English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Cloanto Releases Amiga Forever Essentials for Android (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=68914)

Kitty 23 April 2013 21:57

Cloanto Releases Amiga Forever Essentials for Android

http://awesome.commodore.me/cloanto-...s-for-android/

TCD 23 April 2013 22:11

Now they offer that stuff for 99 cent :rolleyes

Guess that's excellent news for everyone that always thought that Cloanto was way overpriced and still wanted legal emulation.

MethodGit 23 April 2013 22:35

Seems like it's finally dawned on Cloanto that people would be happier with a simple roms-only package for peanuts rather than get all the fluff on top.

PSPUAE to receive an Essentials package next? ;)

LocalH 23 April 2013 22:41

Looks like they still insist in XORing the damn ROMs as best as I can find. No, thanks.

I would enjoy being wrong, however.

FOL 23 April 2013 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by MethodGit (Post 883558)

PSPUAE to receive an Essentials package next? ;)

lol, never really thought to ask him. Ive spoken to michael alot and never thought of it.

On topic, its good news as android is a great platform since jelly bean release.

MethodGit 24 April 2013 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by LocalH (Post 883563)
Looks like they still insist in XORing the damn ROMs as best as I can find. No, thanks.

I would enjoy being wrong, however.

Admittedly it would be a pisstake if the roms were still encrypted. They could take a leaf from RISC OS Ltd and release a whole collection of encryption-free system ROMs for one fixed price (though aping RISC OS's £10 asking price may still be a tad cheeky).

TCD 24 April 2013 00:02

Can't see any restrictions on the usage, so basically you buy this and get KS 1.2, 1.3, 2.04, 3.0 and 3.1 plus WB 1.3 for 99 cent. You just need an Android phone and the means to transfer the files to your PC. Simply can't believe they never offered something like this for 5 $ or less to PC and Mac users before...

FOL 24 April 2013 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid (Post 883583)
Can't see any restrictions on the usage, so basically you buy this and get KS 1.2, 1.3, 2.04, 3.0 and 3.1 plus WB 1.3 for 99 cent. You just need an Android phone and the means to transfer the files to your PC. Simply can't believe they never offered something like this for 5 $ or less to PC and Mac users before...

Or 65p, :).

mcb 24 April 2013 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MethodGit (Post 883582)
Admittedly it would be a pisstake if the roms were still encrypted.

Why? We are not talking about DRM, but about a simple and documented encoding format that has been supported by UAE, Fellow and their derivatives since 1997, including all four emulators for Android (UAE4Droid, AnUAE4All, UAE4All2, Omega 500).

Considering that the user doesn't suffer in any way from it, and that both developers and users benefit from the fact that this made it possible to release Amiga Forever in the first place, I don't see the big deal about it.

demolition 24 April 2013 13:52

Plus it is really easy to dump the unencrypted ROM files through WinUAE.

mcb 24 April 2013 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid (Post 883583)
Can't see any restrictions on the usage

When you buy the app Google asks you to tick the box to accept their ToS. In short, the app is licensed for the Android devices under your account. If there is a conflict between the Google terms and those in the Amiga Forever Essentials EULA (included with the shared files of the app), Google's terms prevail.

TCD 24 April 2013 15:36

Which in terms means that once the files leave the Android device they are illegal. Guess it'll take you a while to find a way to release AF Essentials for PC and Mac users?

desiv 24 April 2013 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by LocalH (Post 883563)
Looks like they still insist in XORing the damn ROMs as best as I can find.

It was always my understanding that Cloanto did that because they have a license for the ROMS for emulation purposes only. Could be wrong, but I always thought it was a licensing issue and not Cloanto's to "just distribute ROMs."

That said, as has been mentioned, it's really easy to "pull" the ROMs from within the emulated Amiga...

desiv

MethodGit 24 April 2013 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by demolition (Post 883685)
Plus it is really easy to dump the unencrypted ROM files through WinUAE.

Last I read though, the Kick 3.1 rom was altered to be unuseable post-dump at the request of Amiga Inc???

prowler 24 April 2013 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MethodGit (Post 883582)
They could take a leaf from RISC OS Ltd and release a whole collection of encryption-free system ROMs for one fixed price (though aping RISC OS's £10 asking price may still be a tad cheeky).

Hey, thanks for that info, MG! :) I've just bought myself that RISC OS Classic ROM Collection c/w supporting floppy disk images for £10!! :great :D

MethodGit 25 April 2013 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by prowler (Post 883804)
Hey, thanks for that info, MG! :) I've just bought myself that RISC OS Classic ROM Collection c/w supporting floppy disk images for £10!! :great :D

Hey, no sweat :) - It's a pretty nicely built collection too, even if I would question the price. I also bought the RISC OS 4.02 rom off them a few years ago, though I still haven't tested to see how well games (and emulation in general) perform with it.

imigger 25 April 2013 22:17

cloanto if you there can you do a raspberry pi release that would be so cool ,that make me love my pi even more.

lesta_smsc 25 April 2013 23:07

That's REALLY cheap to get access to LEGAL ROMS for 65p!?

desiv 26 April 2013 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesta_smsc (Post 883999)
That's REALLY cheap to get access to LEGAL ROMS for 65p!?

Yes, Legal ROMs for use in the emulator you purchased. It's a good deal.

Legal to use elsewhere/anywhere? Not sure.. Should be in the ToS...

desiv

lesta_smsc 05 May 2013 12:17

Re: Cloanto Releases Amiga Forever Essentials for Android

Quote:

Originally Posted by desiv (Post 884187)
Yes, Legal ROMs for use in the emulator you purchased. It's a good deal.

Legal to use elsewhere/anywhere? Not sure.. Should be in the ToS...

desiv

Doesn't matter I have Amigs Forever as it is. Just thought this was great for people looking for legal roms!