English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where are your 'friends' from the Amiga scene? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=15590)

Tim Janssen 13 October 2004 20:17

Where are your 'friends' from the Amiga scene?

Last weekend I met someone who looked vaguely familiar. Soon I found out it was my disk-swopping mate from 13 years ago. I had an interesting chat with him.
When the Amiga was popular we met twice a month, swapped some games and listened to our self-composed horrible Octamed tunes. But when the Amiga scene became smaller and the monthly load of software dried up, we lost contact. Apart from our interest in the Amiga we absolutely had nothing in common.
When I come to think of it, in my Amiga days there were really lots of people (whose names I have long forgotten) who I regularly contacted, stayed for dinner and so on.

Do you still see your former Amiga mates or have the contacts dried up like in my case?

BippyM 13 October 2004 20:29

All mine dried up, I had some good friends too, who moved away and I lost contact (Amiga friends)..

The only other person I know who was interested in the Amiga is my cousin, and nowadays he's too stoned and high on his medication to even notice the world let alone me!!!

T_hairy_bootson 14 October 2004 03:58

I was going to start a new thread called: Lost Amiga friends. But found this instead. :D

Cyprian Philip from Thornbury: You still alive mate?

Matthew from TDSC: Owens mate, you must still be into Amigas :)

Greek Sam from Fairfield: You still got that A2000?

Anyone else who traded with George from Preston at one stage or another.

edit: I still keep in contact with 2 of my old Amiga buddies... One is my best mate and the other a mate of my brothers. Both got rid of their Amigas and have lost all interest, one gave me his A500 to me and the other sold his for less than I wouldve given him for the monitor...

manicx 14 October 2004 09:29

Dr Spy: My good ST pal and later Amiga mate. Dropped his Amiga for a SGI and started his own computer grpahics business. He apparently got bored and became a farmer that grows mushrooms... Will visit him in the mountains of western Greece next week.

Elias: My KO2 partner for 2 years. When I left Greece, he got bored and exchanged his A500+ for a video! He still misses the good old days. Met his last year and had a few KO2 matches with him.

Marcello: The man who introduced me to the Amiga and Kick Off. He still has his Amiga 500 from 86 but last time I saw his Amiga there was a cockroach stuck in the floppy drive.

Alkis21: Yes, the Alkis21 that is in the EAB forums. He is more busy these days since he's got a job and lives with his girlfriend.

keropi 21 October 2004 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by manicx
Dr Spy: My good ST pal and later Amiga mate. Dropped his Amiga for a SGI and started his own computer grpahics business. He apparently got bored and became a farmer that grows mushrooms... Will visit him in the mountains of western Greece next week.

Elias: My KO2 partner for 2 years. When I left Greece, he got bored and exchanged his A500+ for a video! He still misses the good old days. Met his last year and had a few KO2 matches with him.

Marcello: The man who introduced me to the Amiga and Kick Off. He still has his Amiga 500 from 86 but last time I saw his Amiga there was a cockroach stuck in the floppy drive.

Alkis21: Yes, the Alkis21 that is in the EAB forums. He is more busy these days since he's got a job and lives with his girlfriend.

Theleis na ginoume filoi??? LOL! :D :D :D
Transl: Wanna be my friend?

alkis21 21 October 2004 14:35

Quote:

Yup, that's me. ;) My old (mid 80s-mid 90s) Amiga friends are all extinct but one, it's a good thing I have the Kick Off World Cup once a year so I can meet new ones, like manicx.

Amiga1992 21 October 2004 19:09

I met the guy that used to provide me with software like 5 years ago. We crossed our paths on the street and I was really happy to meet him, and so was him. I did teh terrible mistake of not asking him for his address or phone number, and I lost contact ever since, and I would REALLY love to meet him again for he was very important in my computer childhood :P

Joe Maroni 21 October 2004 20:25

i also lost my forgotten amiga friends...

from one i got turrican 2 and from the other wings of fury and party games...

but i´ve lost contac years ago...
very sad, but the last i heard was that they even own their amigas this days...

really good amiga friends... :crying

Syko 21 October 2004 22:29

Dave from Shipley; used to work with him, hang out at his house, play on his snes (and lose badly, to his four year old daughter :lol ) got loads of games and stuff, that caused me to go and buy the real ones, reasonably often!

Last I heared he'd got a job down south and was moving there, haven't heard from him in ten years or more :crying

My other mate Rik, who wrote cool med tunes, some of which are on my web site, lives six houses up the road from me :great

All the rest of my Amiga friends live here! :spin :p

Shatterhand 22 October 2004 07:59

I had abouy.. hmm.. 3 friends who had an Amiga here in Brazil.. 2 of them worked together and I met both at the same time, 1 met the Amiga through me, and every game he had he got from me, so I never got anything from him :D. Well, there was also my father, if you can count it as an "Amiga friend", as it was him who introduced me the Amiga, and I changed many disks with him.

Nowadays I have no contact with none of them. Even with my father.. :)

I've met the guy who knew the amiga through me twice after we lost contact, but he barely remembered he had an Amiga once...

Dastardly 22 October 2004 11:18

I had quite a few friends I met just because of Amiga game swapping (copying). Sadly Ive lost touch with most of them because they've grown out of gaming (never!), but there is still one who is a great mate to this day.

manicx 22 October 2004 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by keropi
Theleis na ginoume filoi??? LOL! :D :D :D
Transl: Wanna be my friend?

Sure... :)

keropi 22 October 2004 12:16

Quote:

Sure... :)

lol! :D :D :D Really, is there any dealer in athens that has amiga hardware?

alkis21 22 October 2004 22:13

I doubt it. You can find plenty of stuff in www.fleamarket.gr , though. Are you looking for anything in particular?
Do you live in Athens, keropi? Feel free to e-mail me and Nikos (manicx) anytime, we can get together and relive the old times.. especially if you play Kick Off 2. ;) Nikos and I are going to Milan next month to participate in the World Cup, as I wrote in another thread. Our Amigas are still very much alive.

keropi 23 October 2004 20:25

alkis21: Nope I am at Ioannina.... I was looking for a ps2mouse adaptor, just bought 2 new amiga mice from ebay though! Maybe we meet sometime!

alkis21 24 October 2004 00:30

:shocked Nikos is from Ioannina too!!!! He lives in Athens though. I'm sure you two will have a lot to talk about.

keropi 24 October 2004 00:52

wow...! patioths! lol

AwoL 29 October 2004 11:07

I seem to have pretty much lost touch with all the Amiga people i used to go round to. Laxity went off to work in a sunnier climate (southern england) - still in touch with him via email from time to time, it's been a while though., chem(soap city) haven't heard from in years, others, well, i still see some of the local people (Bowch, Moose etc), and the other one are either RIP, or living at HMP somewhere.

Photon 24 November 2004 14:39

We live in different cities, but Uncle Tom (the world famous musician!!! :P) is still my friend and we keep in touch almost daily. Before we both left the Amiga scene in like '92 or '93, we were in the same demo group (Scoopex). Ever since '93 he's been in the Arcade Scene :) and he has about 200 arcade game PCB sets, feel free to visit Arkadtorget if you understand Swedish :P

Another one of my best friends is Core of Phenomena, which lost interest in Amiga before I did. We keep in touch regularly, but not as often as we used to. He's now an engineer at Sony Ericsson, developing operating systems for mobiles and handhelds.

I myself am studying my last year of Game Programming, after which I'll study two years 3D modelling and animation unless I get a job programming.

Mahoney still recognizes my voice right away when I call :) He's done a couple PC demos and released all his music and some of his demo stuff. I'm sure you all know the URL. :)

alewis 25 November 2004 00:44

I must look some up... Oddly enough, I can remember real names better than (most) scene names

There was Carl, from Silica Systems, lived down in Maidstone when I was in Chatham... last spoke to him about 3-4 years ago, after an I-dont-know-how-long gap...

Rob Hardy, who moved to Hull from Germany in the mid-90's

Gary Bews, lost contact with him after he moved from Blandford

Couple guys from Bournemouth, one who wrote the BBS s/w to challenge Ami/X

Dangermouse (Dave) who used to run The Tower BBS, moved to New Zealand in 1993/4

James, sysop of a large scene bbs that was busted.... was it an FLT bbs? One of the biggest in UK. Cant remember name

Dan, sysop of Oasis, Freeze, sysop of The Fridge (where I co-sys'd), lost contact back in the mid-90's.... heck, and a lot of guys I last met at the LSD(?) copy party somewhere up North in 1993/4