English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   blinking power led/no screen on amiga 500 (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=497)

Akuma 12 June 2001 16:01

blinking power led/no screen on amiga 500

i have an amiga 500 and a philips monitor connected to it. well, when i power on the amiga i see a screen on the monitor, but it blinks, as does the power-LED of the amiga. it just blinks and gives no screen at all (with or without an inserted wb-disk for instance). what could be the problem? :/ thanks in advance!

derSammler 12 June 2001 16:49

If the screen is coloured you can see, which part of your amiga is faulty.

green screen = no chipmem found (or chipmem is damaged)
red screen = bad kickstart-rom
yellow screen = mostly a bad cpu or a bad expansion-card

Akuma 12 June 2001 17:04

hm..it's strange. the screen blinks white (it's a color monitor. it blinks green when in "green-mode") and then it's just blank (black). it goes white when the power-led on the amiga is on, and blank when it's off. the power-led goes on about once every two seconds, then off and so on. so the screen isn't continuously colored, it "blinks" (as does the power-led of the amiga).

Quote:

Originally posted by WindowsKiller

reaperangel 17 June 2001 11:40

ok i had this problem.. now i got really pissed at it hit it right in the center . of the keybord

and it works now been doing it to this crap amiga for years. no joke.

i have 3 of them this one does it only thats the fix most have it on when you bang it ..

Amiga1992 18 June 2001 19:41

Don't be hitting Amigas you bastard :P If it solves when you hit it, then a chip must be a bit out of place.

Open it up and make sure ALL chips are firmly socketed into their place. There surely must be a loose one playing dumb.

Don't hit it. It hurts :(

Unregistered 20 June 2001 19:51

My Amiga 600 HD had this problem.

Every time I pressed return it crashed, the green led flashed and screen changed reg to yellow to green.

I found out it was the 1mb ram upgrade. I Pushed a wood Clothes peg in with the ram to hold it in.

This is why ram in PCs have clips to hold them in.

calmstillflat 26 August 2006 03:07

Green Screen - RAM or ROM?

Hi WindowsKiller

I'm not sure what 'Chipmem' is. Is it the RAM chips? or the ROM chip?
I have an A500+ that just displays the green screen. I guess if it's the RAM i need a new board?

Thanks
CSF

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsKiller

BippyM 26 August 2006 11:37

yes the chipram is damaged, so new mobo i'm afraid to say!

Check the battery hasn't leaked as that is common in the 500+ machines. If it is try and clean off as much of the shit as possible and remove the battery. Hopefully the leakage hasn't caused any corrosion and it can be resurrected with a good clean!

If the board is corroded it is only any good for the bin (save all socketed chips off it tho!!)

calmstillflat 26 August 2006 13:27

Hi bippym, thanks for your quick reply

The Battery is quite corroded, i guess it did leak. I'll try and prise it out. If the battery is faulty does this stop the RAM from working and cause the Green Screen? also - are these batteries still available?

Sorry for so many questions, but I only recently rediscovered my 500+ in the loft of my parents house, and i really want to get it working again.

Thanks Again

Smiley 26 August 2006 13:35

No,the only point of the battery is to keep track of the time while the Amiga is powered off. Really the battery is not needed.

BippyM 26 August 2006 13:45

Remove the battery and hope the corrosion isn't too severe.

It might just be causing a short on the board, which when cleaned is fixed. Most likely it has corroded some tracks and components (hence memory not working).. good luck