English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Lost Vikings Video Posted (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=45239)

mattbarton.exe 05 June 2009 04:04

The Lost Vikings Video Posted

Hi, Amigans! I thought you might be interested in my recent video on The Lost Vikings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR4zZ2iaqyQ

I'm planning to cover games for the PLATO system this weekend. I hope it'll go smoothly; I'm not an expert on the system but it's so historically interesting I can't help but try. :D

P.S. I'm psyched now because Slashdot published a review of our Vintage Games book:
http://books.slashdot.org/story/09/0.../Vintage-Games

laffer 05 June 2009 07:44

Great review of an awesome game. As I already commented, it's just too bad it never had an AGA version.

Looking forward to your future reviews.

TCD 05 June 2009 07:54

Already watched it last weekend and have to say that your reviews are steadily improving Matt :great Keep it up :)
P.S. : I think I've never seen anything from the PLATO, so really looking forward to that.

Shoonay 05 June 2009 13:40

Wow, one of my all time favorite puzzle adventure platformers :)
Thanks Matt, nice review!

Galahad/FLT 05 June 2009 14:28

It was nice that the original team did the Amiga version, but I have no clue why its not in 50frames and why there is no backgrounds?!?

Even the CD32 version is simply a port of the A500 version... just lazy programming.

mattbarton.exe 05 June 2009 20:03

Wow, doing the Plato one has been very difficult! Those games are about as user friendly as a porcupine whose entire family was killed by an evil balloon and is now hellbent on vengeance. I hope I'll be able to do them at least partial justice; boy, those old-time coders really expected you to know a helluva lot before you could play their games.

Ironclaw 05 June 2009 21:12

So, Matt... what version of The Lost Vikings did you record? It's not the Amiga version though, as it doesn't sound the same, and the Amiga version doesn't have background scrolling in the intro, which your video do. Did you record the snes version?

TCD 05 June 2009 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironclaw (Post 556493)
Did you record the snes version?

Yes, it's the SNES version.

Shoonay 05 June 2009 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironclaw (Post 556493)
Did you record the snes version?

Yes, that's exactly what he said ;)

Sensi 05 June 2009 21:17

Quote:

The Lost Vikings (1993, Silicon & Synapse) is one of my favorite games for the Super Nintendo, but I first played it on my Commodore Amiga.

skateblind 05 June 2009 21:35

Good review, never played the game myself, but you have convinced me to give it a try.

mattbarton.exe 05 June 2009 21:46

Go for it! Just don't blame me when you get hooked. ;)

I have watched some of the videos on the sequel as well, which looks pretty interesting, though it apparently wasn't as good as the first one.

Shoonay 05 June 2009 21:53

I tried Lost Vikings 2 on the SNES emu, and if wasn't for the instant-save-state feature I wouldn't been able... oh, wait... actually even with that I wasn't able to get far... it's funny actually - there are sooo many traps per level, sooo many things to do, new movements, etc., so you can't be bored... but it's TOOOO repetitive, you do the same things for most of the time.

mattbarton.exe 05 June 2009 22:21

Yes, there's always the temptation to throw too much stuff at you right away instead of letting you gradually complicate the gameplay. It probably would have been better to not give the new powers right away, but introduce them one at a time, giving players a chance to see what was now possible.

Peter 06 June 2009 00:06

Excellent Matt - really enjoyed the video... although I remember the game being released I never bought a copy - it was always one of those games that I just never got around to owning. I am going to grab an Amiga version and give it a go - it looks better than I remember in actual fact... looking forward to your next video.

I am going to try to get a copy of your Vintage Video Games book... I guess Amazon would be the best place to try to get a copy from here in the UK

Ironclaw 06 June 2009 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensi (Post 556497)
.The Lost Vikings (1993, Silicon & Synapse) is one of my favorite games for the Super Nintendo, but I first played it on my Commodore Amiga..

Yes, ofc I read that :), but it doesn't say he recorded the snes verson.

Sensi 06 June 2009 11:43

You are right, he doesnt.
But: 4.08 - Licensed by Nintendo :)

Matt always makes these videos for the system that the reviewed game was originally released for. And TLV was originally released for the SNES.

Thats why MI video is for EGA version :(

TCD 06 June 2009 11:45

The SNES boxshot at 0:43 might also give a hint at that ;)

Sensi 06 June 2009 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid (Post 556603)
The SNES boxshot at 0:43 might also give a hint at that ;)

But Matt is talking about "1993 game" few seconds later ;) And SNES is 1992 game.

Lets "stop this pain" before it turns to another "ensuring thread" :laughing

Shoonay 06 June 2009 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironclaw (Post 556592)
Yes, ofc I read that :), but it doesn't say he recorded the snes verson.

You must read between the lines.
For instance, when something is written IN THE VIDEO'S DESCRIPTION BOX, it probably means it describes THE VIDEO THAT YOU ARE CURRENTLY WATCHING.

But I know, it's too hard to understand, so let me translate that:

"(THIS IS A VIDEO ABOUT) The Lost Vikings ((released in the year) 1993, (made by) Silicon & Synapse) (which) is one of my favorite games for the Super Nintendo, but I first played it on my Commodore Amiga."

:D