English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Psygnosis is dead (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65512)

FromWithin 22 August 2012 14:27

Psygnosis is dead

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/90...-wipeout-maker

How very sad.

Now if only I could get access to loft. Should be lots of old history left up there.

deicidal 22 August 2012 14:38

Yeh sad day indeed, quite a few friends back out of a job, apparently they are keeping the QA dept open though.

quahappy 22 August 2012 15:15

Sad news indeed. Lost count how many of my games collection were from Psygnosis over the years. To name a few I had owned: Blood Money, Lemmings, all the Beast games, Destruction Derby, Ballistix, Benefactor (great puzzle game!) and Leander (amazing graphics).

RIP Psygnosis.

Galahad/FLT 22 August 2012 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by FromWithin (Post 835266)

How very sad.

Now if only I could get access to loft. Should be lots of old history left up there.

Very sad, very shortsighted.

musashi9 22 August 2012 16:03

Sad, I went there a couple of times to play test some Ps1 games.

lordofchaos 22 August 2012 16:08

Can't say I'm surprised with this news given the current climate in the games industry but still gutted to hear this, to think that at one point they were THE top dogs of there domain with their cutting edge graphics and sound..I blame Call Of Duty, nah not really but still felt good to say it. I stil dream for the day that all the great developers from the Amiga community reunite to make a super company...

Phantom 22 August 2012 16:14

Psygnosis was already dead when Sony bought them since 1993.

dlfrsilver 22 August 2012 16:14

Indeed.... Psygnosis was such a great game publisher, a legendary one !

I would be so happy that anyone with fondness about this name and reference would buy it back, and ressurect it...... all those memories :'(

lordofchaos 22 August 2012 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 835301)
Psygnosis was already dead when Sony bought them since 1993.

Yes, the name may have remained but the soul had long been destroyed...

FromWithin 22 August 2012 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordofchaos (Post 835313)
Yes, the name may have remained but the soul had long been destroyed...

I beg to differ. There were still quite a few people there (mostly artists) from the glory days, including the very first artist. There were even more (programmers and the like) prior to the last round of redundancies a year or so ago. It was still Psygnosis in many ways, including the same security guards and receptionists.

The soul of Psygnosis was definitely there and was apparent in the most recent Wipeout releases.

chocolate_boy 22 August 2012 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by FromWithin (Post 835266)

How very sad.

Strange how all the media/stories seem to be concentrating on Wipeout being their moment of glory, surely the Lemmings series was their main hit and more famous?

Amiga1992 22 August 2012 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocolate_boy (Post 835331)
surely the Lemmings series was their main hit and more famous?

No, it wasn't.

This is a sad day.

chocolate_boy 22 August 2012 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 835334)
No, it wasn't.

This is a sad day.

Wow, very surprised by that news. I've never been much of a Playstation head, but the sheer number of platforms that Lemmings has been ported to (and still continues to be to this day) would suggest it's a more famous game than Wipeout was.

Amiga1992 22 August 2012 17:25

If it was, they would have mentioned it :P
Also the amount of videogame machines out there from the time of the playstation 1 on is surely much bigger than anything that was available at the time of Lemmings.

Phantom 22 August 2012 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 835339)
Also the amount of videogame machines out there from the time of the playstation 1 on is surely much bigger than anything that was available at the time of Lemmings.

Who will mention it? Sony themselves? If yes, they have nothing to do with the Amiga-era apparently, so according to them, yes, Wipeout was their hit. ;)

But for an Amiga user, Psygnosis was well-known for Lemmings, Shadow of the Beast series, Agony, Awesome etc.

chocolate_boy 22 August 2012 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 835339)

But Lemmings has been ported to pretty much every platform (computer/console/handheld) since 1992 to today.

I'd put Lemmings up there with Pacmac for being a famous, game-changing title that is recognised the world over.

I wouldn't put Wipeout up there, it's just another racer.

I think this is more a case of one journalist wrote an article and mentioned Wipeout and the cut & paste culture of journalism today, everyone has just copied it.

chocolate_boy 22 August 2012 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 835341)
Who will mention it? Sony themselves? If yes, they have nothing to do with the Amiga-era apparently, so according to them, yes, Wipeout was their hit. ;)

Lemmings was a PSN launch title for PS3. It wasn't just an Amiga game, it's been out on pretty much every platform for the last 20 years.

s2325 22 August 2012 17:35

I was really dissapointed by Lemmings 3D, Lemmings Revolution and Lemmings Paintball. But I think something was not right earlier - in All New Worlds of Lemmings.

Predseda 22 August 2012 17:37

Killed by Sony. As usual.

chocolate_boy 22 August 2012 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2325 (Post 835347)
But I think something was not right earlier - in All New Worlds of Lemmings.

I quite enjoyed that, still play it today sometimes. It was different, but when you got into it, just as fun.