English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ACA500 plus? (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=79303)

appiah4 21 February 2020 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4rk3lf (Post 1380504)

That's the A500 mounting, not A1000.

A1000 faces the other way around, with CF cards facing back but NOT upside down; ie. dismo still visible on top:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vbeRvkjs1og/maxresdefault.jpg

spudje 21 February 2020 16:30

Exactly, that's what I mean, they go in opposite directions, when you compare A1000 and A500 ACA5000+ connections.

d4rk3lf 21 February 2020 17:57

Sorry guys...

I was just referring to what r.cade said (it works in his Amiga 1000, and not working in any of his A500).

spudje 28 February 2020 17:44

r.cade was it a matter of orientation of the ACA500 and your Amiga 500s? Or is it a different issue?

r.cade 28 February 2020 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudje (Post 1380479)
I assume you know you have to connect it to the A500s in the opposite direction than to an A1000?

Oh yes, fully aware of the orientation difference. It has never been plugged in backwards to either one.

There is something wrong with the connector on my ACA, but not enough to send it back to Germany for service. It has to have a little upward pressure in the A1000 to work, and this is harder to do in the A500 since it sits flat on the desk.

d4rk3lf 28 February 2020 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by r.cade (Post 1382006)
There is something wrong with the connector on my ACA, but not enough to send it back to Germany for service. It has to have a little upward pressure in the A1000 to work, and this is harder to do in the A500 since it sits flat on the desk.

Same happens to me (on A500)
But if I put some slim object bellow Aca "legs" (I used floppy disk for that), so I raise it a little bit, it works flawlessly. However, these days I don't even have that, and it just sits normally, and works.

I never blamed Aca 500+ for that, but I guess my Amiga 500 SCSI port is kind of loose. I gotta find someone to examine my A500, and, if possible, to make that port tighter.

r.cade 28 February 2020 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4rk3lf (Post 1382010)
But if I put some slim object bellow Aca "legs" (I used floppy disk for that), so I raise it a little bit, it works flawlessly. However, these days I don't even have that, and it just sits normally, and works.

I never blamed Aca 500+ for that, but I guess my Amiga 500 SCSI port is kind of loose. I gotta find someone to examine my A500, and, if possible, to make that port tighter.

On my 500's and 1000, the ACA is a tight fit- It's actually pretty hard to plug it in. However, it easily rocks up and down once connected and has to sit just right to be stable. I've actually reheated the solder on the connector and everything- it's not that. It's almost like it's just not the right connector or something.

AmigaHope 03 March 2020 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4rk3lf (Post 1382010)

It's not a SCSI port -- xD it's just a CPU bus connector.

That said it sounds like someone needs to make some real housing for the ACA500+ that holds everything perfectly in place.

Preferably something nicely molded like the old GVP HC8+ cases.

sparhawk 03 March 2020 20:24

Would be great if such a case would also be done for an A1000.

LezRed 03 March 2020 20:51

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my ACA500+ on my A500plus with a smoked acrylic case I purchased from somewhere in Germany. I think it was from here: https://www.plexilaser.de/ACA500plus

Turrican_3 04 March 2020 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by r.cade (Post 1382014)
On my 500's and 1000, the ACA is a tight fit- It's actually pretty hard to plug it in. However, it easily rocks up and down once connected and has to sit just right to be stable. I've actually reheated the solder on the connector and everything- it's not that. It's almost like it's just not the right connector or something.

Same issue here for the record, on the A1000 at least.

To be precise, system often crashes if I move the board more than a certain - tiny! - amount (so I try to avoid even barely touching it as much as possible)

appiah4 05 March 2020 07:20

I don't have the connector issue at all, hav eyou tried cleaning the edge connector on your PCB with contact cleaners?

cupcake_bullet 11 March 2020 04:33

I use an old VHS box around mine to prevent dust from accumulating on it. Works fine but I think I might want a proper case at some point, haha.

d4rk3lf 26 March 2020 13:07

Ok, I need help.

After my girlfriend "cleaned up" my Amiga 500 (I wasn't around), I can't make it to work. When I turn it on, all I get is a blue screen. Aca 500 plus change numbers on it's little display, and stops at 20. Like before, I've tried raising the card a little (with placing floppy bellow it's legs), but same thing - blue screen.

Maybe it's not Aca related, and I still haven't tried removing it, and see if A500 will boot regularly, I though it would be better to first ask here.

What is the steps I need to do in order to discover (and hopefully solve) the problem?
Please, keep in mind, I am a very noob hardware guy.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers. :)

demolition 26 March 2020 13:40

How did she clean it? Using water or some other fluid? Or just dusting or a damp cloth? Dusting or a damp cloth should not cause trouble.

As you suggest yourself, remove it and check that you get to the KS screen. Then reinsert it and try again. Also try reinserting the power supply plug in case there is a bad connection. I've experienced the ACA stopping on 20 if the supply voltage was slightly too low and a bad connection would cause a voltage drop.

d4rk3lf 26 March 2020 14:18

Thanks bro!
She cleaned it with alcohol and napkin.

First, I just pulled out power from Amiga keyboard, and then pulled it back - same thing. Then I removed both of my cf card - same thing.
Then I removed the Aca itself - yeah - famous KS image with ugly hand holding a floppy was there. :) So I put back Aca, turned it on (without CF card), and bang - it was working. :) I saw the menu.
But then, since Amiga was on edge of my workbench, I pulled it back (so aca sits on the table), placed CF cards, and it was now green screen. I tried to adjust with floppy again, it was then green screen with some random number... tried to adjust it a little bit more - and it was blue screen again.

So, it's definitely connection issue.
Any tips how I can make tighter connection?
It also might be that I didn't put the Aca all way into the slot, but I am afraid that with more force, I will brake something.

demolition 26 March 2020 15:53

Alcohol and a napkin won't do any harm so it was probably just a coincidence caused by her moving it a bit. So it would have happened at some other time anyway.

Clean the edge connector on the Amiga side with isopropylalcohol/isopropanol and a cotton bud (and remember the bottom side as well). Should help with any connection issues.

d4rk3lf 26 March 2020 16:03

Thank you my friend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by demolition (Post 1387650)
Clean the edge connector on the Amiga side with isopropylalcohol/isopropanol and a cotton bud (and remember the bottom side as well). Should help with any connection issues.

Will try that... hopefully I can find isopropylalcohol/isopropanol.
I suck at chemistry... is that just regular alcohol, or something more specialized?
Can I do it with regular alcohol?
Whiskey? :)

demolition 26 March 2020 16:15

If by regular alcohol you mean ethanol then it can also be used although it will leave some white residue behind which does not happen with isopropanol. This is why I prefer to use the latter. I'm not sure what it is being sold as in your country - Google says this when I translate to Serbian. :)
If you use ethanol, then you should be able to polish the white residue away using a microfibre cloth.

d4rk3lf 26 March 2020 17:14

Yeah well... it's because of this Corona virus, any type of alcohol is impossible to find. We have everything in the markets (people haven't hoard too much here), everything except alcohol. :)
I have some alcohol from before (the one my girlfriend cleaned amiga at the first place). Should be alcohol with purity of 70 or 90%, I'll check with her later, and will use that to clean up the connector.

Cheers bro. :)