English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Raspberry Pi 3 out (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81786)

Retroplay 29 February 2016 21:02

Raspberry Pi 3 out
 
Quote:

  • A 1.2GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU (~10x the performance of Raspberry Pi 1)
  • Integrated 802.11n wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.1
  • Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1 and 2

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/ras...-pi-3-on-sale/

I already ordered one. :D

alexh 29 February 2016 22:55

My Pi2 has been in the cupboard for months as it couldn't do x265@1080p. The new Pi still uses videocore IV so no new hardware codecs :-(

gimbal 01 March 2016 00:09

Wow, a Pi with on-board WiFi. That seems like a really useful tool, but I'm coming up blank for an exact reason why :)

ransom1122 01 March 2016 00:20

50% faster then RPI2.
I wonder if it will be noticeable?

Amigajay 01 March 2016 01:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by ransom1122 (Post 1074270)
50% faster then RPI2.
I wonder if it will be noticeable?

Only in the same way upgrading a new phone every year is i.e not very!

Akira 01 March 2016 01:39

Not true, with proper optimization, you can notice the increase a lot, for example, maybe now N64 emulation becomes decent!

ransom1122 01 March 2016 02:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 1074285)
Not true, with proper optimization, you can notice the increase a lot, for example, maybe now N64 emulation becomes decent!

There's that word again "maybe".

Let's hope the production of rpies don't become like mobile phones. Where upgrades are minimal.

The difference from rpie 1 to 2 was worth the purchase. But from 2 to 3 I don't see what a 3 can do that my 2 can't do.

I'm sure we'll see many videos on YouTube though so we can make up our minds that way. For me the cost is not the issue its having multiple rpies just wasting space is.

Dunny 01 March 2016 02:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 1074285)
Not true, with proper optimization, you can notice the increase a lot, for example, maybe now N64 emulation becomes decent!

Given that the 1GHz Pandora can do N64 very competently with a single core (Hell, even with the 600MHz CC Pandora's A8 a lot of N64 is very playable), I'm expecting that the Pi3 will nail it.

D.

BippyM 01 March 2016 12:16

Retroplay

Let me know if this is any good. I am tempted with one myself, but only if the improvements are worth shelling out another £30-£50

gimbal 01 March 2016 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunny (Post 1074299)
Given that the 1GHz Pandora can do N64 very competently with a single core (Hell, even with the 600MHz CC Pandora's A8 a lot of N64 is very playable), I'm expecting that the Pi3 will nail it.

D.

Hm, that might depend on how well the emulator does multithreading, otherwise the single core thingies will probably still blow it away

ransom1122 01 March 2016 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by bippym (Post 1074351)
retroplay

let me know if this is any good. I am tempted with one myself, but only if the improvements are worth shelling out another £30-£50

+1

Anubis 01 March 2016 14:28

LOL, posted RPi3 news yesterday morning (on wrong forum - one for uae4arm :)), just after I've ordered mine. :D

As RPi2 works miracle with Amiga emulation, RPi3 should just do it better, as for everything else... not sure you will notice big difference except for some emulators.

There is no 64bit Rasbian yet, but that is going to be another change with RPi3. I am not sure how I feel about power requirement, as most adapters are up to 2.5A and RPi3 will require 2.8A.

Here are some charts performance wise...

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/wp...2/Sysbench.png

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/wp...2/QuakeIII.png

Only place where RPi3 is worst from its predecessors - power drawn... but I guess for extra wifi and BT.... well worth it... :)

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/wp.../Powerdraw.png

Daedalus 01 March 2016 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by ransom1122 (Post 1074298)
There's that word again "maybe".

Let's hope the production of rpies don't become like mobile phones. Where upgrades are minimal.

The difference from rpie 1 to 2 was worth the purchase. But from 2 to 3 I don't see what a 3 can do that my 2 can't do.

I'm sure we'll see many videos on YouTube though so we can make up our minds that way. For me the cost is not the issue its having multiple rpies just wasting space is.

It is definitely and substantially faster, and it has built in Bluetooth and Wifi. But of course a Core2 can do pretty much anything an i7 can do, just a little bit slower. Of course it'll be noticeable if you do anything CPU intensive on it. If you don't, it won't. Pretty simple really.

trixster 01 March 2016 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexh (Post 1074247)
My Pi2 has been in the cupboard for months as it couldn't do x265@1080p. The new Pi still uses videocore IV so no new hardware codecs :-(

Take your pi out of the cupboard. Recent improvments (end of jan 16) now make lower bitrate 1080p x265 viable on a slightly overclocked rpi2. 720p x265 is pretty much flawless now. Rpi3 'should' make most 1080p x265 ok as well.

trixster 01 March 2016 17:29

UAE4ARM with jit enabled on a 1050mhz rpi2 gives 80mips and 7flops in sysspeed when emulating an 040. It'll be interesting to see what an overclocked rpi3 can deliver. 100mips?

Amigajay 01 March 2016 17:57

Wow! the Zero draws less power in load vs Pi2/3 in idle mode!

S0ulA55a551n 01 March 2016 17:58

Just ordered. For the built in wifi and Bluetooth alone makes it much easier.

had the first one on day of release and own a 2 as well :)

BippyM 01 March 2016 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n (Post 1074427)
Just ordered. For the built in wifi and Bluetooth alone makes it much easier.

had the first one on day of release and own a 2 as well :)

I've just moved my pi to my pc monitor (it has HDMI input too) and it's too far from my network.. Don't want to sacrifice a usb port for networking, so looks like I might order one.

jbenam 01 March 2016 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexh (Post 1074247)
My Pi2 has been in the cupboard for months as it couldn't do x265@1080p. The new Pi still uses videocore IV so no new hardware codecs :-(

The Pi 3 has got hw support for x265 decoding 1080p@30fps. Should be good enough for every movie out there which hasn't been filmed in 60fps :)

trixster 01 March 2016 19:26

No it hasn't.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:27.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.04607 seconds with 11 queries