English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Nova's "Sorry!" demo breaks between 3.4.0 and 3.5.0 (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=90259)

Foebane 16 January 2018 07:50

Nova's "Sorry!" demo breaks between 3.4.0 and 3.5.0

4 Attachment(s)
https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=66939

I ran this just yesterday on 3.5.0, having run it before back on 3.4.0, and I thought for a second I'd downloaded a faulty version of the demo, but I've just confirmed: an animation early on in the demo breaks between these two versions, after the black and white title screen. Normally, it pops up from the bottom of the screen, animates the spiral and balls, and then pops down again. In the broken version, the animation appears suddenly and looks very sluggish.

Screenshots and logs included. Sorry this is so close to the release of 3.6.0, Toni. :bowdown

DamienD 16 January 2018 09:24

Have you tested using the latest v3.6.0 beta 19 file Foebane?

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae_3600b19.7z
http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae64_3600b19.7z

I presume this is an AGA demo; do you have "Cycle-exact (Full)" ticked perhaps?

Toni Wilen 16 January 2018 09:32

It is unexpanded A1200 demo so there is nothing unexpected.

Foebane 16 January 2018 09:33

Just tried this new version, checkbox ticked, but no joy - same graphical glitch as in the second picture.

Same configuration, as well, just so you know.

StingRay 16 January 2018 09:53

Demo works fine for me on 3.5, tried several times, no glitches.

Foebane 16 January 2018 10:00

1 Attachment(s)
As far as I can tell, the Pouet.net and Demozoo links are the same, so I cannot figure out why I've got a problem and no-one else seems to. Is my configuration OK?

DamienD 16 January 2018 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1212253)
Just tried this new version, checkbox ticked, but no joy - same graphical glitch as in the second picture.

Same configuration, as well, just so you know.

I meant that if you have it ticked you should untick Cycle-exact (Full) for AGA games / demos.

Foebane 16 January 2018 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1212264)
I meant that if you have it ticked you should untick Cycle-exact (Full) for AGA games / demos.

Ah.

I did that, and not only did the animation appear and run correctly, but it seems faster than before.

How come it doesn't work correctly if ticked in these newer versions? The checkbox says it's "the most compatible A500/A1200 emulation mode", so I just left it ticked. I never had problems before.

DamienD 16 January 2018 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1212275)
How come it doesn't work correctly if ticked in these newer versions? The checkbox says it's "the most compatible A500/A1200 emulation mode", so I just left it ticked. I never had problems before.

Between 3.4.0 & 3.5.0 there were loads of changes to cycle-exact for 68020 etc... it's all in v3.5.0 the release logs.

Foebane 16 January 2018 11:18

OK, I'll change that config.

Should I untick the "cycle-exact (DMA/memory accesses)" as well, or is that OK to leave checked?

DamienD 16 January 2018 11:36

No you can leave that.

...if ever in doubt, use one of the Quickstarts and look at the settings that Toni has applied ;)

Foebane 16 January 2018 11:39

Cool! Thank you! :)

Foebane 16 January 2018 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1212287)
No you can leave that.

...if ever in doubt, use one of the Quickstarts and look at the settings that Toni has applied ;)

Yeah, I set the Quickstart to A1200 and the cycle-exact boxes are ticked.

BTW, Is that "Set Configuration" button in Quickstart new? I never noticed it before, and it seems that whatever model, etc. you select from the drop-down lists are not set until you click on that button, whereas before I'm sure it was automatic.

DamienD 16 January 2018 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1212352)
Yeah, I set the Quickstart to A1200 and the cycle-exact boxes are ticked.

Both "cycle-exact" boxes will be ticked if you have "Best compatibility" set to the far left...

Set it one notch to the right (which is default when you first setup WinUAE) and then click "Set Configuration".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1212352)
BTW, Is that "Set Configuration" button in Quickstart new? I never noticed it before, and it seems that whatever model, etc. you select from the drop-down lists are not set until you click on that button, whereas before I'm sure it was automatic.

Been there as long as I can remember; though my memory isn't perfect.

Foebane 16 January 2018 20:20

This change (unticking cycle-exact full) only applies to 68020 and up? So I can leave it ticked for A500?

DamienD 16 January 2018 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1212399)
This change (unticking cycle-exact full) only applies to 68020 and up?

Yes; as far as I'm aware.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1212399)
So I can leave it ticked for A500?

Most definitely leave it for A500 / A600 games and demos ;)

Foebane 16 January 2018 22:18

Cool! I've just tried several A1200 demos that ran OK before, and they seem more accurate to the real hardware as I had it back in the 1990s.

I've just spent about 40 minutes trying out one demo that still needs cycle-exact - I was thwarted by corrupt versions of the file (I've just re-downloaded a whole mass of demo files and I think a lot of them are corrupt).

This is the file (not on Pouet.net this time) - can you test it and see if it works without full cycle-exact, please?
https://files.scene.org/view/mirrors...inaOmistan.dms

EDIT: Now I'm really confused. I took the files for the demo linked in this post from here:
https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=3875

And it worked fine then, I even made a video recording from it, but now it keeps crashing after the loading sequence. I don't know what's causing it. Sorry I don't have the guru info.

chip 17 January 2018 07:40

Are files actually corrupted ?

I don't believe it, i guess it's only a config problem if some prod doesn't work as expected

For example, you are talking about the cycle-exact option yes or not, but it's not the only option when loading demos

Differences are often caused by the memory chip/fast configured

Then there's also the FPU chip that can make the difference

And, even if i don't know what is it, the MMU emulation

So, as you can see, there's a lot of options to be set before saying that a file is corrupt (if that is possible)

Foebane 17 January 2018 09:15

I have just tried the two files on Pouet on 3.4.0 with cycle-exact full, and they failed, so I think they've been replaced or become corrupted. The error message I get is:

Error: 8000 0003 Task: 00203290

And I tried the Scene.org DMS on the latest beta with no cycle-exact full, and the error message I get is:

Error: 8000 000B Task: 00203290

Sorry, still can't figure out how to decode guru error codes.

EDIT: However, if I check cycle-exact full on the Scene.org DMS file, then it runs fine.

Foebane 17 January 2018 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by chip (Post 1212494)
Are files actually corrupted ?

I don't believe it, i guess it's only a config problem if some prod doesn't work as expected

For example, you are talking about the cycle-exact option yes or not, but it's not the only option when loading demos

Differences are often caused by the memory chip/fast configured

Then there's also the FPU chip that can make the difference

And, even if i don't know what is it, the MMU emulation

So, as you can see, there's a lot of options to be set before saying that a file is corrupt (if that is possible)

Yes, I came across a downloaded disk that was corrupted. One animation wouldn't work, and the music in that part also had issues. I found another copy of the demo and that worked fine.

Well, if I know the config worked before, then I blame the disk. It's happened to me a few times over the years.

I get what you're saying about configs, but I'm just stating my experience.