English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Mount adf like volumes (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=6641)

Giana 27 September 2002 15:05

Mount adf like volumes

Hi all,
Anybody to remain me the name of the prog used to mount adf like virtual modules ?:confused
Thanks

oldpx 27 September 2002 15:12

Get VirtualFloppy from aminet and diskwiz from Codetapper's action site and extract .adf files to virtual floppies.

CodyJarrett 27 September 2002 15:38

Maybe Giana means in Windows. In that case, it's ADFView:

http://home.worldonline.dk/viksoe/adfview.htm

Amiga1992 27 September 2002 17:10

You might also want to try FMS

Giana 27 September 2002 17:24

Thanks !
I've downloaded all theses progs to choose the best !

Korodny 28 September 2002 03:48

If you want to mount ADF files under AmigaOS (not Windows), the best solution is ADF device.

No need to "extract" ADFs, just type "insertdisk <adf-file>" (or make a hotkey, menu-item etc.) and it gets mounted immediately.

Amiga1992 29 September 2002 06:14

Hey that's a good one!!! No need to reset to change ADFs like in FMS!

BTW, STUPID newbie question here... I used to be able to UNMOUNT devices but I forgot how! How was it, Korodny?

Korodny 29 September 2002 06:47

Quote:

Originally posted by Akira
Hey that's a good one!!! No need to reset to change ADFs like in FMS!

Yeah, I love it too...

Quote:

BTW, STUPID newbie question here... I used to be able to UNMOUNT devices but I forgot how! How was it, Korodny?
Uh, I think it's ASSIGN <VOLUMENAME> DISMOUNT. Haven't used that one for ages :)

Amiga1992 29 September 2002 06:48

I'll try that out, thanks :D

TenLeftFingers 18 May 2015 20:56

Sorry for raising the dead but rather than duplicate effort I thought it would be best to mention here:

The command "insertdisk <adf-file>" gives the output:

InsertDisk UNIT/K/N,FILE/F
Use this with adf.device

But nothing mounted. Anyone know how to do that?

Arnie 18 May 2015 21:06

Try 'InsertDisk UNIT 0 filename'

EG InsertDisk UNIT 0 WB1.3.adf

EDIT: Have you mounted AD0: (UNIT 0)?

TenLeftFingers 19 May 2015 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arnie (Post 1020440)
Try 'InsertDisk UNIT 0 filename'

EG InsertDisk UNIT 0 WB1.3.adf

EDIT: Have you mounted AD0: (UNIT 0)?

Doing it like your example InsertDisk UNIT 0 WB1.3.adf (with my own adf of course) yields:

Error inserting disk into unit 0

And no, I haven't explicitly mounted AD0. I'm assuming that should be done afterwards since it wouldn't exist prior to the first command returns successfully.

Arnie 19 May 2015 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers (Post 1020510)
Doing it like your example InsertDisk UNIT 0 WB1.3.adf (with my own adf of course) yields:

Error inserting disk into unit 0

And no, I haven't explicitly mounted AD0. I'm assuming that should be done afterwards since it wouldn't exist prior to the first command returns successfully.

In the Amigaguide it says to mount AD0: first but, I still get the same error 'Error inserting disk into unit 0' as you do.

I used an A1200.

TenLeftFingers 19 May 2015 12:25

I have an A1200 too. Thanks for checking and for introducing me to AmigaGuide.

I'm contacting the author via the email address provided in the guide and I'll post back with the results!

Arnie 19 May 2015 13:39

If you are using an A1200 then you can also use DiskImage for mounting ADF's.

TenLeftFingers 19 May 2015 14:42

I've found a guide for that here: https://ftp.fau.de/aminet/docs/help/mountvirtual.pdf

Let's see how it goes :) Thank you Arnie.

TenLeftFingers 12 July 2015 23:25

So, I have left a thread without closure, something I despise seeing in other threads! I am getting more forgetful by the week and subscriptions are not helping :)

I got a response from a developer who offered to attempt to track down the code if I was willing to debug myself. I don't think I want to put him (or me) to that effort so I passed.

I don't remember if I tried the pdf above but I will give it a go soon and update the thread. My goal now is to resolve threads I have started since there are quite a few.

Smakar 13 July 2015 18:15

The best, easiest tool that I've found is ADF_Device, which can be downloaded from here http://bfugl.dk/Download.asp
Just follow the installation instructions in the AmigaGuide included in the download.
After, to add an ADF to a virtual drive just execute "Insert.script <adf file name>" - you'll then be prompted (pop-up) for the device number (maximum of 8 concurrent devices).
And to unload the file, execute "Remove.script <adf file name>" - again, you'll be prompted for the device.
I've added these commands to my DiskMaster (tool similar to Dopus) so I just click on the file and execute either the Insert or Remove scripts - piece of cake!

TenLeftFingers 17 July 2015 22:45

Thanks Smakar. I get a 'file is not executable' error for the script, even though in Information the 'executable' box is ticked.

But running adf_device verbatim according to the instructions I get success. Here's what I did:
Code:

mount ad0: from devs:adf.ml
InsertDisk UNIT 0 backtoskool3.adf
diskchange ad0: (important if you want the icon to show in Workbench)

I have reinstalled Workbench prior to this because of other issues I noticed so maybe my workbench install wasn't so good. This is going to make life much easier, thanks so much to all! :spin

Edit: I fixed the script by running
protect <filename> +e

Edit2: actually, I think the problem was that the 'script' field was not ticked under Information. The file was executable all along but the error wasn't accurate. Ignore the protect command.

BigFan 18 July 2015 15:25

Never a DOS script can be "executable". Use "protect +s" for this. It allows to run them from shell as if they are executable. In WB you need an icon with iconx as default tool (or a similar program like xicon). You don't need protection bits "s" and "e" then.