English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   AmiModRadio - All of Aminet modules at your fingertips (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=79117)

tygre 20 July 2015 05:47

AmiModRadio - All of Aminet modules at your fingertips

http://www.chingu.asia/wiki/userfile...adio.small.png
Did you know that, as of today (2015/06/02), there are more than 20,000 packages in the mods directory on Aminet? Yes! That's more than 20,000 modules to play and enjoy! http://www.chingu.asia/wiki/FCKedito...ades_smile.gif So, why not have a program that could automatically download one module at-a-time, extract it, and play it? This is the purpose of AmiModRadio...

Essentials
AmiModRadio is composed essentially of four parts:
  • A small FTP client to access Aminet and download archives containing modules;
  • A XAD client to unarchive the downloaded archives;
  • A ARexx command-and-control system to gently ask players to play the module;
  • A MUI interface to control the various parts of AmiModRadio, in particular to permanently saved desired modules as well as pause/play and skip modules.

Downloads
AmiModRadio is open source. Its source code and binaries are available on SourceForge and BitBucket http://www.chingu.asia/wiki/FCKedito.../msn/heart.gif! Manual and other resources are available on its Web page. AmiModRadio binaries are available here:

Usage
You can start AmiModRadio at any times from a Shell but RexxMast and a supported player must be availabe for options 2. or 6. to function: RexxMast and either EaglePlayer, HippoPlayer, or MultiPlayer must be running for options 2. or 6. to run :)

Contributing
Please contribute by asking for features or reporting bugs!

Icon by Rob under CC BY v3.0, thanks!

ptyerman 20 July 2015 07:16

Wow, cool. Trying it out now. :great

ptyerman 20 July 2015 07:43

Unfortunately it's not working for me under emulation with Amikit or ClassicWB at the moment. It just throws up a no modules to collect message.
I haven't messed with it much yet though as I have no time this morning, I will try it on my real Amiga's later tonight and look at why it's complaining under emulation.

wXR 20 July 2015 14:03

Awesome idea!

Linking in our Open Source Amiga thread...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=77722&page=14

tygre 20 July 2015 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by wXR (Post 1031519)
Awesome idea!

Linking in our Open Source Amiga thread...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=77722&page=14

Thanks a lot!

Retrofan 20 July 2015 16:17

It doesn't work here either. It doesn't load any module and not even the "About" works. It fails with the init_arexx_connection_player.

And also it hangs the system if you return to WB.

tygre 20 July 2015 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptyerman (Post 1031476)
Unfortunately it's not working for me under emulation with Amikit or ClassicWB at the moment. It just throws up a no modules to collect message.
I haven't messed with it much yet though as I have no time this morning, I will try it on my real Amiga's later tonight and look at why it's complaining under emulation.

Sorry to read that, I will PM you to try to fix the problem. I have tried it on AmiKit at home and it works but there may be other bugs in my code :)

Retrofan 20 July 2015 16:26

The idea is very good, but if it works right with your program then it would be better to make another with a radio skin just the kind of AmigaAMP. Volume control, Random option and Text with the name or others on screen. Maybe a search option too. Maybe it also could work with other places that store mods.

tygre 20 July 2015 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrofan (Post 1031535)
It doesn't work here either. It doesn't load any module and not even the "About" works. It fails with the init_arexx_connection_player.

And also it hangs the system if you return to WB.

Sorry to read these problems! I have try it on AmiKit (for Real) but I must have missed something, I will PM you to try to solve this issue...

Talk to you soon!

tygre 20 July 2015 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrofan (Post 1031538)
The idea is very good, but if it works right with your program then it would be better to make another with a radio skin just the kind of AmigaAMP. Volume control, Random option and Text with the name or others on screen. Maybe a search option too. Maybe it also could work with other places that store mods.

Definitely good ideas! But as you can see, I am still honing my programming skills... so your suggestion is not lost: it will just take time to implement :p (But you can have a first idea by exectuing AmiModRadio MUI ;))

Thanks!

Retrofan 20 July 2015 19:59

Yes, it has to be extremely difficult. But if you have something as you've got and Thomas likes the idea I know then he can help you, he's the Man.

Edit: AmimodRadio MUI shows its window with empty "buttons".

tygre 20 July 2015 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrofan (Post 1031572)
Yes, it has to be extremely difficult. But if you have something as you've got and Thomas likes the idea I know then he can help you, he's the Man.

Edit: AmimodRadio MUI shows its window with empty "buttons".

Yes, still working on it... Now that most of the functions are implemented (minus the reported bugs, of course ;)), I can focus on MUI... I welcome any help to implement a skin engine like AmigaAmp!

(PS. I modified the first post to explain how to use AmiModPlayer.)

Cheers!

Retrofan 20 July 2015 21:03

Yep, running first Hip it works and as I told you it is very promissing :D

ptyerman 21 July 2015 02:19

Excellent, working now. I didn't get home until really late so, sorry for the delay in replying.
I just logged in to say I figured out why it wasn't working but I noticed you updated the post. It's working fine with Hippo Player opened first.

tygre 21 July 2015 03:34

@ptyerman and @Retrofan

Glad that it works well now! Sorry for the confusion though :)

Enjoy!

Daedalus 21 July 2015 09:59

Excellent idea! It might be an idea to check for a player on startup and give a warning if one isn't found... Try searching to the HippoPlayer ARexx port for example and popping up a warning requester if it's not found, instead of just failing.

I'll try it out over the next few days when I get a chance.

tygre 21 July 2015 17:01

Hi Daedalus!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 1031668)
Excellent idea! It might be an idea to check for a player on startup and give a warning if one isn't found... Try searching to the HippoPlayer ARexx port for example and popping up a warning requester if it's not found, instead of just failing.

Absolutely! Actually, this is what AmiModRadio does... but the error message is so unclear that I realise now that it is completely unhelpful ;) The next release will definitely do better! :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 1031668)
I'll try it out over the next few days when I get a chance.

Let me know of your impressions!
Cheers!

tolkien 22 July 2015 14:17

Great idea. Would It works with MorphOS? I'll try today.
Thanks tygre.

Predseda 22 July 2015 14:29

This is just an amazing idea! I have to get it working on my Amiga, playing random modules from the internet in background while working in Deluxe Paint would be pure heaven! I hope it doesnt eat much chipmem.

modrobert 22 July 2015 18:06

Working fine on my A1200 with WB 3.1, using HippoPlayer, great way of utilizing ARexx. :great

BTW: Might be worth mentioning that you need to start the RexxMast tool in Workbench, but most users probably figure that out themselves.

EDIT:

Looking forward to "automatic download of next song when current finishes" (instead of repeat), and the "save song" function failed for me, so just copied the current module file from t: in another shell window.