English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   EAB's competition (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   EAB/Lemon Super League 2017: Round 2 - Apidya (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=85850)

Graham Humphrey 05 February 2017 01:22

EAB/Lemon Super League 2017: Round 2 - Apidya

Rules

Post a picture of your score here with the score written underneath. Enter as often as you like. Only scores achieved during the round's time frame count.

No cheating of any kind (including score leeching) - this includes save states. No continues/passwords allowed. If you suspect anyone of cheating please let us know in private - anyone found guilty will be banned for the entire season.

Set the options as: Level - Normal, Lives - 5, 1UP - at 8000.

Remember, anyone can join in at any time. Have fun and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Downloads

- Disk 1, Disk 2
- WHDLoad-installed

Extras

- Full rules and FAQ (incorporating the Hall of Fame)
- Results and Standings
- The Noble thread
- Live League Ladder

http://superleague.mikendezign.com/s...Apidya_eab.png

S0ulA55a551n 05 February 2017 11:59

Can I just check, it would seem to go against the spirit of the competiiton but is auto fire joysticks/joypads or options in emulators not allowed ?

john4p 05 February 2017 12:25

Autofire is allowed if it's not a powerup in the game. In Apidya there is no autofire-powerup so it's allowed.

JanciB 05 February 2017 12:49

1 Attachment(s)

Just a quick session.

S0ulA55a551n 05 February 2017 12:53

1 Attachment(s)
just to get something up naff score

S0ulA55a551n 05 February 2017 14:39

1 Attachment(s)
The difficulty soon ramps up on this quickly

liviux76 05 February 2017 19:57

First time I've played it in my life (I've played for about an hour, not just one game, of course), it's a nice game, a bit chaotic...

capehorn 05 February 2017 20:11

Wonderful game but I'm a bit rusty. This will take some practice.

Graham Humphrey 05 February 2017 21:41

https://s29.postimg.org/e23jwp753/Apidya_Score1.jpg

S0ulA55a551n 06 February 2017 13:09

1 Attachment(s)
Just to keep people busy updating the scores :)

Anakirob 06 February 2017 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by john4p (Post 1139006)
Autofire is allowed if it's not a powerup in the game. In Apidya there is no autofire-powerup so it's allowed.

This would have to be one of the most backwards concepts I have ever heard.

john4p 06 February 2017 17:41

Because? If there is a powerup for it then allowing mechanical autofire would render that update useless. Of course you are allowed to use the in-game autofire provided by this powerup.

For games that have no such powerup (probably 99%) we've agreed to allow it in order to preserve our sinews and input devices.

S0ulA55a551n 06 February 2017 21:11

1 Attachment(s)

Anakirob 07 February 2017 02:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by john4p (Post 1139271)
Because? If there is a powerup for it then allowing mechanical autofire would render that update useless. Of course you are allowed to use the in-game autofire provided by this powerup.

For games that have no such powerup (probably 99%) we've agreed to allow it in order to preserve our sinews and input devices.

Ah, ok. That makes a bit more sense. I originally interpreted this statement as meaning. You can use autofire on your joystick, but you can't use any in-game autofire powerup.

Is this new rule allowing autofire a recent change? I seem to recall using autofire was prohibited in previous years. Also, as I don't have an autofire joystick I may give this competition a miss until such time as I am able to obtain an autofire joystick.

Cpt. Hindsight 07 February 2017 06:43

Autofire is not a good idea for this game anyway, since you can charge a special shot by pressing the fire button.

Graham Humphrey 07 February 2017 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anakirob (Post 1139340)
Is this new rule allowing autofire a recent change? I seem to recall using autofire was prohibited in previous years. Also, as I don't have an autofire joystick I may give this competition a miss until such time as I am able to obtain an autofire joystick.

I think it's been in since about 2009 ;)

The only game I can think of that is actually affected by this rule (i.e. it has an autofire powerup) is Deluxe Galaga and that might have been why the rule was clarified to begin with. There might be a few more games that fall into that category but it's certainly not very many.

I had to use a non-autofire joystick as well (my autofire one is broken) and I didn't find it too much work although I'm probably well used to it by now.

zardoz 07 February 2017 09:53

How does the power up system work? You pick up the petals, the bar along the bottom highlights an icon and at some point (?) that turns into more firepower and the icons go out.

Is it user selectable (like Project X)?

I haven't tried with choosing Pad over Joystick - what does that allow you to do?

My current hi-score wouldn't make the Top 10 .. shall report back later ;-)

liviux76 07 February 2017 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by zardoz (Post 1139386)
How does the power up system work? You pick up the petals, the bar along the bottom highlights an icon and at some point (?) that turns into more firepower and the icons go out.

Is it user selectable (like Project X)?
(...)

Yes, it is user selectable. You have to modify the options before starting the game. You can save the options so that you don't have to modify them every time.

As written in the first post, you have to chose "normal" difficulty, 5 lives and 1 extra life at 8000 points.

I've played with power-ups automatic and manual (using second button) and even if automatic seems easier I prefer manual so that I am able to chose what I prefer.

john4p 07 February 2017 10:51

Yeah manual is vastly superior. Highly recommended are icon 5 (best weapon, take this twice), 2 (grenades) and 7 (shield). Later 6 (drones) is also useful.
Best avoid 4 (although it's okay 5 is better in every way). For beginners 3 (spread shot) is also a good weapon.
Don't take more than one speed up (1).

S0ulA55a551n 07 February 2017 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by john4p (Post 1139395)
Yeah manual is vastly superior. Highly recommended are icon 5 (best weapon, take this twice), 2 (grenades) and 7 (shield). Later 6 (drones) is also useful.
Best avoid 4 (although it's okay 5 is better in every way). For beginners 3 (spread shot) is also a good weapon.
Don't take more than one speed up (1).

This is order I am doing power ups in for what its worth

number 2 - bombs
number 2 - torpedoes
Number 5 weapon
number 1 - speed up
Number 5 - Weapon
Number 6 - front drone
Numebr 6 rear drone
Number 7 -sheild