English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Transfer PC -> Amiga500 with just 512kb ram (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=2543)

Unregistered 04 December 2001 20:21

Transfer PC -> Amiga500 with just 512kb ram

Whats the best way to transfer an Amiga game
from the PC to the AMIGA with just 512kb ram?

I suppose I should use a serial cable, but where
I keep the ADF file on the amiga before I
convert it to a disk ?

Amiga1992 04 December 2001 20:25

The best way I'd say is using that ADF Sender Terminal thingy, or using a combination of CrossDOS and a second floppy drive.

If you read the FAQ you would at least know about the first option :P

Chain 23 December 2001 22:44

can someone write some stuff like "Direct serial to floppy" ???

im not programmer, but it may be easy, i think...

Codetapper 23 December 2001 23:18

Probably already underway...

A few months ago somebody asked me for the Tracktool source to enable reading/writing directly from a floppy disk to the serial port. I think they wanted this because TrackTool is one of the few disk/adf type utilities which actually works with WB1.3.

I sent the source away but haven't heard from them for a while. I will get back in touch and find out how they are getting along.

§ane 24 December 2001 03:17

Requirements:

1. Any amiga with a serial port and a copy of Workbench.

2. A PC with a terminal proggie such as "ADF Sender Terminal".

3. Null-modem serial cable (or LapLink cable).

Amiga Setup:

Set the Serial preferences as follows..

Baud Rate = 19200
Buffer Size = 4096
Read Bits = 8
Write Bits = 8
Stop Bits = 1
Parity = None
Handshaking = RTS/CTS

The transfer is most reliable at 19200 bps, any higher and the data sent may be more or less than expected.

PC Setup:

Install ADF Sender Terminal and configure the serial preferences to match the Amiga's, then open the Comm port.

PC ADF -> Amiga DF0:

Amiga: [CLI/SHELL]
transdisk -w ser: -d trackdisk 0

PC: [ADF Sender Terminal]
Press Send and select the ADF you wish to transfer to the floppy disk in drive DF0:

Amiga DF0: -> PC ADF

PC: [ADF Sender Terminal]
Enter the size of the destination file, for every track it's 11264 bytes, so tracks 0 through 79 is (11264 * 80) 901120 bytes, then click on Receive.

Amiga: [CLI/SHELL]
transdisk >ser: -d trackdisk 0

Both scenarios should return to the command line after the transfer completes, if either stops short then you should consider lowering the Baud Rate. Although i have been able to transfer at 115200 bps without errors using Transwarp in place of Transdisk.

If you don't possess Transdisk/warp and or have no way of getting it over to your amiga, refer to this page.

gizmomelb 31 March 2006 01:00

moderators / Paul!

could Sane's directions please be cut and pasted into the FAQ and possibly a copy of the ADF Terminal program be kept on the eab server (just in case the author's site ever disappears)? This would hopefully cut down on a lot of questions on 'how do I transfer files to/from my amiga?'

Jope 31 March 2006 06:44

Also, you could split the ADF into several parts and use transadf to write it in bits (you can specify the start and end tracks when writing)

Paul 31 March 2006 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by gizmomelb
moderators / Paul!

could Sane's directions please be cut and pasted into the FAQ and possibly a copy of the ADF Terminal program be kept on the eab server (just in case the author's site ever disappears)? This would hopefully cut down on a lot of questions on 'how do I transfer files to/from my amiga?'

I've copied to FAQ here

As for a mirror copy of ADF Terminal program...Maybe RCK can add to abime downloads?

vroom6sri 07 September 2006 22:52

I'm getting a little more confident with the use of my A1200 and so wanted to try the serial link between Amiga & PC. I have a serial cable which we used to use to connect to Amigas together so presume this would be the right sorta cable. The problem is I don't seem to have a socket on my motherboard (Abit AT7 MAX2) to plug in the 9pin + 25pin COM port thingy. What are my options? Is there any USB adapters worth considering or will this screw up the serial transfers when (if) I get the link working?

Jope 08 September 2006 13:44

USB->RS232 should work - it is visible as a (virtual) com port.. Most software should act nice.

vroom6sri 08 September 2006 13:58

Isn't that little gubbins for the 9pin connectors? My serial cable is the bigger one...

_ThEcRoW 08 September 2006 15:36

if you actually have the null modem cable, the easiest and effective way is using Amiga Explorer from cloanto. You only need a wb 1.3 disk for booting, then the program itself installs the needed files from pc to the amiga in order to work. And yes, it works even on a wb 1.3 512kb Amiga 500. You can load an adf on the pc then put a disk in the Amiga 500 diskdrive and write the adf to disk without probs. Try it, it's awesome!

vroom6sri 08 September 2006 19:15

Cheers, TheCrow. But how do I connect the PC to the Amiga? I have the 20summin pin serial cable used for connecting 2 amigas together but no suitable socket on my PC (or motherboard).

_ThEcRoW 08 September 2006 22:21

You have to do your own cable. I made mine with instructions on cloanto website for my siamese system.
Is easy, only basic soldering skills are neeeded.

vroom6sri 09 September 2006 00:35

Basic soldering skills, eh? Oh dear. The last time I used a soldering iron I was 10 and was trying to fix one of my joysticks I'd broken in a GAME OVER rage. Silly me forgot to unplug it from my C64. Who would have thought the heat would travel that quickly to the computer and nacker it?!?!? Not me!

Will one of those USB->RS232 adapters with a 9 to 25 pin converter work?

InTheSand 09 September 2006 01:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by vroom6sri
Will one of those USB->RS232 adapters with a 9 to 25 pin converter work?

Yes, it'll be fine, but you'll need to make sure you also have a null modem RS232 cable.

So you end up with:
PC --- USB/RS232 --- 9-pin null modem --- 9-pin/25-pin --- Amiga

Or

PC --- USB/RS232 --- 9-pin/25-pin --- 25-pin null modem --- Amiga

- Ali

vroom6sri 09 September 2006 10:25

I love these websites. Everyone helps one another out. THANKS EVERYONE!

I presume the null modem cable IS the serial cable used for connecting 2 amigas. Is this right?

ElectroBlaster 19 September 2006 01:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by InTheSand
Yes, it'll be fine, but you'll need to make sure you also have a null modem RS232 cable.

So you end up with:
PC --- USB/RS232 --- 9-pin null modem --- 9-pin/25-pin --- Amiga

Or

PC --- USB/RS232 --- 9-pin/25-pin --- 25-pin null modem --- Amiga

- Ali

Learning new things all the time here :D I never even considored one of these usb devices let alone thinking it would work

I will try this out one day :)

vroom6sri 19 September 2006 09:14

I'm keen to give it a try too! I have just discovered the true wonders of WinUAE so will be using this for all the games that need something more meaty than a standard A1200 with HD to run. However, nothing replaces the real thing for the true enthusiast and I love the satisfaction of trying something "technical" for me and getting it to work so will still be trying this null modem connection thingy.

vroom6sri 05 November 2006 19:26

OK! Now have some spare time so have tried connecting the USB to Serial cable to both Amiga & PC. Amiga end seems OK but PC (obviously?) doesn't treat the USB cable as COM1 and TwinExpress wants to use COM1 on the PC. Is there FREE software out there for the PC that will treat the USB cable as COM1 so I can get the connection established? PLEASE help...