sound at wrong tempo!
Maybe you are used to it, but probably unintentionally it has always been heard in the wrong way.
Please, test the Disk1 eADF in the Zone! that i've uploaded.

What do you think?

BarryB 04 July 2019 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ross (Post 1330535)
I've no idea if is a know fact for WotD.
There is a PAL check in boot routine but with wrong parameter passed on main code (a stupid mistake on D0 saving).
EDIT: confirmed, the received value is never right, not even by chance, on PAL machines

This makes the intro tune sound at wrong tempo!
Maybe you are used to it, but probably unintentionally it has always been heard in the wrong way.
Please, test the Disk1 eADF in the Zone! that i've uploaded.

What do you think?

Fixed WotD music sounds much better, nice find & fix :great

When you listen to the original music, it actually does sound like it needs to be played faster!

ross 04 July 2019 21:27

I have now all the raw data extracted.
I created some support tools and I got stressed manually extracting sparse data...
(for some reason, even it's a 'free position' loader, there is occasionally some gap around with random data or not compressed at all).
Game contain 64 'virtual files'.

The original compressor is quite weak so it is possible that a 4-disc version will see the light (I have not done extensive compression tests so for now it's just a guess).
But it will be a long journey... ;)


PS: malko, don't scold me :p

Viceroy 04 July 2019 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methanoid (Post 1330505)
No idea where you got that idea from. Comes across as rather rude IMHO [emoji53]

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

I agree with you ;-(

Galahad/FLT 04 July 2019 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by ross (Post 1330701)
I have now all the raw data extracted.
I created some support tools and I got stressed manually extracting sparse data...
(for some reason, even it's a 'free position' loader, there is occasionally some gap around with random data or not compressed at all).
Game contain 64 'virtual files'.

The original compressor is quite weak so it is possible that a 4-disc version will see the light (I have not done extensive compression tests so for now it's just a guess).
But it will be a long journey... ;)


PS: malko, don't scold me :p

I would quickly archive them with something similar to what you might use to repack the files with just to determine if there is much of a saving in file sizes.

ross 04 July 2019 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT (Post 1330718)
I would quickly archive them with something similar to what you might use to repack the files with just to determine if there is much of a saving in file sizes.

:agree Done.
All repacked files fit properly in relative (of normal ADF size) floppy.

:great

malko 04 July 2019 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ross (Post 1330701)
[...] PS: malko, don't scold me :p

Me... to scold you ? ;)
I'm already thinking about punishment, in fact :p :laughing

DamienD 04 July 2019 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ross (Post 1330535)
I've no idea if is a know fact for WotD.
There is a PAL check in boot routine but with wrong parameter passed on main code (a stupid mistake on D0 saving).
EDIT: confirmed, the received value is never right, not even by chance, on PAL machines

This makes the intro tune sound at wrong tempo!
Maybe you are used to it, but probably unintentionally it has always been heard in the wrong way.
Please, test the Disk1 eADF in the Zone! that i've uploaded.

What do you think?

Wow big difference; and with your fix it's much better ;)

...this intro tune always reminded me of Shadow Of The Beast; funny that considering it's by the same musician i.e. David Whittaker :p

BTW; I've also given this topic it's own thread and so moved all posts out of the Cracked games missing stuff... one.

DamienD 04 July 2019 23:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by mai (Post 1330432)
Meanwhile i think its an unwritten rule in this forum to not to create such version, because there is a contract between a specific person, and some members, who would have the knowlwedge to create such version! :laughing

mai; I'd love you to explain this comment further... what do you mean exactly?

mai 05 July 2019 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1330737)
mai; I'd love you to explain this comment further... what do you mean exactly?

This is the right question!
I try to make long story short.


Quote:

Originally Posted by mai (Post 1330432)
Meanwhile i think its an unwritten rule in this forum to not to create such version, because there is a contract between a specific person, and some members, who would have the knowlwedge to create such version!


I was just kidding, but there is a story behind:
There is a specific person in this forum (known as good coder/cracker), maybe he gives himself to recognize later.
My original request is more tan 10 years old. I had some chat with this person via private messages.
He told me that he has already created a 4-Disk version with some space for a trainer, but at that time he has not made a proper trainer, so no release until now.
Years ago friendship is broken for various reasons, so cant ask him again.

Meanwhile some potential coders/crackers have joined, so
i thought its time to request again in public forum to prevent to wait another 10 years! :D

ross 05 July 2019 20:30

Quote:

Meanwhile some potential coders/crackers have joined, so
i thought its time to request again in public forum to prevent to wait another 10 years! :D
And do you think you can motivate someone with this sentence?:
Quote:

Originally Posted by mai (Post 1330493)
...as expected, another refusal.

It's a pretty weird way ...
In any case, I will pretend that I have not read and continue on my way.
I tend if possible to be kind and to joke, so ok, all fine ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mai (Post 1330863)
There is a specific person in this forum (known as good coder/cracker), maybe he gives himself to recognize later.
My original request is more tan 10 years old. I had some chat with this person via private messages.
He told me that he has already created a 4-Disk version with some space for a trainer, but at that time he has not made a proper trainer, so no release until now.
Years ago friendship is broken for various reasons, so cant ask him again.

I don't want to know what you're talking about and in any case it's not relevant to this new thread.

Now I know for sure that it is possible to create a 4 disk version (i'm already removing the checksums on variuos files, phew .. so many ..) so I really think that what your ex-friend told you is very true.
There is also space for a cracktro and trainer (that is not too simple..).

And the fact that something is not released after 10 years (even if practically complete) does not surprise me at all.
You can't imagine how many new versions of crack or new patched games (also partially) lie on my hard disk (and some forum users have those versions ..).
Or intro. Or tools. Or snippets for future routines. Or simply written ideas.
Something is simply missing to make them definitive release (sense of perfectionism?, laziness?, loss of interest? .. there are so many reasons).

This is a hobby, something to maintain active the mind and meanwhile have fun.
And it's very nice to receive praise from other users for the work done (a very great and the only reward).
Aware of being part of the same community where we all have the same (insane :p) passion.

Going back to WotD.
At this point I will carry to the end this work, but I will take the time it takes (I hope not 10 years, but I want to think of being free to put as much time I want, so I don't exclude it :D)

Cheers!

Methanoid 05 July 2019 21:17

Thanks Ross. Some of us here do appreciate the work of you and others to fix these things [emoji3]

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

mai 05 July 2019 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by ross (Post 1330877)
And do you think you can motivate someone with this sentence?:

It's a pretty weird way ...

yeah, sometimes i say bad things, i do not pay attention of personal sensitivities, however do not call it rude or offensive!


Quote:

Originally Posted by ross (Post 1330877)
At this point I will carry to the end this work, but I will take the time it takes (I hope not 10 years, but I want to think of being free to put as much time I want, so I don't exclude it :D)

...wish you much success :), just do it not for me, but for the nice guys in this forum.

ross 05 July 2019 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mai (Post 1330884)
...wish you much success :), just do it not for me, but for the nice guys in this forum.

.. and instead I do it for you too, I can't let you have to wait any longer :p

Viceroy 05 July 2019 23:27

You are very talented man Ross ;-)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:37.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.05359 seconds with 11 queries