English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Using larger drives off of ide connector with os3.1? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=63669)

fishyfish 25 March 2012 14:05

Using larger drives off of ide connector with os3.1?

After wrestling a little to get my 32gig cf card formatted on my a1200 I decided to try live booting my amithlon/os3.9 cd with the cf card connected through a 3.5<->2.5 inch ide adaptor and a 2.5 inch ide<-> cf adaptor and I was pleased to see it all worked perfectly. From there I simply used os3.9 hdtoolbox which read the drive fine and I could format it without problems (doing it under winuae was giving me some grief and I could never get it working there).

Anyway, now that the drive is prepared, partitioned, and formatted I was hoping someone could tell me anything else I need to be aware of? Ive never used a large hdd with the internal ide port before, and not with os3.1 either. Ive kept partitions to 4 gig and under to be safe, but is there anything I might also need to be aware of or do to get the card/drive working exactly as it should? Ive seem mention of needing to patch scsi.device? What's the story there?

It seems to be working now ok, but there's not a lot on the drive. I dread copying lots of software and games, etc. to the drive only to find things going haywaire once it goes beyond a certain percentage full.

If anyone could clarify thes stuff for me Id greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

fishyfish 26 March 2012 10:32

Sorry for this, but Im itching to get my a1200 set up properly again....

**bump**

Do I need to patch scsi.device to use the full capacity of the drive, or is it just for prepping the drive? It appears to be fine having used amithlon + os3.9 HDTB, but I want to know sure before I do too much with it.
An additional question though. Can I just use os3.9 scsi.device rather than patching the one from os3.1?
If someone could clarify things for me Id very much appreciate it.

Thanks.

Bamiga2002 26 March 2012 11:06

Maybe you'll find necessary information on this thread.

fishyfish 26 March 2012 17:43

Thanks Bamiga2002. The info in that thread is a lot clearer than Id found elsewhere.
Glad I asked now, while it appeared to be ok I suspect the way Id done it wouldve caused me problems pretty quickly.

fishyfish 01 May 2012 19:12

This is really pissing me off. Id really appreciate if someone could help me please.

So far Ive:

Installed PFS3
Installed IDEFix97
Intalled SCSI_IDE_43_23
Patched with patchstrip

Yet it still doesnt find anything but my dh0 (1gig) partition.
I created all partitions with os3.9 by live booting my amithlon cd before I started this whole process.
Im really eager to use my amiga again, but the simple act of preparing a drive is pissing me off no end. Please someone help me or I'm likely to stab my amiga to death.

Is this even possible with Winuae (possibly some problems wih ide stuff?). Even on a 4.8ghz i7-2600k its painfully sloooow using MMU emulation (my os setup requires one) and cycle exact to even boot the system, let alone trying to do anything useful with it.

johnim 01 May 2012 19:27

hi mate have a look at my guides in my sig they may help

fishyfish 01 May 2012 20:19

Jesaulenko, you beauty! :) (sorry, probably something only (some) Australians will fully understand, but I suspect the jist can be worked out by anyone) :)

Anyway, long story short Ive *finally* worked out what Id done wrong (or more accurately, what I hadnt done). While Id installed pfs3, I hadnt yet added it to hdtoolbox. As soon as I changed one partition to use it and rebooted all my partitions showed up, and it started reading from them (my user-startup points to partitions other than dh0:, which it wouldnt find before, but it does now so its definately working (not tested properly yet, but at least its at a point that I can transfer the card back to my a1200 and fix from there if need be).

Id gotten a little too familiar/comfortable with OS3.9 I guess, quite frutrating going back to 3.1 and having to re-learn some stuff. Despite this frustration though Im glad I did, never hurts to brush up on these things for future reference :)

Anyway, thanks johnim, while I didnt specifically use your guide looking at it made me realise what Id done wrong.

Apart from this I wholeheartedly mean it when I say:

Woo and/or hoo!! :)

johnim 01 May 2012 20:23

great stuff fishyfish