English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Commodore: The Amiga Years, the book! (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=78889)

PUMA 01 July 2015 03:06

Commodore: The Amiga Years, the book!

Is now live as a Kickstarter :spin

Commodore: The Amiga Years

Very funny animation at the end of the video :laughing

RobertB 13 July 2015 10:08

[48 hours to go!]

-------- Forwarded message --------

Our old friend and author Brian Bagnall is producing TWO new Commodore Books:

Commodore: The Early Years
and
Commodore Amiga Years

Brian's Kickstarter campaign has been a huge success so far so take a look at it and provide your support for an accomplished Commodore author by purchasing his new books at:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ga-years-book/

Take a look at Brian's promo video for the new Amiga book:

https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.ne...-h264_high.mp4

"Hello! I’m Brian Bagnall and I want to tell you the story of Commodore during the Amiga years. Commodore produced my favorite computers in the eighties and for years I waited for someone to write a book about those incredible times. Strangely, it seemed like publishers were only interested in talking about Apple, Microsoft and IBM. It’s time to give the Commodore Amiga some credit as the first commercially successful multimedia computer.

Take a journey from Amiga's beginnings in 1982 to when Commodore filed for bankruptcy in 1994. Dozens of brilliant and motivated engineers produced a computer with graphics, sound and multitasking capabilities years ahead of Apple and IBM. A lot happened in that decade, and this book will describe to you the most relevant parts in a definitive history of the Amiga story and Commodore’s final descent..."

rhester72 14 July 2015 21:14

To be perfectly honest, I wasn't going to support this, still being a bit miffed about him pulling out of the original book deal when he had a few thousand preorders on Amazon over a year ago.

That having been said, I _really_ want to read the damned thing, so I finally caved - and now I *REALLY* want the Agnus poster and business cards. C'mon, guys! It's only $451 CAD short! =)

Rodney

stainy 14 July 2015 23:06

$34 now

jimbob 15 July 2015 00:24

1 Attachment(s)
Blimey, > $10,000 over the last day. Agnus posters for everyone :D.

And what's this -

Quote:

Dale Luck has revealed that he has, among other things in his collection, the fabled Ranger prototype that the original team on the West Coast started developing before they left Commodore. And here is a saucy photo of that prototype.

Doc 11 May 2017 14:55

Still not finished, but here's an important update:

Brian is likely going to split The Amiga Years physical book with another Kickstarter campaign covering the second part. Meanwhile, backers received an ebook with some unpolished material.

I'm quite dissapointed, but most backers appear to be happy with Brians plans [to make some more money from his work].

chiark 11 May 2017 15:14

The choice was there: have it edited down to half the story size, or split it in two books. I think the split is the right choice given the sheer volume of material that Brian has pulled together. If you're unhappy, message Brian on Kickstarter.

If you think it's about making more money, you really need to message him. That is not the reason. I can say this having spoken with Brian for a few hours over the last few weeks.

Doc 11 May 2017 15:37

No material is lost. Brian can still work on ebooks containing everything he think is worth telling, and put that up on Kickstarter. But the project was about the Amiga years and he will obviously fail this goal.

I'm not interested in the least little bit of personal or technical information, but mainly about Commodore as a company. I've read part of the ebook and think it is way too much in there. It is nowhere near the quality of Commodore: a company on the edge. IMO, of course.

chiark 11 May 2017 20:54

He is doing that. Every backer will get book 1 and book 2 as an ebook, as I understand it. There is still editing to do no matter whether they're split or not, which will hopefully change your opinion of it. (I've been reviewing chapters for him)

indigolemon 11 May 2017 22:55

I'd rather he split it and we got the whole story, and all side stories. It's the little tangents that really make it!

Doc 12 May 2017 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiark (Post 1157369)
He is doing that. Every backer will get book 1 and book 2 as an ebook, as I understand it. There is still editing to do no matter whether they're split or not, which will hopefully change your opinion of it. (I've been reviewing chapters for him)

Maybe. Until then it is a matter of money. I was not prepared to spend twice as much for the story, and I'm still not sure if it's worth it. Besides, the project is more than one year late and still not even the first half is polished up to a point where it could go into print. I'd have to have a lot of faith to support a second kickstarter.

chiark 12 May 2017 12:56

I certainly can see your point of view. I guess having been a little involved in a very peripheral way I am more trusting that this really will be excellent, and also be delivered.

Doc 12 May 2017 15:13

However it turns out, thank you for your comments.

Steve 12 May 2017 20:49

I hope the backers (me included) receive the first book before he decides to start another Kickstarter campaign. As long as the first book is of a decent quality I'll be happy to pay again for part two. The fact that it is almost two years late is just ridiculous. I've been really patient with this one by my patience is really running out now. Stop playing sodding Thimbleweed Park and just release the book already! :p

clebin 12 May 2017 21:20

This is a tricky one. One option is to release the abridged physical version alongside the unabridged ebook, with the second Kickstarter being for a print run of the unabridged version as a single hefty book for those who want it.

I don't know the page numbers involved to know if that's possible. I do know that I have some proper massive history books on my shelves though.

rhester72 17 May 2017 19:02

Bear in mind that the additional costs for the second/split book are only for _physical publishing_. The message said quite clearly that the digital release of the second book will automatically be sent to all original backers.

Publishing physical media, particularly books, doesn't come cheap. It's hardly fair to expect Brian to just eat those publishing and shipping costs himself when he's literally supplying more than double the material we all originally expected.

My $0.02. :)

Rodney

Doc 19 May 2017 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhester72 (Post 1158608)
Bear in mind that the additional costs for the second/split book are only for _physical publishing_.

Ok, that would be nice. I'm all in for paying printing costs and p&P, but the latest update sounds different. Brian mentions "something extra" for all current backers, not a discount.

I was right that he'd fail the goal and I'm pretty sure we won't see a discount on the final book, but we'll see. At the current pace, I'd expect delivery of Amiga Years late this year and the new campaign soon thereafter.

Pyromania 19 May 2017 09:42

I still want that damn book.

Doc 20 October 2017 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyromania (Post 1159033)
I still want that damn book.

It is out. You can get it before the backers, and it is even cheaper!

:banghead

Higgy 20 October 2017 11:10

Edit - now calmed ;)