English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. System (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   icon.library 46.4 test versions (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=64079)

PeterK 08 June 2012 13:05

Updated to icon.library 46.4.237 (Be careful, this is just a snapshot, a nightly built from a drunken coder) :D

BTW, the icon.library is now completely based on my own source code. It is finally independent and free of the AmigaOS copyright restrictions.

SpeedGeek 08 June 2012 18:00

@PeterK

If you can produce such excellent and awesome code when drunk imagine what you could do sober! :great

matthey 09 June 2012 03:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek (Post 822463)
@PeterK

If you can produce such excellent and awesome code when drunk imagine what you could do sober! :great

Maybe worse. Alcohol releases creativity in studies:

http://www.medicaldaily.com/news/201...vity-study.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterK (Post 822407)
BTW, the icon.library is now completely based on my own source code. It is finally independent and free of the AmigaOS copyright restrictions.

Congratulations. This is a great milestone achievement to be complete and free at last :).

gulliver 09 June 2012 04:26

Quote:

Updated to icon.library 46.4.237 (Be careful, this is just a snapshot, a nightly built from a drunken coder) :D

Congratulations!!! :spin

Now perhaps, you can drink some more, and recreate and make free another library or device :cheese

PeterK 09 June 2012 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek (Post 822463)

.... then I'm just finding the bugs ... :banghead

@matthey and gulliver

Thanks guys. This library is complete in terms of independence now, but it is still not finished yet. After the next Aminet release is done I will try to write my own internal PNG decoding function to get rid of the slow detour through the datatype system.

clauddio 10 June 2012 05:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterK (Post 822581)

@matthey and gulliver

Thanks guys. This library is complete in terms of independence now, but it is still not finished yet. After the next Aminet release is done I will try to write my own internal PNG decoding function to get rid of the slow detour through the datatype system.

that's will be cool because png icons are really slow right now due png datatype
maybe you can make PNG icons more fast than the normal 0S3.5 icons?

PeterK 10 June 2012 09:13

Quote:

...maybe you can make PNG icons more fast than the normal 0S3.5 icons?
No sorry, I can speed up the PNG decoding, but the icons will still use the OS 3.5+ typical colormapping, and therefore they won't be faster than OS 3.5 icons. Maybe, in a second step, I could add the possibility to draw the truecolor icons directly to the screen as this is done by the PowerIcons patch or AfA_OS, but I don't know when this could be realized??

Btw, If you want more speed then don't used this damned slow DOpus Magellan II. It has its own icon.module and I can't do much for DOpus5 and also don't like it.

daxb 10 June 2012 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterK (Post 822668)
Btw, If you want more speed then don't used this damned slow DOpus Magellan II. It has its own icon.module and I can't do much for DOpus5 and also don't like it.

But you could patch the icon.module then you could like it. :)

NovaCoder 10 June 2012 21:49

Quote:

Well done Peter, a milestone in Amiga development for sure :D

Don_Adan 11 June 2012 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterK (Post 822581)

@matthey and gulliver

Perhaps you can use meynaf's PNG decoding routine. This ASM version is free, but you can write own version, maybe will be better.

SpeedGeek 11 June 2012 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthey (Post 822536)
Maybe worse. Alcohol releases creativity in studies:

http://www.medicaldaily.com/news/201...vity-study.htm

Undoubtedly, another study conducted by a drunk and sponsored by the alcoholic beverage industry! :laughing

mfilos 11 June 2012 21:50

Thanks for the updates Peter my friend! Lotsa kudos \o/
Sorry for not testing these faster (as I normally do) but my daughter recently born 2 weeks ago so I gave all my attention to her and my wifey :)

I just tried the last version and it works awesome as always! For some reason the test icons on your AllIconsOnWB archive seemed a lot faster (especially the PNG ones).
I also converted an icon via CopyIcon from OS4 format to classic format and from 17KB it reduced to 4.9KB and with a lot greater speed!

Congratz for at LAST getting out of shity copyright Amiga Inc stuff restrictions. I really hope other coders will have your success :)

/respect

PeterK 12 June 2012 09:34

Quote:

...my daughter recently born 2 weeks ago...
Congratulations, mfilos :great
Who has said that Greece has no future ??
You have a lot of sun, you have giros and wine, you have a nice wifey and now you're also the proud father of a little girly, what else do you want ??

Quote:

For some reason the test icons on your AllIconsOnWB archive seemed a lot faster (especially the PNG ones). I also converted an icon via CopyIcon from OS4 format to classic format and from 17KB it reduced to 4.9KB and with a lot greater speed!
Hmm, I don't know if there is any difference compared to the previous versions, but if it's faster for you now there must be a nice hidden feature, that's ok, of course ;)

@Don_Adan
Quote:

Perhaps you can use meynaf's PNG decoding routine. This ASM version is free, but you can write own version, maybe will be better.
It's not the biggest problem to build such a PNG decoding routine, since I already have the specification of the PNG file structure and also the source code of the PowerIcon patch from Elena Novaretti. No, it's more the lack of self-motivation to start the job and get it done.

cosmicfrog 12 June 2012 17:19

:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown Peter :great

clauddio 13 June 2012 14:10

hey peter
how about a new picture.datatype done in ASM ?
the latest one from OS3.9 bb2 is slow
can u try to make it faster?

PeterK 13 June 2012 18:01

Quote:

...how about a new picture.datatype?
The icon.library is not finished yet. There is still a lot to do.

But, why don't you start coding yourself, clauddio ?? Never say, you couldn't do it, you will learn it by doing and here, at EAB, are many coders who would help you if there is something too difficult. Just try it. :great

Bamiga2002 14 June 2012 19:38

The latest icon.library v238 seems to eat all my chipram in a heartbeat. I used DISABLEROMMODULES "" as adviced. I even downgraded from newicon.library v45 to v44 but all the same. With v228 no probs.

PeterK 14 June 2012 20:31

1 Attachment(s)
Which of your systems is that ? WB 3.1 or WB 3.9 ?
If WB 3.1, is FBlit installed and has it the correct configuration ?

The latest icon.libraries are checking if FBlit is running before they switch to FastMem on WB 3.0/3.1. This was different with 46.4.228, it was always using FastMem as default memory.

If you use WB 3.5, then you can put the command WBCtrl ICONFAST into the startup-sequence just before LoadWB. And WB 3.9 has the Workbench preferences where you can choose FastMem (other memory) for icons.

If really nothing seems to work then try this (I did not check it out yet because my Pizza and Red Wine are waiting) :cheese

Bamiga2002 15 June 2012 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterK (Post 823405)
Which of your systems is that ? WB 3.1 or WB 3.9 ?
If WB 3.1, is FBlit installed and has it the correct configuration ?

The latest icon.libraries are checking if FBlit is running before they switch to FastMem on WB 3.0/3.1. This was different with 46.4.228, it was always using FastMem as default memory.

If you use WB 3.5, then you can put the command WBCtrl ICONFAST into the startup-sequence just before LoadWB. And WB 3.9 has the Workbench preferences where you can choose FastMem (other memory) for icons.

If really nothing seems to work then try this (I did not check it out yet because my Pizza and Red Wine are waiting) :cheese

I'm running OS 3.9, no FBlit but Mediator with Voodoo (see sig). I already had "WBCtrl IMT=ICONFAST" and in Workbench-preferences "Other memory". I also tried IconsToFastmem in place of the WBCtrl-command. Sadly none of these options worked. When WB loads there's 1.5Mb chipram left, as I try to open DOPUS 4, it can't open the screen an instead reverts to 4-color PAL screen (all chipram gone).

EDIT: I also downloaded the new Aminet-release v240, same thing here. I reverted back to v228 for now. And btw. I also have the PowerIcons-patch running.

PeterK 16 June 2012 00:11

Hi Bamiga2002,
are you sure that it's 46.4.228 which is doing the job for you, and not 225 ?? I was wrong, 228 is not using FastMem by default like 225 is doing it. I'm a bit confused now, what's really going wrong on your system. So, I need some more information. Is it really DOpus 4, not DOpus 5, which makes the problem with falling back into 4-color mode ?

Which versions and revisions of the following files are installed ?
workbench.library, datatypes.library, picture.datatype, png.datatype and/or WarpPNG.datatype, all picasso96 files or cybergraphics files. Which size and date+time has the icon.library ?

Version of SetPatch, IPrefs, exec.library, graphics.library, dos.library ?

Don't use FastIPrefs or any of Cosmos' libraries, please !