English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Errors with OS3.9+PPC (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=4373)

oldpx 26 April 2002 20:37

Errors with OS3.9+PPC

I installed OS3.9 to make use of my PPC+Bvision boards and my 20GB HD. The installation was successful, I even booted it a few times and it worked ok but all of a sudden it started to display the following error during boot:

AddDataTypes
Program Failed (error #80000008).
Wait for disk activity to finish.

I reformatted the HD and reinstalled os 3.9 now I get the same error but ramlib crashes instead of AddDataTypes. Does anyone have a clue why this is happening? I think the error number explains it but I don't know what it means.

oldpx 26 April 2002 20:39

That's all I know about the error code:

8OOOOOO8 Type: Deadend
Subsystem: CPU
General: General fault
Specified: Privilege violation error
ShowGuru: Hier handelt es sich um eine Privilegverletz-
ung.
LastGURU: Privilege violation

DrBong 26 April 2002 22:17

Could be any number of problems. First thing to do is make sure that all cards, cables etc. inside your tower are securely in place, especially the PPC and BVision cards. It doesn't take too much movement/dislodgement for them to make you visit guru city. Ensuring my cards and cables are secure usually does the trick for me when I start getting complaints about ramlib or gurus on booting.

If that doesn't do the trick, the next thing to do is make sure that your PPC and BVision cards have the latest drivers (060, PPC, SCSI, CyberGraphX) and have the latest firmware flashed. All the Phase 5 drivers can be located here (ftp://ftp.meanmachine.ch/pub/phase5). Latest updates of CyberGraphX software can be found here (http://vgr.com/cybergfx). Best to update all this software after a fresh installation of OS 3.x (which you've already done it seems).

OK, there are other things that you can try, but that's plenty for now. Let us know if you still have problems after doing all that.

oldpx 26 April 2002 23:30

Thanks for the quick reply.
This happens randomly. I just booted up fine then it failed to boot again. I suspect my card is not cooled enough. There is a white substance on my cpu that looks like thermal paste (or whatever it's called in english). I asked the previous owner about it and he said there was a (plastic?) part covering the cpu that caused gurus. He says the gurus disappeared after he took that part off.

Maybe it was a heatsink, or maybe I need a fan.What do you say?

DrBong 27 April 2002 00:01

Yep, the more fans the better inside a tower. The BVision gfx chip is
something that would heat up quite a lot. I recommend sticking a fan
directly on that. The PPC CPU shouldn't heat up all that much as it
runs at a low voltage, but an 040 would definitely fry an egg after a
while, so stick a fan on that if it hasn't got one already. A heatsink
really is not enough.

If you have an 060, I would still recommend putting a fan on the CPU
because it will heat up somewhat if air circulation is poor in the
tower or if the tower is full with expansion cards and other hardware.
Hopefully the tower has another big fan designed just for general air
circulation.

Tell me how you go!

oldpx 27 April 2002 00:39

I cleaned the white thing on the cpu completely now. There is a fan directed to the Bvision, and I don't have a 060, just a 040/25mhz.

I have two hard drives connected. The old one is a 2.1gb Quantum, and the other is a 20gb Fujitsu. When I boot from the smaller one, it just seldomly fails and when it does, it fails with IPrefs or AddDataTypes. The contents of two drives are identical to each other. If I try to boot from the bigger drive, it mostly fails with AddDataTypes' but seldomly works. When I remove the smaller drive (psyhically) and try to boot from Fujitsu, it always crashes with ramlib. When two drives are connected, Quantum is the master and the Fujistu is the slave.

All failure messages are displayed on my RGB monitor (actually TV card-ish video input) but only the last one, the error that is displayed when I only connect the big drive is displayed on a CybergraphX mode screen.

I was planning to remove the smaller drive but it looks like I have to keep it as a boot drive until this issue is solved. I currently have CybergraphX 3 installed but I'll have version 4 after monday. I suspect there may be more than one reason of this problem, like the displacement of cables may be causing the problem with the system on the 2.1 drive whereas the bigger drive's SFS filesystem may be another problem. I may be compleyely wrong on that final statement though. :help

Twistin'Ghost 27 April 2002 08:25

I was gonna say it's a heat problem, too. The cooler the room, the better as well.

oldpx 27 April 2002 21:25

Thanks for the replies. I'm using the Amiga while the case is totally open now, yet it fails to boot most of the time. Not good, not good at all :p Maybe I should go back to 3.1.

oldpx 27 April 2002 22:29

Now I'm getting somewhere. I removed the PPC card and put my 1230-IV instead. Now the system on Quantum works but the 20gig drive gurus! It means there are more than one problems. For now, I decided not to use that drive until main problem is solved. At least now I'm sure it's related to nothing but the PPC board. (Now I'm smart or what :p)

oldpx 28 April 2002 02:02

formatted DH0:
installed 3.1, it works
formatted again
installed 3.9, it works
installed idefix anf cybergraphx, it works
turned off
waited for an hour
turned on
it doesn't work.

By the way, that ftp doesn't have the phase5 directory anymore

oldpx 28 April 2002 11:31

I installed a clean 3.1 last night and it was working. I haven't moved the case even a millimeter but it doesn't boot this morning.

jmmijo 28 April 2002 12:53

This kinda sounds like a loose connection and/or a power supply problem. Not sure what else to tell you here but you maybe right in having multiple problems with the machines and/or devices :(

Twistin'Ghost 28 April 2002 21:12

Have you checked to make sure the chips are all seated snugly? Is there any bowing of the motherboard? These are issues which have given me similar headaches in the past.

oldpx 28 April 2002 22:22

I removed Bvision from the PPC board and noticed that the board is slightly bent because of the tight screws. I loosened them a bit. Actually it took around half an hour this morning to boot properly but after that, it didn't fail at all. I didn't install anything that forces the hardware though. Anyway I'll try to install a serious system with CybergraphX 4 tomottow. Let's hope it will be stable. I hope I'm not boring you with these problems.

oldpx 11 May 2002 11:46

I forgot about this thread! Sorry guys :p

I used a different os3.9 now. Mine had maybe some files missing, for it didn't install internet software at all. I don't know the reason for sure but everything works fine for a while. Thanks for all the help :)

Amiga1992 11 May 2002 19:58

About the white paste thing... im sure it had a heatsink there.... you should put one of those 486 slim fans over it if you can! cool it as much as possible.

What a beast you got, burseg! :)

oldpx 11 May 2002 20:10

:D Yeah!

Quote:

About the white paste thing... im sure it had a heatsink there....
In this photo, there is a cooler:
http://amiga.multigraph.com/photos/blizzardppc.html

In this one, there is "something else":
http://www.amiga-hardware.com/blizzppc040_front_big.jpg

Mysterious isn't it?

Amiga1992 12 May 2002 04:41

On thesecond pic, there's nothing else, they removed the cooler and only the siliconated grease remains. What looks like a "plaque" over the 603 is just...err.. the 603 :)

See? So you need a cooler :) Though phase5's effort seems feeble, they should have put a greater heatsink PLUS a fan in there. The little bitch runs hella hot. My PowerMac's 601 is similar, and its got a heatsink as big as that of Pentium 3 CPUs, and above it it has a turbine fan :P

klapdeur 07 July 2009 15:45

Hi the ramlib error is common.

you have to instal the mcpramlibpatch to get rid of it.

just put it in your c: and edit startup-sequence just after setpatch

Gr
Klapdeur
:)

Rabbit80 07 July 2009 16:09

Wow - way to bring back an old thread!