English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   AMR contributions (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Contributing cover disks - how, where? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89589)

Excalibur 25 November 2017 07:54

Contributing cover disks - how, where?

Hi all,

I am throwing out a box of my old collection of original magazine cover disks. I've looked through the cover disk database at amr.abime.net and have discovered I have 82 disks from various magazines that are not listed (no download link).

I am happy not to see the disks simply go to waste and would be happy to ADF them, but I am not sure of where to then upload the images. The "How can I contribute?" sticky and AMR FAQ haven't really enlightened me. Could someone please let me know where I can send these please? I am relatively new here, so references like "HOL FTP" etc. are meaningless to me, some details would be nice please. :)

Thanks

emufan 25 November 2017 08:07

hi,

create an account on the eab ftp.
the admin will activate it as soon as possible, I hope.
once it's activated, you can access the grandis ftp server and upload to your own folder in ~Uploads/Excalibur

ptyerman 25 November 2017 08:33

Just to add. After you have ADF'd them and before you throw them away, it may be worth offering the disks for the cost of postage.
I'm pretty sure some users would be interested in them and its better than them been binned!
There is quite a few disks that are missing label scans too, there used to be a list on another forum but it has now closed. There is a effort underway to revive that list on here, you can view the details and progress at http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89583.

Turran 25 November 2017 09:14

PM me your desired password and I'll make sure you have an account on the FTP. We'll have to add you manually due to your postcount =)

DH 25 November 2017 15:31

Don't forget, along with the adf images of the disks, a high quality scan of the labels is also welcome too, so long as you have the means to do this, otherwise send them on to someone who will :)

Excalibur 26 November 2017 00:34

Thanks all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptyerman (Post 1201967)
After you have ADF'd them and before you throw them away, it may be worth offering the disks for the cost of postage.
I'm pretty sure some users would be interested in them and its better than them been binned!

I could do. Although, being in Australia the postage to Europe may be a little hefty, but it anyone's keen enough...:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turran (Post 1201975)
PM me your desired password and I'll make sure you have an account on the FTP. We'll have to add you manually due to your postcount =)

Done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DH (Post 1202015)
Don't forget, along with the adf images of the disks, a high quality scan of the labels is also welcome too, so long as you have the means to do this, otherwise send them on to someone who will :)

Are there any guidelines to label scans e.g. resolution/DPI, file format, etc.?

Also, once I've uploaded any files, who do I inform and how?

Thanks

happymondays 26 November 2017 00:48

Maybe you should change the title of the thread (huge number of free coverdisks for postage in AU or whatever), then you might attract the attention of fellow Australians, there are a lot of members here. It would really be a shame to waste those disks. I would pay the postage myself, but I guess it would cost half a fortune to send them to Hungary.

emufan 26 November 2017 02:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 1202117)
Are there any guidelines to label scans e.g. resolution/DPI, file format, etc.?

faq of amr list those details.
Quote:

Also, once I've uploaded any files, who do I inform and how?
right here in this thread.

@admin: there is no link to the amr faq on it's startpage.
at least I cannot spot it.

Excalibur 10 December 2017 01:16

Hi all,

I have uploaded over 50 cover disk images and disk label scans to my home FTP directory and posted messages to that effect here, but haven't seen anything I have uploaded appear at AMR yet. Is there something I have missed, someone I need to PM or somesuch?

Thanks

DH 10 December 2017 10:39

Try sending a pm to codetapper, you could also try galaxy too but the last time he was on EAB was 23 July 2013 @ 05:05 :sad Point your pm to each thread you have started regarding scans. Hopefully he'll be in touch, but don't sit around waiting as this may take a while.

Like all projects, there's just not enough time, or guys, to make things happen quickly. All I can say is don't stop, don't think no one is bothered and don't remove what you have uploaded.

And most of all, keep up the good work :great

Excalibur 10 December 2017 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by DH (Post 1205102)
Try sending a pm to codetapper, you could also try galaxy too

Thanks, have done. Hopefully the contributions will eventually see their way to AMR.

icycool 13 February 2018 18:09

Thanks very much Excalibur, some interesting covers in here for sure!

Sinphaltimus 13 February 2018 20:33

I maybe interested in those disks for cost of postage although I'm in US so the price maybe more than I can do at the moment - if no one else has claimed them by now.

Excalibur 14 February 2018 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 1205304)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DH (Post 1205102)
Try sending a pm to codetapper, you could also try galaxy too

Thanks, have done. Hopefully the contributions will eventually see their way to AMR.

Unfortunately I have received no reply to the pm's, nor have my disk images been added to AMR, so I'm afraid I have lost a little interest now. :sad

Excalibur 14 February 2018 00:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by icycool (Post 1219397)
Thanks very much Excalibur, some interesting covers in here for sure!

No problem. :D

Excalibur 14 February 2018 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus (Post 1219422)
I maybe interested in those disks for cost of postage although I'm in US so the price maybe more than I can do at the moment - if no one else has claimed them by now.

Yep, someone else has claimed them, sorry about that.

Sinphaltimus 14 February 2018 00:45

No worries.