English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Computers and their names (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=1554)

Akira 27 September 2001 21:42

Computers and their names

Two questions in one here. First, the popular computers and the friendly names people gave to them. I know these:

Commodore 64: Commie
Commodore Plus/4: Plussy (take one letter out and we're in trouble :)
Commodore Amiga: Meega, Miggy
Amstrad CPC: Ammy
Sinclair Spectrum: Speccy

Any other ones you know? How do you call an MSX, retroman/shatterhand? :)

Now for the second question. Some people put names on their machines. Do you? My machines have no names really. But my Amiga is definitely a "she" :)

Yes I'm crazy. Lock me up in the loony bin

RetroMan 27 September 2001 21:57

Hmm, the Commodore C64 got the name "Commo" here, not Commie, anyway ..... I call the MSX like this ---> Ms.X :D:D:D

dunno if there are other names out there ?! Shatterhand ???

dAbOTZ 27 September 2001 22:04

Commodore 64: Coma
PC: Picio (Untranslable)
Amiga: A' figa (Again untranslable)
Sinclair Spectrum: Spettro, fantasmino

Btw, I wonder what's the name people put for the hard drives... mines are Herakles (C), Leander (D), Seth (E)... don't ask me why :)

MethodGit 27 September 2001 23:30

Computers, pervy thoughts and Akira

Quote:

Originally posted by Akira
Commodore 64: Commie
That name's kinda controversial too, sometimes. It's another name people use for communists. :rolleyes

Quote:

Commodore Plus/4: Plussy (take one letter out and we're in trouble :)
Ooh, you naughty naughty little boy! :laughing Really, I bet you think about it in your moist dreams all the time. ;)

Quote:

Now for the second question. Some people put names on their machines. Do you? My machines have no names really. But my Amiga is definitely a "she" :)
Woo-hooh-hooh-hoh! :smileek Dear god, getting desperate now, aren't we, Ak? :laugh

Quote:

Yes I'm crazy. Lock me up in the loony bin
OK, deed done :D

(throws key in the trashcan as /me walks away from Akira's padded cell)

Ian 27 September 2001 23:41

Akira count to ten first:D

RetroMan 27 September 2001 23:45

Quote:

Originally posted by dAbOTZ
Btw, I wonder what's the name people put for the hard drives... mines are Herakles (C), Leander (D), Seth (E)... don't ask me why :)
Hmm, could you guessed it ? My Harddrive has the following names :
HD0: = A1200:
HD1: = A2000:
HD2: = A500

when I get my A4000T next month I will add a partition called A4000T: :D:D:D:D:D

Akira 28 September 2001 00:08

Ian: I can't be arsed to kick ths guy's head, only air lies inside it..

Quite an interesting thing I got here, how they called the machines in various countries :)

Samuraio: Brotkasten I suppose is the translation of 'breadbin', the common name for the lovely brown C64 box?

Hmm.. we really didn't have local names for the machines, not that I know of.

I forgot one, I always called PCs Pish-Es :P

Oh I forgot about hard drives.

A600:
System2.0
Work
(how original :D)

PC:
C: = Win98
D: = Work3
E: = Work1
F: = Work2
And god knows how the linux partition is called. Stupid unixish OS :P

Ian 28 September 2001 00:12

I used to and still do call PC's Piles of Crap thanks Bill:p

Amigaboy 28 September 2001 02:04

Commodore 64 : The 64
Commodore 128 : The 128
Amiga 1200 : The 1200
Amiga 500 : The 500
Amiga 2000 : The 2000

etc. These are the names I use to this day....They fit really well if you ask me :)

Shatterhand 28 September 2001 05:14

Most people call the MSX.. well, just MSX really... just M S X . Or "Emee Ésse Xis" here in Brazil (.. I know it's weird, but spanish-talking people will understand, I guess)
Some people here in Brazil call it a strange sound, in english would sould like meesix

the Amiga has always been Amiga too here, I've only seen the term "miggy" in magazines and internet.

The Spectrum here was called "TK" (Tê Ka), because that was the name the producers gave it. If I'm not mistaken the Speccy 64 was TK-85 , and the Speccy 128 was TK-90..

Fissuras, if you're reading this,do you remember more about that? I must admit I don't remember much about the spectrum here in Brazil, when someone said "TK", I always responsed "Bah, bug off, I have an MSX! :)

@Retroman

Ms. X is pretty cool :)

Drake1009 28 September 2001 07:15

C64 : Breadbox (Or 64 back then)
A500 : Amiga
A1200 : Amiga 1200
Atari (any) : Crap.

DPainter 28 September 2001 07:22

Re: Computers and their names

Quote:

Surely I am not alone in calling my Amiga "Amy." Sadly, right now she's upsidedown in a plastic container still dreaming for a Kickstart disk.

Fred the Fop 28 September 2001 07:45

Interesting...I used to call my Atari St
"Sol Schlossberg".
My PC is named Yakooboh Gowan, after the Nigerian president of the 1960's we all know and love.
And my iBook is named Stevarino.
My Genesis was called, believe it or not, Dpainter, Gary Coleman. Both are black. Get it??
:cheese

CodyJarrett 28 September 2001 09:26

Usually I call my PC "Oh no, don't crash again you son of a bitch! You stupid piece of junk!"

ptrchiappe 28 September 2001 09:46

Quote:

Originally posted by dAbOTZ
Amiga: A' figa (Again untranslable)
Well not really untranslable but, as Akira said earlier, we're in trouble because it would translate to :

Hey ..... (yes exactly that word Akira meant when he said to take one letter out :laugh :cheese :D ).

MethodGit 28 September 2001 13:19

Hey, Akira, don't take it seriously. You know very well I was only kiddin' with ya :cool Oh, and I'm not thick-as-shit, btw.

Sometimes I call my PC "Mr. too-retarded-to-plug-&-play-joysticks-and-other-peripherals-on-the-fly". Or "Mr. Blue-screen-luvva-luvva". :laughing Or "Piss-poorC**t-of-a-machine". :laugh

Twistin'Ghost 28 September 2001 13:20

Well, my hard drives on the Amiga are

DH0: = Earth
DH1: = Uranus

(I had others drives, but got tired of them for being too small and just took them out and threw them away...)

I had a problem of always getting an AmigaDOS message telling me that DH0: was full, so under this name, the message tells me that
Earth Is Full.
It amused me, anyway. Draw your own sick conclusions about DH1:...

Talking about slang, some of the users in the area I lived in during the glory days would call the CLI ridiculous things, pronouncing it as "clee" or "cly", which I always found to be so completely inane. Then, I was at an ultra-uncool user group meeting once, and some old fart twit was raving about a great new util he found on a Fred Fish disk called LhUnarc (and he pronounced it "loon-ark"). I just stared at him for a brief second and walked away, shaking my head in disbelief...

Amigaboy 28 September 2001 13:23

lol :laugh

Mine said Workbench is full. That sux compared to yours

CodyJarrett 28 September 2001 13:37

Uranus

Twistin' - is Uranus often full too?

Twistin'Ghost 28 September 2001 14:37

As predicted, sick conclusion drawn... :D