English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Cody's "Amiga Games That Are Movies" List (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=3269)

CodyJarrett 06 February 2002 23:44

Cody's "Amiga Games That Are Movies" List

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, so I half stole the idea from Amiga Power, but here are a load of Amiga games that are quite like movies - and I don't just mean film licences!

No. 1 - "Civilization" IS "The Man Who Would Be King"

The Movie - "The Man Who Would Be King"
The film of Rudyard Kipling's novel sees British adventurers Daniel Dravot (Sean Connery) and Peachy Carnahan (Michael Caine) become Kings in the country of Kafiristan. Danny and Peachy are taken for gods and live in a palace. Their quest for conquest takes them to the battlefield and beyond.

The Amiga Game - "Civilization"
The game of Sid Meier sees the player (you) set out with his nomadic tribe to become a King and create a country. The player is taken for a god by the people, who build a palace for him. The player's quest for conquest takes him to the battlefield and beyond.

jmmijo 07 February 2002 01:07

1 Attachment(s)
Good one Cody :)

Now an obvious one...

Movie: Them! Starring James Whittmore and Edmund Gwenn.

Amiga Game: It Came From the Desert 1 & 2

http://www.cinemaware.com/news.asp?news=itcamerom

CodyJarrett 07 February 2002 11:13

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks jmmijo - I've added it to the list!

No.2 - "It Came From The Desert" IS "Them"

The Movie - "Them"
Gigantic ants, mutated by nuclear experiments attack towns in 50s America. From the desert. They must be stopped!

The Amiga Game - "It Came From The Desert"
Gigantic ants, mutated by nuclear experiments (I think!) attack towns in 50s America. From the desert. You must stop them!

Fred the Fop 08 February 2002 00:00

Brilliant, Cody! A combination of your love of the cinema and the Amiga games!
Might I suggest you place "The Empire Strikes Back " in this thread? Everone knows it was based on "Alice Does'nt Live Here Anymore". :P

LaundroMat 08 February 2002 00:11

And Little Computer People vs. The Truman Show!

CodyJarrett 08 February 2002 08:09

1 Attachment(s)
Yup, Laundromat!

No. 3 - "Little Computer People" IS "The Truman Show"

The Movie - "The Truman Show"
Truman Burbank's life is constantly watched on TV by viewers and controlled by someone on the moon. The show ends when the off switch on the TV is pressed.

The Amiga Game - "Little Computer People"
A little computer person's life is constantly watched on a TV/monitor by a player and controlled from the player's room. The show ends when the off switch on the TV/monitor is pressed.

CodyJarrett 08 February 2002 08:13

And no, I wouldn't put in The Empire Strikes Back and Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore!

jmmijo 08 February 2002 09:54

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another one for you:

The Movie: Erik the Viking, one from Monty Python alum Terry Jones. http://us.imdb.com/Title?0097289

The Amiga Game: The Lost Vikings by Interplay. Damn, their web site does not have any Amiga titles listed, not even a freakin' archive section :mad perhaps Cody will have the game info :)

CodyJarrett 08 February 2002 10:46

1 Attachment(s)
Mmmm, I'm not sure if there is a big link between The Lost Vikings and Erik The Viking, apart from some Vikings!

Here's another one, while I think about it...

No. 4 - "Wings" IS "The Dawn Patrol"

The Movie - "The Dawn Patrol"
Errol Flynn is a daring pilot in WW1, flying risky missions in his crate. His tough Major, Basil Rathbone, gives him a hard time. Around him, pilots are regularly killed in action.

The Amiga Game - "Wings"
You are a daring pilot in WW1, flying risky missions in your crate. Your tough Major gives you a hard time and tells you to keep a journal. Around you, pilots are regularly killed in action.

Tim Janssen 08 February 2002 11:28

Rollerball

Here is an obvious one: Bitmap Bros’Speedball 1 & 2 ARE Rollerball starring James Caan. The Bitmap Bros once admitted the Speedball-games were heavily influenced by this movie.

Steve 08 February 2002 13:10

What about these

Sly Spy - Any of the Sean Connery Bond Films
Colonization - The Patriot
B17 Flying Fortress - Memphis Belle
Escape from Colditz - The Great Escape

CodyJarrett 08 February 2002 14:16

1 Attachment(s)
Steve - now this game is too obviously a copy of Bond!

No. 5 - "Sly Spy" IS "Any James Bond Movie"

The Movie - "Any James Bond Film"
Super-spy saves the world, and along the way killing, shooting, having sex with beautiful women and performing amazing action stunts.

The Amiga Game - "Sly Spy"
Super-spy saves the world, and along the way killing, shooting, having sex with beautiful women and performing amazing action stunts.

CodyJarrett 08 February 2002 14:52

1 Attachment(s)
And here's Tim's one...

No. 6 - "Speedball 2" IS "Rollerball (1975 version)"

The Movie - "Rollerball"
Futuristic sport turns violent when money is involved. Non-sports bits are extremely boring!

The Amiga Game
Futuristic sport turn violent, just because. Much better than the film!

Tim Janssen 08 February 2002 15:14

In the name of the rose

I am not quite sure about this one since I have never played the game: Sanctuary is The name of the Rose.
Both movie and Amiga text-adventure are whodunnits. Both are situated in the dark ages where someone commited a suicide in a monastry.

CodyJarrett 08 February 2002 16:24

I don't think I've heard of Sanctuary - is it commercial?

Tim Janssen 08 February 2002 16:55

Death race sanctuary

Yes, Sanctuary is a commercial German text-adventure which was reviewed by Amiga Joker in January 1992. Pity I have that very mag at my parents’ house otherwise I could scan in the review of that game. I’ll have to wait another week. :(

By the way, here is another entry: MicroValue’s Turbo (1989) is Death Race 2000 (1975). Both game and movie are about a race which must be completed within a tight timelimit. There are no rules so the contestants blow up each other, drive over pedestrians and destroy generally everything in their environment.

Twistin'Ghost 08 February 2002 16:55

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by CodyJarrett
Mmmm, I'm not sure if there is a big link between The Lost Vikings and Erik The Viking, apart from some Vikings!
Mmm...what about the game Erik (aka Erik The Viking)?

CodyJarrett 08 February 2002 17:16

What about The Vikings with Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis? That's got vikings in it too.

No!

Just because Fire And Ice has dogs in it doesn't mean that there is a link between it and Lassie Come Home, for Christ's sake! :)

Drake1009 08 February 2002 18:21

Wasn't it a cyote in fire and ice? It starred as far as I recall "Cool cyote"

CodyJarrett 08 February 2002 18:33

Yeah, you're right...