English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Exult - Ultima VII port for AGA (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=80196)

meynaf 15 November 2015 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaCoder (Post 1050758)
There's no point in compiling for 030 I'm afraid, it would be too damn slow to be enjoyable. Even the original PC game needed a fast 486 to run properly BTW.

If it could work on a 486, it can work on a 68030.

jeff b00toNic 15 November 2015 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 1050650)
i have used snoopdos, it checks for cybergraphics.library. I have not seen anything related to the 060 processor.

Question : can you compile it for 030 ?

Maybe it's FPU related problem. I would like to see a 030 version too.

NovaCoder 15 November 2015 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by meynaf (Post 1050951)
If it could work on a 486, it can work on a 68030.

You might have trouble compiling Exult to run well on an 030 but very glad to see you offer to give it a try, well done :)

dlfrsilver 15 November 2015 15:30

Then who can make the compiling for 030 guys ? :)

pintcat 19 November 2015 20:13

Is there a list of files which are actually needed for Exult? Because the Ultima VII installations contain a lot of rubbish like the install.exe, some other install crap and - as I assume - the original exe which isn't needed too.

grelbfarlk 23 October 2017 00:16

Would have sent a PM but your inbox is full.

I am wondering what you did you deal with the missing AMidi.h when you did your version of Exult. Alternately if you could share your audio source directory as I'd certainly like CAMD support with our without Timidity. If this is possible.

NovaCoder 23 October 2017 02:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by grelbfarlk (Post 1193951)
Would have sent a PM but your inbox is full.

I am wondering what you did you deal with the missing AMidi.h when you did your version of Exult. Alternately if you could share your audio source directory as I'd certainly like CAMD support with our without Timidity. If this is possible.

Hi,

Yes don't really use my PM box these days. Are you working on your own port then? I'll have a look for my old audio source code, I did lose a lot of my code but maybe I have it somewhere.

grelbfarlk 23 October 2017 02:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaCoder (Post 1193968)
Hi,

Yes don't really use my PM box these days. Are you working on your own port then? I'll have a look for my old audio source code, I did lose a lot of my code but maybe I have it somewhere.

Yeah, I'm working on a WarpOS port to test out our SDL library. Little demos and games like Xrick and Fireworks work so I thought I'd try something more demanding.

grelbfarlk 31 October 2017 00:46

I managed to get sound working via SDL_Mixer with Ogg music and sound effects, though I don't like the idea as much as Timidity. I'd still like to have CAMD working. Or if you have the Amidi header?

NovaCoder 02 November 2017 00:11

I'm sure I've got it somewhere, I'll try and remember to look for it

grelbfarlk 04 November 2017 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaCoder (Post 1196327)
I'm sure I've got it somewhere, I'll try and remember to look for it

Thanks man! It's more or less fine as is but I'm just wondering if it could be a bit better.

MazinKaesar 05 November 2017 11:25

I'm asking for a 030 version too :D (really I use WinUAE more than my real 1200/030, but I still use a configuration based on 040 for better compatibility)...

McTrinsic 05 November 2017 11:34

+1 for a 030 port.
I have an expanded Phoenix with a 030@50 + FPU@50 and 32MB FastRAM.
So if you need a beta tester ;) ...

NovaCoder 06 November 2017 02:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by grelbfarlk (Post 1196700)
Thanks man! It's more or less fine as is but I'm just wondering if it could be a bit better.

Here you go, not sure how much help it will be. I've no memory of writing this code :laughing

From a quick look at my old code, I think it should have been threaded but I was rushing to finish my AGA port and so I didn't bother to thread it.

AMike 11 November 2017 23:14

Is it possible to get a RTG version? That would be great for the Vampire. ScummVM_RTG in combination with femu is faster than on my 060 miggy.

NovaCoder 06 January 2019 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMike (Post 1198850)
Is it possible to get a RTG version? That would be great for the Vampire. ScummVM_RTG in combination with femu is faster than on my 060 miggy.

Yes :p

I've just uploaded an RTG version to AmiNet which is based on my old AGA port. I also enabled OGG compressed audio support this time.

This port is using my new RTG SDL which supports windows. This is something I've never attempted before with 68K so there might be a few usability issues with how I've done it :help

Current SDL RTG features:

Audio (but not sdl_mixer, I might add this in later)
Full screen modes in 8 bit using software surfaces
Windowed modes with any color depth above 8 bits for targets but source must be 8 bit
Thread support (required by Audio anyway)
Timer support
Video mode switching between fullscreen and widow modes
Writes directly to video card memory when possible
International keyboard mapping

If this new RTG SDL works OK then I might also use it to update some of my other old SDL ports.

utri007 06 January 2019 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaCoder (Post 1295596)
Yes :p

I've just uploaded an RTG version to AmiNet which is based on my old AGA port. I also enabled OGG compressed audio support this time.

I'm curious. Did newly released Picasso 96 dev guides help with this?

NovaCoder 06 January 2019 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by utri007 (Post 1295644)
I'm curious. Did newly released Picasso 96 dev guides help with this?

Nope, I use CGX for this.

Anachronist 07 January 2019 10:01

This is awesome! Keep up the great work @Novacoder :)

NovaCoder 09 January 2019 13:04

I just uploaded a new AGA build to the zone.

This needs some testing (this debug build needs an 040).

It does a couple of new things, it now has NTSC/PAL display modes (Tooltype setting) and the ability to alter the thread priority of both the MIDI device and the AHI device through the exult config file.

Also it now supports a window mode. Adding window mode to AGA is of no real use to gameplay because the colors are a bit off but it's needed by some ports (eg DOSBox uses a window mode for it's keyboard mapping window and it will work good enough for that kind of thing).