English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   EAB member meeting summer 2008 - V (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=34629)

viddi 31 January 2008 22:09

EAB member meeting summer 2008 - V

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie (Post 388892)
@Mick_AKA (& meega):

Yes, good point.

Still if it must be London then a venue that involves the least misery for the rest of us would be great.

Quick Google

'E' & 'F' still count as greater London ;)

Both seem to have good road & rail links & London is lousy with airports.

Never been to either TBH

Okay, the poll is closed. We´ll meet in London.
Charlie made a good point and I´d like to invite everyone knowing the place to find a nice venue.

But what shall we do first?

Find out about

- the attendance?

- the costs?

- the equipment?

Please help. I would really appreciate that. :)
Thanks a lot, Amigans.

Fred the Fop 01 February 2008 07:50

Find fat homosexual crossdressers for fun times.

Mick_AKA 01 February 2008 11:19

You're dad was unavailable.

Graham Humphrey 01 February 2008 11:55

I think this thread should be made sticky now ;)

Not that I've got anything constructive to add; I don't know anything about London...

Oli_HD 01 February 2008 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by viddi (Post 392526)
Okay, the poll is closed. We´ll meet in London.

Yay, great news! (There is a direct train from Lichfield to London so thats dead easy for me)

Quote:

I´d like to invite everyone knowing the place to find a nice venue.
Sorry I dont know the place, Shame the Novotel is £170 a night else that would have been fun. :)

Quote:

But what shall we do first?
Well a quick post on some of the other miggy sites should gauge how many people would be interested, and as the Big Bash is off for another year you may get lots coming just for their fix. You arnt going to be able to get a accurate number until we have a date though.
The cost is the thing that needs to be sorted imho but just sending an e-mail to the different places should get a reply fast enough.
I wouldnt worry about equipment though, Im sure that could be sorted out as we go. (/me throws a ethernet video camera in so everyone can see us playing)

I will look on the net for cheap venues but as I aint a londoner I cant go door to door, sry.

But yay, party! :lol

viddi 01 February 2008 12:30

Don´t worry, Graham. ;)

Thanks for your help Oli! :great

I still think we should find a venue with the possibility to stay overnight. (showers would be FANTASTIC)

No Fred, don´t even think about posting something "shower related"! ;)

So, my suggestion is:

Let´s find (something like) an assembly hall, a gym or a youth centre.

Oli_HD 01 February 2008 12:40

Quote:

So, my suggestion is:
Let´s find (something like) an assembly hall, a gym or a youth centre.
Yes, those should be cheap and large so thats good.
Im doing a search on the net for london venues and this is probably a no go but I thought I would throw it in The Brewery, It is probably expensive though.. and I dont know if overnight-ers are on but ffs its a brewery! Piss up anyone? (ok so its not a brewery now but still...)

viddi 01 February 2008 12:45

Great, Oli. :)

I´ll search the web this evening, too.
The Brewery looks interesting, but yes, it might be expensive.

Thanks for your efforts.

Oli_HD 01 February 2008 12:56

Sorry for spamming a bit but Amigakit have said they would support any Amiga show so hey "EAB member meeting sponsored by AmigaKit At The Hilton" has a nice ring to it.
Anyway, thats my last post for a while. I will keep searching the net.

-----edit------
Ok, this looks a good site: http://www.venuemasters.co.uk
Room prices quoted are dead cheap (depends on the place and if they are the correct price) everyone could afford them.
I have to say I like all the places they have listed, we should do it boardroom layout as that looks cool :)

Rudei 01 February 2008 13:09

I'm in, put me down for attendance!

Rude!

Raid27 06 February 2008 10:59

Guys! Dont forget the most important question of all: The supply of alcoholic beverages!

DDNI 10 February 2008 21:54

If we settle on any of the major London hotels, let me know before booking as my company uses most of them, and I can book at a preferential rate.

Amiga1992 11 February 2008 20:59

Keep me posted and I might show up.
But London is effin expensive. Who was the lazy arse who chose this? It should be done somewhere cheap as Berlin.

Graham Humphrey 11 February 2008 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 394971)
But London is effin expensive. Who was the lazy arse who chose this?

Blame this lot here ;)

FOOLS! :D

Mick_AKA 11 February 2008 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDNI (Post 394817)
If we settle on any of the major London hotels, let me know before booking as my company uses most of them, and I can book at a preferential rate.

If we settle on any of the major London hotels count me out, there would be no way I could afford it.

Graham Humphrey 12 February 2008 00:04

This is one of the reasons I was hoping to get somewhere else, this could easily price quite a few of us out who really want to go.

Amiga1992 12 February 2008 00:59

It's cost-wise ridiculous to do this in London. People probably chose it because it was conveniently located for them.

If you make it affordable I can go.
Then again, who cares if I can :P

Hey I will only go if andreas goes ;D

Magno Boots 12 February 2008 01:19

I don't want to stir anything here but many are obviously concerned about the travel down country and the cost of staying in London.

Is there still time to reconsider? (sorry Viddi)

I suggest a good halfway point would be Cambridge, as it has the following..

Cheaper
More centralised
Ten minutes away (up M11) from Paul's church
Home of the Speccy!

Only a suggestion.

As I say, my intention isn't to ruffle any feathers.

Magno

viddi 12 February 2008 10:17

Hi friends.

I followed the discussion from a distance by now and really thought of a "reconsider poll" between Cambridge and London since the old poll closed.

Many people voted for the hinterland of Cambridge as well, so this would be fair.

Magno and the others already stated some important facts...so what do you (especially you London guys) think of a jump-off between Cambridge and London?

Hungry Horace 12 February 2008 10:28

London won the poll by a pretty large margin.

Only central London is expensive. and only if you are determined to say in "a major london hotel" - Why not try to find somewhere zone 4 or beyond?