English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   request.Old Rare Games (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Cool Spot [cr pdy] crashes at disk3 (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=54496)

optimus 14 August 2010 13:59

Cool Spot [cr pdy] crashes at disk3

Hi all,

I just was playing cool spot and after level:wading around, insert disk 3 (loading level toying around) the game crashes and reset!!!
I tryed all tosec versions and my old crack but alway get to same problem
Dos someone has a working version or a prober disk 3 ????
Or is it just me :)

Thanks.....

mai 14 August 2010 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by optimus (Post 692321)
Hi all,

I just was playing cool spot and after level:wading around, insert disk 3 (loading level toying around) the game crashes and reset!!!
I tryed all tosec versions and my old crack but alway get to same problem
Dos someone has a working version or a prober disk 3 ????
Or is it just me :)

Thanks.....

WinUAE or real machine?
seems to be not a Disk3 problem!

optimus 14 August 2010 14:21

On WinUAE, after inserting disk 3 it just crash!!!

The same problem with my real A500 but its the same pdy(tosec) version

mai 14 August 2010 14:27

crc32 please!

mai 14 August 2010 15:05

Probably a bad crack, IPF works with same config.

optimus 14 August 2010 18:12

here is the crc32 of disk 3

61F2486F

chance something in winuae configuration ???

I found my old crack of the game and i have the same problem:(

mai 14 August 2010 18:26

I think its not a config problem, its rather crack related.
I wonder, why noone has mentioned it before, its a good game.
So, here my experiences:
Cool Spot (1993)(Virgin)(Disk 3 of 3)[cr PDY]
61F2486F
this is the set you used,
this is an exact copy of the IPF.
If i use cracked version disk 1 and IPF disk 2 and 3, the game crashes also after inserting and some loading of disk 3.
If i use IPF disk 1 and cracked(or probably not cracked) TOSEC ADFs disks 2 and 3 the game crashes after inserting and some loading of disk 3 too.
So i suppose its a bad crack.
Seems to be a job for Stingray or Galahad.

optimus 14 August 2010 19:11

My old crack was from DLT and it had the same problem!!

Hope someone has a working version?? and yes it's a very nice game!!
even better than the game on the ps1 :)

mai 14 August 2010 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by optimus (Post 692380)
My old crack was from DLT and it had the same problem!!

There was no other crack, the "PDY" crack is the only one.

..and i have contacted a member of this forum and asked him, if he can check Cool Spot images and yes, he will do so.

Galahad/FLT 14 August 2010 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mai (Post 692406)
There was no other crack, the "PDY" crack is the only one.

..and i have contacted a member of this forum and asked him, if he can check Cool Spot images and yes, he will do so.

Already doing so, its nearly finished

mai 15 August 2010 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT (Post 692409)

thanks, seems to be hard to crack.;)

StingRay 15 August 2010 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mai (Post 692734)
thanks, seems to be hard to crack.;)

It isn't. It's definitely a bad crack, PDY butchered the loader thus the game doesn't work correctly. Then again, PDY cracks weren't known for quality anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT (Post 692409)

Since Mai asked me to have a look at it (before you posted in this thread) I am working on it too. I'll continue to work on my version, it isn't finished yet anyway (lacks AGA/680x0 fixes and I need to code a new trainer menu etc.) so it'll probably take a while.

Galahad/FLT 15 August 2010 23:24

Then feel free to continue :)

I didn't check the PDY version, because if I wanted tips on how NOT to do something, that would be the thing to do! :)

I'm guessing they screwed up the loader with the part thats used to detect different disks, because the Copylock is ridiculously easy and not even PDY could screw that up..... could they?

But, GREMLINS 2 is mine!!! :)

dug26 15 August 2010 23:26

i remember i had a cracked version back in the day and it always crashed on the last few levels also..

StingRay 15 August 2010 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT (Post 692763)
I'm guessing they screwed up the loader with the part thats used to detect different disks, because the Copylock is ridiculously easy and not even PDY could screw that up..... could they?

That's exactly what they did. Completely disabling the "check if correct disk is inserted" part of the loader is not exactly the best idea. :) Copylock was indeed useless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT (Post 692763)
But, GREMLINS 2 is mine!!! :)

Didn't know you were working on that but I don't have any plans with that game anyway. :) Have fun with it. =)

Galahad/FLT 15 August 2010 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingRay (Post 692778)
That's exactly what they did. Completely disabling the "check if correct disk is inserted" part of the loader is not exactly the best idea. :) Copylock was indeed useless.

Didn't know you were working on that but I don't have any plans with that game anyway. :) Have fun with it. =)

Then the disk system for Cool Spot is the same as all the other Twiddy games like Aladdin then.

I'm guessing Siriax was responsible for that, a first class moron! :agree:laughing

rygar 16 August 2010 01:16

Hmmm...strange. I'm really sure that i was able to beat whole game on my A600 long time ago. Unfortunatelly i don't remember which group cracked it.

niobyte 16 August 2010 17:06

I had the same Prodigy (PDY) crack. Could never complete the game with that on a real A500 or under WinUAE. It seems the IPF image is the only way to complete it.

I honestly thought an AGA A1200/A4000 fixed re-crack would have been released by now. Hmm, always been up to Galahad or Stingray to do it right ;)

It does definitely seem to be loader related. I do recall on a few occassions the game not resetting but just trying to continuously load from disk on the loading screen. On most occassions all disk activity stopped, then reset with guru.

You would think they would have tested the custom disk loader for issues. Then again this obviously was a quick crack.

StingRay 16 August 2010 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by niobyte (Post 692946)
You would think they would have tested the custom disk loader for issues. Then again this obviously was a quick crack.

The loader itself is fine, however, "The Best!" (oh the irony...) who cracked this very game thought it is enough to just disable all "check correct disk" parameters because otherwise the game wouldn't work. Game uses a custom disk format which looks like normal Amiga DOS but has some more info, f.e. the disk number is stored. Once you create normal images of the disks that info is lost.

Apparently he was too stupid to realise that the had to patch the loader (i.e. code a completely new disk check routine).
Anyway, PDY && quality cracks = NEVER computed!

mai 16 August 2010 19:20

Even the Gamebase guys did not find any working disks of this game.
Its not included until now, so it seems really worth to create a working set.