English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   apollo 1260 problems (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=51481)

Nikolaj_sofus 10 March 2010 18:08

apollo 1260 problems

I recently bought an apollo 1260 on amibay as non working.
after cleaning the connectors, trying without ram, removing and replacing the mach chips, changing the cpu, i then changed the 50 mhz crystal for a 40 mhz one.
The last thing seemed to do the trick.
Suddenly i started getting a red flashing software screen instead of the pitch black screen i've been getting so far.
I removed the harddrive and it came up with the kickstart screen straight away!
I then plugged my harddrive into my pc and added 68060.library and cpu060 to the libs folder and the c folder.
Now i were able to boot up workbench, but as soon as i tryed to access my system drive, it crashed.

After all of this, i changed the 40 mhz crystal for a 66 mhz and i just got the black screen back.
I also set the clock jumper to 040 when applying the 66 mhz crystal to not run the ram at 66 mhz.
This leads me to think that it is not actually the crystal which is defect, but some sort of timing issue.

I do have a 1d4 mainboard, but i checked it out and it looks like the timing fixes is applied.
It also run perfectly well with an apollo 1240/40, would this work if there were a timing issue?

I guess that the crashing after successful boot into wb3.1 is due to some configuration issues, so that's something i would have to look into.
Hints would be appreciated, but are not the priority right now :)

Does anyone have any idea about what could cause the problem regarding the 50+ mhz crystals?

Hope that someone can shed some light on this :)

dabone 10 March 2010 19:03

Put the 40mhz back in and let the card cool off.
See if it boots once or twice then.
If it works for a little bit then goes full black again, get a can of freeze spray and turn off, spray 1 chip, power on and see if that helped, etc.

Also, you do have an upgraded power supply right? Like a ATX style?
Big accelerators need lots of power.

Later,
dabone

Cosmos 10 March 2010 19:10

E123C and E125C ?

:confused:confused:confused

Nikolaj_sofus 10 March 2010 19:11

i'm using an a500 psu, which works perfectly well with my apollo 1240/40 accelerator.

my 060 card has a, mask 71e41j cpu, so it should actually use less power then the xc68040 cpu on my 040 card.

also, i'm quite sure its not because of overheating, since i haven't actually had the 060 up running for more then 2-3 minutes at the time, since i'm still on the "trying to get things up running" stage :)

Nikolaj_sofus 10 March 2010 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmos (Post 650525)
E123C and E125C ?

as i remember it, the resistors are not present on the board.

I red somewhere that those two should be removed if there are problems.

Cosmos 10 March 2010 19:43

... or should be soldered ?!

8bitbubsy 10 March 2010 19:57

They are not important on a 1D.4 board. You ease a bit on the clock bus when you remove them, afaik. Makes it easier for accs.

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/am..._mobo_fix.html

Nikolaj_sofus 10 March 2010 20:01

so so far no ideas about what can be the problem?
any components on the apollo board which can be damaged to such an extend, that they will work, but not at too high frequencies?

Zetr0 10 March 2010 20:09

@Nikolaj_sofus

The reason for the guru when loading WB is that you need to update the 040/060 libraries

------

removed the drive and try booting on 50mhz without any RAM installed.

I have a hunch that your ram just might not be fast enough for any more than 20 ish Mhz.

you just need a disk-insert screen, thats a good sign =D

now try different RAM,

I would suggest you put the RAM CLK in 040 mode as this will divide the ram speed at 50% of the main clock... i.e. 50mhz CPU clock becomes 25Mhz memory clock.

its less stress on the memory and its ascociated logics.

few ram sticks will run at 50mhz properly, I would suggest you search for some Fast Page (FPM) 60 or 50ns speed rated sticks (50n is quite rare)

Nikolaj_sofus 10 March 2010 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zetr0 (Post 650544)

The reason for the guru when loading WB is that you need to update the 040/060 libraries

i already did this.
strangely enough it crashes instantly when using both 68040.lib and 68060.lib.
When using only 68060.lib, it boots from the harddrive, but then crashes when i try to access the harddrive.

I'm running bloodwych's classic wb 3.1 full on a sfs formatted 8 gb microdrive using patched scsi.device

any ideas about what should be changed to make it run?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zetr0 (Post 650544)

removed the drive and try booting on 50mhz without any RAM installed.

I have a hunch that your ram just might not be fast enough for any more than 20 ish Mhz.

you just need a disk-insert screen, thats a good sign =D

now try different RAM,

I would suggest you put the RAM CLK in 040 mode as this will divide the ram speed at 50% of the main clock... i.e. 50mhz CPU clock becomes 25Mhz memory clock.

its less stress on the memory and its ascociated logics.

few ram sticks will run at 50mhz properly, I would suggest you search for some Fast Page (FPM) 60 or 50ns speed rated sticks (50n is quite rare)

already tried all that before getting the 40 mhz crystal.
anyway, when the memory seems to run at 40 mhz, i guess it should also run at half clock with the 50 mhz. crystal right?

It was a 60 ns edo block which were on the 060.
Just took the fpm module from my 040 board and put on... still the same.

Haven't tried the last one with the 50 mhz crystal, since i doubt it will work, when it doesn't even work without the memory

Toni Wilen 10 March 2010 21:20

Run SetPatch, does list of patches mention 68060 support? Does CPU060 say caches and FPU is enabled?

Nikolaj_sofus 10 March 2010 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 650567)
Run SetPatch, does list of patches mention 68060 support? Does CPU060 say caches and FPU is enabled?

how do i see what cpu060 does? :)
i'm quite a miggy noob.
How do i run setpatch?
Startup_sequence command or?

Damion 11 March 2010 07:25

My Apollo is fussy with oscillators - I could never get the 66MHz ones working here, but 70, 72, 75, etc all work fine (CLK jumper set to 040).

Try running the Apollo CPU60 command from shell (boot without startup-sequence), among other things it should return

System: 68060MC Rev 6

Quote:

strangely enough it crashes instantly when using both 68040.lib and 68060.lib.
When using only 68060.lib, it boots from the harddrive, but then crashes when i try to access the harddrive.
Ultimately, I think you still have a library problem. Older versions of setpatch don't load the '060 lib directly - they use a "dummy" '040 lib which then loads the 68060.library. On the Apollo install disk, there should be two 68040 libraries. You want the SMALL filesize one in your libs: drawer, along with the '060 lib ofc. IIRC, the wrong '040 lib will cause an instant crash, whereas no CPU library (your case with only the '060 lib and old setpatch) will allow some limited operation.

After you get it going, I recommend installing the processor libraries from Thomas Richter's MMULib package, they work great on the Apollo. I'd be happy to stick a floppy in the mail with the proper CPU libraries, just shoot me a PM.

Toni Wilen 11 March 2010 08:01

Keep both mouse buttons pressed when powering on. Select "Boot without startup-sequence".

Type setpatch<return>. Do you see 68060 support loaded? (or something like that) If not, do what post above says.

Nikolaj_sofus 11 March 2010 12:08

thanks guys.... i'll try that when i get home from work :)

for the crystal issues... i find it a bit odd that it wont accept a 50 mhz crystal.
It doesnt even work with the ram speed halfed or the memory completly removed.

Can it have something to do with the smd cap. on the board?.... would it be a prudent course of action to replace it?

Nikolaj_sofus 11 March 2010 16:23

tried booting up with no startup_sequence.

ran cpu060 and it returned "no 68060 found, please upgrade".

for the setpatch, it came up with a long list of things that it installed.
Is that something you have to do every time?

Nikolaj_sofus 11 March 2010 16:49

downloaded the apollo install disk from the amiga hardware database and took the lib files from there.

It seems to be working now and cpu060 returns a "system: 68060mc rev. 6" :)

now i just need to figure out why i wont accept my 50 mhz and above crystals.

It would be nice to be able to run it higher then 40 mhz.

Thanks for all your help so far.

anyway, if i should fail to get it up running at higher then 40 mhz, i guess 95 euros for a working apollo 1260 board is still a decent price :)

8bitbubsy 11 March 2010 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikolaj_sofus (Post 650840)
now i just need to figure out why i wont accept my 50 mhz and above crystals.

Probably because of too fast RAM timing.

Nikolaj_sofus 12 March 2010 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy (Post 650955)
Probably because of too fast RAM timing.

as i said... with the ram completly removed, it works fine... so how can it then be a fast ram timing problem?

Damion 12 March 2010 07:45

Does the Apollo work with the 40MHz oscillator and the CLK jumper set to '040? Or only with the jumper at '060?