English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Blues Brothers questions (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=97582)

jotd 02 June 2019 11:05

Blues Brothers questions
 
I'm currently reworking the blues brothers whdload slave to add second button support / joypad controls for pause, etc..

Time for me to revisit this game. Maybe I like it because I used to play it on a good friend PC. At the time, those kind of games were rare on the PC, and despite the frustration the game can provide, we enjoyed the game (and there was no music :))

Now my questions & remarks

In the manual, do they explain how to enter shops (up+fire)? because I didn't remember that, I had to watch a video + some review to find out... If you miss the guitar at start I think you're stuck (stupid!)

I've read this excellent review too: https://vgalmanac.com/reviews/retro-...lues-brothers/ which mentions two things I didn't find in the game:

- 2-player game
- sound effects

For me, it's a 1 player game with selectable character, and for the sfx, apart from the excellent music, the sound effects aren't hearable. Is that a bug on fast machines?

vulture 02 June 2019 18:56

Can't recall about the number of players, but I'm pretty sure it had music and effects on my A1200/030.

Rochabian 02 June 2019 19:08

You can play with 2 players

Highlight the two characters on the character selection screen and you're on 2 players ;) (The camera seems to only track player 1 ingame)

And there is SFX with music (tested on CD32 + TF330 )

vulture 02 June 2019 19:24

Just gave it a try on my A1200, the thing with sfx is they're highly inconsistent, sometimes they can be heard and others they're not played back for no good reason. It could be my whdload slave or that it's behaving differently than on unexpanded systems. But the sfx are there.

gimbal 04 June 2019 18:51

Yep, played this on my A500 all the time and indeed it has two player support and does music + SFX (but the music seems to have the priority, the SFX tend to get cut off).

I think you had to do a little trick in the character selection to select both players, like press diagonally down or something.

StingRay 04 June 2019 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1324922)
and for the sfx, apart from the excellent music, the sound effects aren't hearable. Is that a bug on fast machines?


The sample player is buggy on faster machines, I have fixed this back in November 2017 in V1.2 of the WHDLoad patch.

dlfrsilver 04 June 2019 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1324922)
I'm currently reworking the blues brothers whdload slave to add second button support / joypad controls for pause, etc..

Time for me to revisit this game. Maybe I like it because I used to play it on a good friend PC. At the time, those kind of games were rare on the PC, and despite the frustration the game can provide, we enjoyed the game (and there was no music :))

Now my questions & remarks

In the manual, do they explain how to enter shops (up+fire)? because I didn't remember that, I had to watch a video + some review to find out... If you miss the guitar at start I think you're stuck (stupid!)

I've read this excellent review too: https://vgalmanac.com/reviews/retro-...lues-brothers/ which mentions two things I didn't find in the game:

- 2-player game
- sound effects

For me, it's a 1 player game with selectable character, and for the sfx, apart from the excellent music, the sound effects aren't hearable. Is that a bug on fast machines?

Is the game installed as real files ? i don't remember if it is the case or not.

jotd 04 June 2019 22:53

yes, real files. From custom format disk at least for 1 version.

@Stingray damn I didn't check your patch. I'll merge the new changes I'm doing with yours (and I'll check your patch since I'm curious!)

Must remember to always check for an update before resuming work on a patch.

StingRay 05 June 2019 01:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 1325457)
Is the game installed as real files ? i don't remember if it is the case or not.


I have made the patch to use real files again in V1.2.




Quote:

@Stingray damn I didn't check your patch. I'll merge the new changes I'm doing with yours (and I'll check your patch since I'm curious!)

Must remember to always check for an update before resuming work on a patch.

That always is a good idea. :) As all sources are in the archive (as usual) there shouldn't be any problems, hopefully.

jotd 15 June 2019 22:39

I merged the latest BluesBros sources with mine and it's almost done. Wasn't that hard, fortunately. I added an option to keep using the old "disk.1" file (probably will work better/will load less with CD32load and a planned full CD edition with audio tracks)

Stingray, related problem for Jim Power. I redid the patch but wasn't aware of an unpublished slave from yours until I stumbled on this mantis report: http://mantis.whdload.de/view.php?id=1095

This time, I had checked whdload page (since I didn't participate in writing the slave, I had this reflex), but not useful...

Maybe you want to share your source / update my latest slave to add your patch. I don't care, the only important point would be that the new slave contains 2nd button feature + your fixes


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:08.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.04156 seconds with 11 queries