English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Games images which need to be WHDified (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Links: Challenge of Golf (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=48020)

DDNI 12 October 2009 22:13

Links: Challenge of Golf

Hi all, it seems that this HD installable game fails on anything other than an OC/ECS system.

Has anyone discussed making a WHDLoad install for it?

Retro-Nerd 13 October 2009 03:38

Second that. But i remember that i've played Links on my A1200 with TUDE. Give it a try.

lordofchaos 10 April 2013 19:00

It's been some years since this request was made, are we any closer to a whdload version? Although I can play this on the A1200 it does required some messing about with degrader...Maybe it would benefit from using real fast memory for increased speed?

Retro-Nerd 10 April 2013 19:03

It benefits a bit from fast memory. But for a smoother gameplay you should have at least a decent 030 CPU or better.

lordofchaos 10 April 2013 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd (Post 880783)
It benefits a bit from fast memory. But for a smoother gameplay you should have at least a decent 030 CPU or better.

Wow I should check it out again, I haven't played it since I got a 68030...:) I'm sure compared to a stock a1200 it's night and day...

StingRay 10 April 2013 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordofchaos (Post 880782)
are we any closer to a whdload version?

Yes we are as I started to work on a patch for this game yesterday (without knowing about this very thread here). :)

lordofchaos 10 April 2013 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingRay (Post 880830)
Yes we are as I started to work on a patch for this game yesterday (without knowing about this very thread here). :)

That's fantastic news StingRay!, look forward to it :agree

StingRay 13 April 2013 14:07

The patch is now available on the WHDLoad site, have fun.

Retro-Nerd 13 April 2013 15:10

:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:great

lordofchaos 13 April 2013 20:42

Thanks StingRay! :spin :great

StingRay 28 April 2013 17:07

A new update of the Links patch is available, I have added support for the 2 course disks (Bountiful & Firestone) and fixed a very lame bug in the game regarding the course selection, now all installed courses can be selected in the requester (try this with the original game, it will only display 1 course). Have fun. :)

lordofchaos 29 April 2013 16:02

Thanks,that's great news StingRay, looking forward to getting those extra courses installed :great

malko 04 July 2019 13:51

Sorry to dig such an old thread but a question came to my mind while voting for the "Super League 2019 round 9".

Does anyone knows if the Links course disks that are available on the PC (DOS) are compatible with the Amiga version of the game ?
Are they of the same file format ?

Has anyone ever tried to mix the Amiga game with the PC (DOS) course disks ?

malko 05 July 2019 12:52

Seen this in the description of the WHDLoad Install
Quote:

[...] In case you have a different course disk just copy the course
(any file with .crs extension) to the course directory and the game
will use it. [...]
I don't remember if the PC courses have this extension, but think I will give a try next time I dig my cellar and find back the game's boxes. I am doubtful, but who knows... :p

DamienD 05 July 2019 13:41

You can download the DOS version course disks here:

... Links: Championship Course - Mauna Kea
... Links: Championship Course - Bay Hill Club & Lodge
... Links: Championship Course - Bountiful Golf Course
... Links: Championship Course - Firestone Country Club
... Links LS: Championship Course - Valderrama
... Links LS: Championship Course - Oakland Hills Country Club
... Links LS: Championship Course - Congressional Country Club
... Links LS: Championship Course - Valhalla Golf Club

I looked in the "Maunu Kea" archive but there was no .CRS file.

There was in the "Bay Hill Club & Lodge" archive though ;)

...didn't check the rest.

malko 05 July 2019 13:45

Thanks mate :great
Will check some of them.

malko 09 July 2019 23:27

Ok. So far none of the tested courses are working with the Amiga version of the game. It's not a big surprise as most of the time the extension are different.

I have even tested the course that is bundled with the PC game (Torrey Pines) and it's as well not working.
Here, I am a little bit disappointed...

Regarding StingRay's notes on the WHDLoad's readme file, I do think that he knows quite well the file format of the game's courses.

Thus this question for you @StingRay (try not to hold against me if it's a really stupid question :p ) :

- do you know if it's difficult to adapt the PC courses to the Amiga exe of the game ? Did you check this (out of curiosity) when you have created the slave ?

I am asking because I have seen that exists about 20 courses for the PC version of "Links: The Challenge of Golf"... :) .

Seiya 10 July 2019 00:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by malko (Post 1331657)
O
I have even tested the course that is bundled with the PC game (Torrey Pines) and it's as well not working.
Here, I am a little bit disappointed...

Torrey Pines works on Amiga version. i have installed and it's ok

https://i.ibb.co/Gxt3YDW/links.png
https://i.ibb.co/5Yr4kJd/links-1.png

malko 10 July 2019 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seiya (Post 1331672)
Torrey Pines works on Amiga version. i have installed and it's ok [...]

Really ??? The PC course is working on the Amiga game for you ?

I have used the Links version from DDWC but none of the courses I have copied on the courses' folder are appearing on the list within the game.
Did you use the same version ?

DamienD 10 July 2019 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by malko (Post 1331702)
I have used the Links version from DDWC but none of the courses I have copied on the courses' folder are appearing on the list within the game.
Did you use the same version ?

In my collection I'm using the WHDLoad version on a bare bones / self-booting .HDF: Links&DataDisks_v1.01_2481.lha