English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. General (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Amiga programming website & wiki (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89769)

Nightfox 11 December 2017 17:14

Amiga programming website & wiki

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I created a website that contained tutorials and a wiki that anybody can contribute to for all things Amiga programming related, would this be of interest and would people contribute?

I was thinking the wiki could be the one place to get all info about everything to do with the Amiga system and programming for it. It would be a complete replacement for, and extension to, the Hardware Reference Manual.

It could also contain undocumented things people have discovered etc.

Please vote in the poll at the top of the page.

mcgeezer 11 December 2017 17:20

Having got my love back for Amiga programming i would have appreciated a resource like this around how to do some common tasks.

Samurai_Crow 11 December 2017 17:24

Making a website is easy. Trying to keep a wiki intact and accurate requires vigilant moderation.

I am an admin on AmigaCoding.de if a forum style board would help. I can update the forum lists if there's a particular one needed.

Nightfox 11 December 2017 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow (Post 1205406)
Making a website is easy. Trying to keep a wiki intact and accurate requires vigilant moderation.

I am an admin on AmigaCoding.de if a forum style board would help. I can update the forum lists if there's a particular one needed.

Hmm a forum might be a good place for people to request pages to be added or changed in the wiki

Samurai_Crow 11 December 2017 17:37

AmigaCoding.com is a wiki related to AmosPro, AmiBlitz and Assembly. It's not affiliated with AmigaCoding.de but it's still a wiki.

meynaf 11 December 2017 17:59

Just voted : interested, and might contribute.

The problem of a wiki is that anyone can alter (understand : deface) it.
A forum is indeed a good place for requesting changes.

Sinphaltimus 11 December 2017 18:16

I said interested no contribute because I know nothing programming on the Amiga.

I would use the site strictly for learning to do so however; if I ever got to actually programming something on the Amiga, I will then, at that time, contribute.

So yes please, at least for those of us who always wanted to get started programming the Amiga.

netizensmith 11 December 2017 20:33

Just went to amigacoding.com and it basically threw up over my browser. I guess there is an issue with that site at the moment.

Samurai_Crow 11 December 2017 20:41

@netizensmith
That's what a public wiki looks like after being hacked mercilessly without a good staff of moderation and administration behind it. :-(

Nightfox 12 December 2017 02:05

I'd be more than willing to perform some moderation, but as I am not an Amiga programming wizard, I'd like some of the wizards here to perform fact validation.

Also I will pay for all website costs

OmegaMax 12 December 2017 05:33

Anything that helps others get into amiga coding is a good idea to me.

spacey 12 December 2017 07:12

i'd be interested in this too.

MartinW 12 December 2017 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow (Post 1205447)
@netizensmith
That's what a public wiki looks like after being hacked mercilessly without a good staff of moderation and administration behind it. :-(

Been like that for quite some time now too. Doesn't look like anyones doing anything about it :(

Nightfox 12 December 2017 12:25

That's why we should all be diligent to maintain it, make it free of any crap posted by lamers, and make it the best and most thorough resource on the World Wide Web

Amiga1992 12 December 2017 14:44

I am VERY interested but have nothing to contribute to it :sad

Asman 12 December 2017 14:58

Voted: Interested, and may also contribute.

respect

tolkien 12 December 2017 22:13

Very interested but dont know if I would can contribute.

Daedalus 12 December 2017 22:18

Amigacoding.com would be the ideal place for that, and could be expanded with other sections, as currently it only has a brief overview of e.g. C compilers. I've built up the Blitz section to what it is now, and it would be great if others contributed too. However, for the past while it's been spewing php errors. I've sent an email to the site owner as he fixed this issue before last year IIRC, but this time I haven't heard back from him...

Remaking the ROM Kernel Manuals isn't really necessary though as they're available on amigadev.elowar.com, including the 3.5/3.9 additions.

Nightfox 13 December 2017 02:05

If the info on that website is good, perhaps the info from there could be added to my wiki. I plan to have a robust system. I have a computer science degree and am a software and web developer as my full time job so I know what I'm doing

Nightfox 13 December 2017 14:14

I came up with the name Amiga Zone, so I tried registering the domain amigazone.com, but that is already taken despite there being no website there. However, it did suggest I get amigazone.guru instead. How perfect! That's what I went for