English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Top Ten Technology Nostalgia (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=33757)

Pyromania 21 December 2007 23:13

The Top Ten Technology Nostalgia

Lemmings is #7, Commodore 64 is number #4. Amiga should have been on the list as well I think. It was mentioned in the Lemmings info at least.

http://digg.com/hardware/The_Top_Ten...logy_Nostalgia

PaulyQ 21 December 2007 23:44

Hmm... Missed out Game and Watch, Atari VCS & Pong - 3 of the most innovative pieces of hardware ever developed in my eyes

paranoid 22 December 2007 04:07

Nice mention of Lemmings and the C64, but not a very good list in general. Who here actually fondly remembers huge computers from the 60s and 70s? (I remember them; and not fondly..) Dot matrix printers? That's a joke.. And those handheld games sucked and were so repetitive even when they were cutting edge portable gaming.

Fred the Fop 22 December 2007 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyromania (Post 381200)
Lemmings is #7, Commodore 64 is number #4. Amiga should have been on the list as well I think. It was mentioned in the Lemmings info at least.

http://digg.com/hardware/The_Top_Ten...logy_Nostalgia

No.
Amiga, as you know, was nothing in the USA and Japan, and if it ain't big in these 2 places, it really can't make the list.

Pyromania 22 December 2007 08:38

Not big in the USA? Two words "Video Toaster'.

Graham Humphrey 22 December 2007 11:36

Yes, but it wasn't big to the general public was it?

Fred the Fop 22 December 2007 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey (Post 381270)
Yes, but it wasn't big to the general public was it?

Fuck no.
The C 64 is beloved and well known here, very much so.
But when the Amiga and Atari ST came around, and started to make some gains, the Macs and IBMs pulled ahead, with the IBM becoming mega ubiquitous, of course. It's a shame , because I think the Amiga was far superior to any of these platforms in the mid to late 80's and very early 90's.

Pyro: Video Toaster is big in video production circles? In the general public, this was unknown. But as for the context of this nostalgia blog entry, I am correct.
These programs/machines were famous or ubiquitous, and the general public knew them. I don't agree with Lemmings being on the list, It's not that famous, really.

aldo 22 December 2007 14:24

But everyone knew about Lemmings, even people who werent into computers in the early nineties knew of this game.

Retro-Nerd 22 December 2007 20:07

I talked to some US guys in the mid 90s, they never heard about an Amiga computer. They played their games on a NES/SMS and later on the SNES/Genesis.

btw: The computer mouse is missing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aldo (Post 381298)
But everyone knew about Lemmings, even people who werent into computers in the early nineties knew of this game.

Really? I could ask some friends or my parents. They never heard about Lemmings. :D

paranoid 23 December 2007 07:27

I'm from the US and I remember being asked what computer was best by non-computer people. I'd answer if you want to do work at home, PC. Something incredibly simple and just, say, word processing, Mac (also, desktop publishing, Mac). Music, maybe the ST. But for the best computer, graphics (and games) Amiga. I think, by the more general public, they saw the Amiga (if they bothered to really look) as just games and, in the US, games were more for consoles.

But, I think the Amiga did have a real place in computing circles and wasn't just a little niche thing. Where I'm from, rather medium to small city but not a small town, we had a few Amiga BBSs, no ST BBSs, none for Mac, and a few PC. (One was a huge, popular BBS that didn't cater to any particular computer and ran on a Coco, another general, and big, BBS was Unix -- this probably an anomaly, as the guy wrote a BBS program for Unix) For those calling BBSs, the Amiga was just as popular, if not more so, and I'm talking more or less straight BBSs, not pirate-only, of which there was, maybe, one (he tried, but was never, ah, "elite" by any standard).

Anyway, while the Amiga was never like it was in Europe, it wasn't just disregarded in the US and only used by a few. Also, folks were going from 8 to 16 bit, most likely. It wasn't like everyone has at least email, like now, and computers are about as common as as any appliance. If you got a computer then, it wasn't for mp3s and email, it was because you were into computing of some sort. (Like, if you polled a bunch of US high school kids, these days, TONS will have a computer, then, very few, or just had an old Apple they never used anymore in general..)

Pyromania 23 December 2007 08:28

I agree paranoid.

Dizzy 23 December 2007 12:12

Stupid list, but then again all list of these kind are stupid. This is the work of 1 man and his thoughts, and another man will come up with another list ;)

Lemmings sux, why not tetris it's a more used concept :D

Guess my list would look something like

01 Pong
02 Amiga 500
03 Game & watch
04 Playstation (I would love to say Dreamcast, but psx made console be something for everyone)
05 Laserdisc
06 BBS/modem ;)
07 Floppy
08 NES
09 electronic watchs with calculator and games on :laughing
10 mandelbrot (damn did we spend hours looking at that shit ;) :lol :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
btw: The computer mouse is missing

No the list is only about thinks not used anymore, my first thought was CD is missing, but we still use CD so you couldn't call this nostalgic ;)

Marcuz 23 December 2007 13:38

interesting...

mine would be:

01 Pong
02 View-Master stereopticals images
03 Bandai Pair Match (it used unsurpassed fluorescent lamp technology for display. unsurpassed in my view of course). also portable games.
04 Amiga 500
05 mandelbrot
06 LCD portable OLD tvs
07 red and blue glasses for 3D images
08 notebooks from the fifties (the ones with the reddish border and black hardcover)... never found them anymore: moleskines just go so far...
09 film photography
10 Basic

Retro-Nerd 23 December 2007 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dizzy (Post 381470)
No the list is only about thinks not used anymore, my first thought was CD is missing, but we still use CD so you couldn't call this nostalgic ;)

Upps, you're right. Then, BTX. My brother used it in the early 90s for online banking, pretty cool for this time. ;)