English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. C/C++ (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   vbcc IDE (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=83621)

iliak 31 July 2016 00:01

vbcc IDE

Hi

Which IDE for vbcc do you advise me to use with Ubuntu (the idea is to use a custom makefile) ?

Eclipse 4.6.0 can process my makefile but I've the following error :
Code:

23:56:36 **** Incremental Build of configuration Default for project 68kos ****
make rom
make[1]: vc : commande introuvable
makefile:53 : la recette pour la cible « signal/raise.o » a échouée
make[1]: *** [signal/raise.o] Erreur 127
makefile:91 : la recette pour la cible « c.lib » a échouée
make: *** [c.lib] Erreur 2

23:56:36 Build Finished (took 65ms)

=> make[1]: vc: command not found

Any idea ?

phx 01 August 2016 10:44

Never used Eclipse myself, so I hope somebody else can help you.
I guess you have to configure the path to the "vc" frontend somewhere.

iliak 01 August 2016 15:18

Any other IDE to suggest ?

Leffmann 01 August 2016 16:34

Go into Project -> Properties -> C/C++ Build -> Environment, and add the new VBCC and PATH variables.

iliak 01 August 2016 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leffmann (Post 1103849)
Go into Project -> Properties -> C/C++ Build -> Environment, and add the new VBCC and PATH variables.

Thank you Leffmann !
I just added the variable PATH => /opt/m68k-amigaos/bin/ and now I can make builds from Eclipse :)

kamelito 02 August 2016 13:40

Eclipse is dog slow :)
Kamelito

Vairn 17 November 2016 21:56

I use Sublime Text 3. Under windows and linux.
Works well. Has loads of cool addons. Even a m68k asm syntax. All installed via sublime itself. Once you install its package control system.

I created my own vbcc build setting too.

Locutus 17 November 2016 22:46

Emacs, obviously

Panthros 18 November 2016 05:44

Give Atom a try. It is an amazing little editor and cross platform like Sublime.

https://atom.io/

PR77 16 August 2018 21:32

Anyone willing to share their eclipse IDE configuration? … or any other similar IDE config?

plasmab 17 August 2018 09:09

vbcc IDE

Quote:

Originally Posted by PR77 (Post 1261606)
Anyone willing to share their eclipse IDE configuration? … or any other similar IDE config?

I dislike all IDEs but for a lightweight C/C++ one I use Codelite. It plugs into makefiles or cmake so no setup is needed per platform.

PR77 17 August 2018 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasmab (Post 1261726)
I dislike all IDEs but for a lightweight C/C++ one I use Codelite. It plugs into makefiles or cmake so no setup is needed per platform.

Which plugin do you use to phase the vbcc makefile?

plasmab 17 August 2018 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by PR77 (Post 1261930)
Which plugin do you use to phase the vbcc makefile?

I dont. I maintain the makefile manually. If you dont do that you end up with something that only builds in an ide.. and thats crap.

plasmab 17 August 2018 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasmab (Post 1261933)
I dont. I maintain the makefile manually. If you dont do that you end up with something that only builds in an ide.. and thats crap.

Its a very simple makefile that just takes a list of source files on one line.. very easy.

PR77 17 August 2018 20:37

Gotch ya! That I can do, no problem. Codelite (Atom. eclipse and code::blocks) just don't seem to work. My goal is actually to have the IDE with the parsed "includes", etc so you get the nice code completion, type peeking, etc. I thought that codeLite could, from within the IDE, parse the makefile and magically find include paths for code completion, type peeking, etc

With the Raspberry Pi and NetBeans this works great! I was hoping for the same thing with vbcc.

modrobert 17 August 2018 22:05

One terminal for 'vim', another terminal for 'vbcc' compiling? ;)

My screen fits six xterm terminals total in Ubuntu, that beats any "Integrated Development Environment" I've ever tried productivity wise. Usually have one dedicated terminal just to do 'grep -ri -B 1 -A 2 string_to_look_for' in the source tree.

pipper 18 August 2018 00:20

I’m using QtCreator alongside with Bebbo’s gcc.
It is non-invasive to projects and allows to just import a directory full of source into the
IDE without going through any complicated setup. Point it at a directory of source and start editing.
It can also be setup to support source level debugging via Bebbo’s bgdbserver.

The cool thing is that once you setup the m68k gdb as ‘kit’, the editor will understand where to look for the system includes and code completion will work nicely. One downside I left for me: the editor parsing is using clang and does not understand the register names in inline assembly... resulting in editor warnings all over and no code completion for system calls (they all, with few exceptions, use inline assembly for the trampoline functions).

Hewitson 18 August 2018 05:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by modrobert (Post 1261959)
One terminal for 'vim', another terminal for 'vbcc' compiling? ;)

No IDE can even come close to this in my opinion.

alkis 18 August 2018 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipper (Post 1261999)
One downside I left for me: the editor parsing is using clang and oes not understand the register names in inline assembly... resulting in editor warnings all over and no code completion for system calls (they all, with few exceptions, use inline assembly for the trampoline functions).

One trick I used on a similar issue with Emacs is:

Code:

#ifndef LEAN
#include <clib/dos_protos.h>
#include <clib/exec_protos.h>
#else
#include <proto/exec.h>
#include <proto/dos.h>
#endif

So the checker (clang) doesn't know about the LEAN flag and parses the clib/* but when I compile I define (-DLEAN) the LEAN flag and get the inlines.
This fixes the issue on my setup.

MartinW 21 April 2019 23:25

Sorry to bump an old thread but is there any way to trick parsers into knowing to ignore VBCC proprietary directives such as "__chip", as in:

static UWORD __chip copList[] = { blah ... };

Either that, or an IDE that can learn about vbcc and be able to handle it - would be better actually?

I've tried Visual Studio Code, CLion and now QT Creator and while they can all cope nicely with the build system to some degree or other (VS Code has been best for me so far), they all get tripped up by that '__chip' and throw a load of IntelliSense errors.

I know it's not the end of the world and it doesn't stop things working but it's very annoying.