English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Gods -Deluxe- beta released (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=32979)

jotd 04 November 2007 23:44

Gods -Deluxe- beta released

Hi there,

Check Gods Deluxe beta version available here: http://perso.orange.fr/jotd/gods

All levels are playable, still some minor bugs to correct... enjoy

keropi 04 November 2007 23:53

VERY NICE!!!!
thanks!!!!
it would be awesome to encapsulate all files to a single EXE with a menu though

Retro-Nerd 05 November 2007 00:05

Thanks for this release, jotd. Looks really nice, have to check the remixed tunes too. :great

Charlie 05 November 2007 00:26

Yummy :)

DamienD 05 November 2007 00:33

Nice work jotd :great

...updated your entry in the EAB Projects thread :)

turrican3 05 November 2007 04:42

once again great job jotd, but will you introduce the possibility to play the musics in game ?
(classic) And in my memories the amiga version wasn't so blocky, i suppose it was a television effect, but even on a monitor it wasn't so blocky.
Perhaps i'm wrong ?
well done jotd :great

jotd 05 November 2007 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by turrican3 (Post 369022)
once again great job jotd, but will you introduce the possibility to play the musics in game ?
(classic) And in my memories the amiga version wasn't so blocky, i suppose it was a television effect, but even on a monitor it wasn't so blocky.
Perhaps i'm wrong ?
well done jotd :great

compare the original graphics with the retouched ones using the options menu.
Also check the original game using WinUAE.

About playing music in game, yes, I'd like it but I'm not sure that playing the remixed title tracks would be good. If you have any .mod file that would fit the gameplay, I'd like to hear it. I already selected some mods from aminet (mod/tranc).

kriz 05 November 2007 23:09

Cool!

Muzkat 06 November 2007 10:06

Can't wait to download this!!!

Myriel 11 November 2007 09:05

Nice one. But why don´t you use the music from the pc lapc-1 version ? It´s awesome. Maybe someone likes to rip the tunes or has already done it.
Otherwise keep up the good work :-)

Muzkat 11 November 2007 09:34

Wonderful work! Thank you so very much! This is the best game ever!

jotd 11 November 2007 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muzkat (Post 370582)
Wonderful work! Thank you so very much! This is the best game ever!

Agreed! BTW Anyone wants to help me to design new levels? It does not require graphical skills since the original level tiles can be reused. Knowledge in java scripting/coding is good, but even without that that could help.

twizzle 11 November 2007 14:06

jotd,
i only wish that i could help you, but i dont have the knowledge :-(

you might want to take a look at the score generator (amiga ver)
as when i get to my 10 >12th time around,
it will start adding into your score all the symbol`s into it? when it reaches 320.000 + not just numbers, ie $ , pots gold crystals etc etc.

from a expert gods player

Bloodwych 11 November 2007 14:21

I absolutely love this!

Great work, and new levels would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks and looking forward to future releases.

jotd 11 November 2007 16:05

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by twizzle (Post 370618)
jotd,
i only wish that i could help you, but i dont have the knowledge :-(

you might want to take a look at the score generator (amiga ver)
as when i get to my 10 >12th time around,
it will start adding into the your score all the symbol`s into it? when it reaches 320.000 + not just numbers, ie $ , pots gold crystals etc etc.

from a expert gods player

I know you're an expert Gods player, and in that quality I'm sure you can help (first, maybe you can tell me if you see any notable and bothering difference with the original).

Then, all you need to create new levels is a picture editor (Paint Shop) in grid mode (32x16), grab little bits of image of the level you want to copy from (example: open "the city" map and create a new map using the same tiles, and copy entire zones of it into your new map)

Then use the Gods level editor to position monsters, traps, keys, doors... and lots of things can be done using the association editor (when player enables "lever_2" and has "key_3" then open "door_3", etc...)

For more complex stuff, you can add Java code using a specific API (I don't know how ACL looked like but I'm sure that Gods Java API is more powerful :))

Check my work screen (taken while I was redoing level 4 from a longplay from Abrasion):

Attachment 15226

On the top left corner, you can see my level editor, with all the colorful rectangles which indicate the position of the hostiles, the zones which trigger bonuses, hostiles ..., on the top right corner, here's an .avi player with Abrasion video, and on the bottom right corner, there's Eclipse SDK when the complex behavior of the level is being crafted (on the bottom left corner there's completely irrelevant stuff such as a part of one of my cats and my wife's laptop).

I've designed a full original level (90% complete) from "The City" map, and all the puzzles and rooms are different. It was really not a great programming effort.

About the scoring system, I don't intend to reproduce the bugs of the original game, but I'm going to put your information in my "original game bugs" section.

bye

Dastardly 11 November 2007 16:43

Great work Jotd!

Any objections to me posting this over at The Chaos Regime? I'm sure there are lots of Gods fans out there who would be very interested in this project.

:great

jotd 11 November 2007 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dastardly (Post 370644)
Great work Jotd!

Any objections to me posting this over at The Chaos Regime? I'm sure there are lots of Gods fans out there who would be very interested in this project.

:great

Thanks, feel free to post anything on the subject, and you can also check the "files" section of the Chaos Regime site (yes, kametyken has given me the passwords) for I have added some links.

Dastardly 11 November 2007 16:58

Nice one. Just playing through world 3 now :)

EDIT: got killed by the Centurion :/ I'm seriously out of practice!

Dastardly 11 November 2007 17:42

Just played through some of your custom level and its absolutely brilliant to play Gods again and not know exactly whats coming next!

I love it!

I demand you make more!

jotd 11 November 2007 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dastardly (Post 370652)
Just played through some of your custom level and its absolutely brilliant to play Gods again and not know exactly whats coming next!

I love it!

I demand you make more!

That's the whole point: doing new levels. Remaking the game has no point if you cannot extend it.

I was playing my new level at the same time, and I noticed a lot of problems. But even I had forgotten my tricks, and that was fun :)

I think I have made it a little too much challenging :)

With all the positive feedback I got on EAB and retroremakes forums, I can guarantee that more levels are to come. And contributors are welcome too. I saw what has been done with Turrican 2002 and even if I don't like Turrican as much as Gods, that's the kind of thing I'd like to see.