English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ACA500 plus? (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=79303)

Turrican_3 06 December 2019 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigaHope (Post 1363468)
every single A1000 produced has signatures inside the case, it was part of the mold and the mold was never changed.

Hmm, I've read somewhere that later models had no signatures on the upper part of the chassis, but I can't remember where.

AmigaHope 10 December 2019 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turrican_3 (Post 1363479)
Hmm, I've read somewhere that later models had no signatures on the upper part of the chassis, but I can't remember where.

It's the opposite. The developer/demo systems sent out in 1985 had bespoke cases that didn't have the signatures. The production versions that shipped from the very end of 1985 onward were mass produced with injection molding, and they all had signatures.

Nightshft 10 December 2019 01:59

So a cases without signature are rare and more valuable? (SCNR :D )

AmigaHope 10 December 2019 05:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightshft (Post 1364358)
So a cases without signature are rare and more valuable? (SCNR :D )

Yup that's pretty much the case. xD (oof on the pun, sorry)

Turrican_3 12 December 2019 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigaHope (Post 1364356)
It's the opposite. The developer/demo systems sent out in 1985 had bespoke cases that didn't have the signatures. The production versions that shipped from the very end of 1985 onward were mass produced with injection molding, and they all had signatures.

Oh, so I got it very very VERY wrong! :-\

My apologies, I always hate spreading misinformation.

Pyromania 20 February 2020 09:12

ACA500plus Still working great in the Amiga 1000?

sparhawk 20 February 2020 10:57

I have no problems with it and it works fine so far. It's really a great thing. Only problem is, I don't know how to enable the CF card(s). It's still usefull though, because I can boot the KS disk from it, have 8MB RAM and also tried the 14MHz mode, though I usually keep it disabled, as I'm not sure if this is really safe to use, and my A1000 never had more then the 7MHz back then anyway. :)

dreadnought 20 February 2020 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyromania (Post 1380152)
ACA500plus Still working great in the Amiga 1000?

My manual says - bolded - "Never connect the ACA500plus to an Amiga 1000! Please see wiki for more information"

Turrican_3 20 February 2020 12:39

With the exception of an issue I've recently mentioned here (system crash when trying to choose boot partition with KS 3+) the ACA500plus seems to be working flawlessly in my A1000.

BUT, that very warning clearly makes me a bit nervous nevertheless, hence I wouldn't mind a version actually designed for it - not to mention this one is physically unstable and this makes the system slightly prone to crash.

sparhawk 20 February 2020 15:01

As far as I understood it the warning is mostly, because users didn't graps that the A500 port is the "wrong way" around as compared to the A1000. So I guess he got frequent reports that something is not working or damaging the machine, because users simply used it the wrong way.

d4rk3lf 20 February 2020 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparhawk (Post 1380269)
As far as I understood it the warning is mostly,.

You wanna say: we shouldn't hold icy cold beer on the card?

Toni Wilen 20 February 2020 17:01

Most likely reason is very dangerous myth from back the day: A1000 port was supposedly upside down compared to A500. It is back to front ("THIS SIDE UP!" marking on top of ACA500plus PCB stays on top even when connected to A1000), not upside down!

Connecting it upside down will kill it. (or in case of later "big dismo" version which has protection resistors that burn if it is connected upside down, preventing expensive chip damage)

AmigaHope 20 February 2020 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1380316)
Most likely reason is very dangerous myth from back the day: A1000 port was supposedly upside down compared to A500. It is back to front ("THIS SIDE UP!" marking on top of ACA500plus PCB stays on top even when connected to A1000), not upside down!

Connecting it upside down will kill it. (or in case of later "big dismo" version which has protection resistors that burn if it is connected upside down, preventing expensive chip damage)

C= really should have had a keying notch to prevent this. =(

Nightshft 21 February 2020 00:41

This guy made a nice stand (low-price) for the card and his A1000. I think it's awesome for the few bucks it costs.

The card is a normal ACA500 without "+". (Note the benchmark is higher because of using an ACA1233 card additionally.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbeRvkjs1og

Pyromania 21 February 2020 01:52

@Nightshft

Very nice!

r.cade 21 February 2020 03:17

Strangely, my ACA500+ doesn't work in either of my 500's, but works fine on my 1000. As long as it's seated right, anyway- it has to be propped up at a little bit of an angle to boot.

sparhawk 21 February 2020 10:14

I put some books and my gotek under it, so that it's propped up. It worked also without it, but I feel better this way. Don't know if the strain would damage something, if there is a constant drag on the port.

spudje 21 February 2020 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by r.cade (Post 1380436)
Strangely, my ACA500+ doesn't work in either of my 500's, but works fine on my 1000. As long as it's seated right, anyway- it has to be propped up at a little bit of an angle to boot.

I assume you know you have to connect it to the A500s in the opposite direction than to an A1000?

appiah4 21 February 2020 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudje (Post 1380479)
I assume you know you have to connect it to the A500s in the opposite direction than to an A1000?


Opposite as in the CF cards face towards the back rather than being upside down?

d4rk3lf 21 February 2020 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by appiah4 (Post 1380485)
Opposite as in the CF cards face towards the back rather than being upside down?

https://www.vesalia.de/pic/aca500.jpg

This


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:35.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.14414 seconds with 11 queries