English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.FS-UAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Questions over Serial emulation and Net-Play suggestion (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=73070)

R-TEAM 24 March 2014 17:11

Questions over Serial emulation and Net-Play suggestion

Hi,

first the question : If play over serial emulated over LAN/WAN?
(so if i have the game on 2 PC, can i play an game who is designed to play multiplayer (only 2 ;)) ) over serial in this way ? [popolous 2 as example] )

And an suggestion for Net-play : This feature is mainle her to play games who was designed to play with other players on the same amiga, play over LAN/WAN .... as an addition - it would be nice to hide an part of the screen horizontal or vertical ... by many games who play one against one - the screen is splitted - it would be nice to hide the own part from the opponent - and maybe as a side effect - reduce the emulation amount.
(The black part musst not be drawn)

Regards
R-TEAM

FrodeSolheim 24 March 2014 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-TEAM (Post 945733)
If play over serial emulated over LAN/WAN? (so if i have the game on 2 PC, can i play an game who is designed to play multiplayer (only 2 ;)) ) over serial in this way ?)

Possibly, yes (I haven't tried). It might work with Linux and OS X (no serial support in the Windows version). I'd guess it is less likely it will work over the Internet. The games might expect a certain latency (the original communication is over a local-link serial cable after all), and may not work with higher latencies caused by piping the serial data over Internet.

Only one way to find out for sure though...

Quote:

it would be nice to hide an part of the screen horizontal or vertical ... by many games who play one against one - the screen is splitted - it would be nice to hide the own part from the opponent

This would not work without game-specific hacks (how else would the system know when to obscure what parts of the screen? - remember that the screens should not be obscured at all times). So I'm not interested in this.

Quote:

- and maybe as a side effect - reduce the emulation amount. (The black part must not be drawn)

The entire state must still be emulated - just leaving out the rendering of part of the screen won't make it significantly more efficient.

R-TEAM 24 March 2014 20:02

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim (Post 945759)
This would not work without game-specific hacks (how else would the system know when to obscure what parts of the screen? - remember that the screens should not be obscured at all times). So I'm not interested in this. .....

I have more thinked with an "Black" overlay over the screen who the emulated machine dont know - adjustet by simple set the percent the screen is "blacked" for which player -> Player 1 50% Black from right - or so ..

as example for Blacking one part of the screen would be Siedler with 2 players - or BattleIsle - an simple 50% of the screen Black (for every player the oponnent side) would it make more interesting ... and switchable from the F12 menu ...

Regards
R-TEAM

FrodeSolheim 24 March 2014 20:13

Yes, I understood what you meant -and yes, it would in theory work if configured and toggled manually by the users. But you wouldn't have any guarantee that the other player also applies the overlay ;-)

R-TEAM 24 March 2014 21:55

Hi,

I see here different solutions ...
one is - the config over the black area is configured before play on the server side (maybe over an database for diff games ....) and switched on/off simultan for both players ... so after the game is ready to start, one of the 2 player aktivate the black area.If one of the 2 player switch the area off - the other player will see the aera is going off and can complain.
An other solution - one of the clients is the "master" and have the control over the black aera - if still every time the "black" on both player screens on OR off i see no problem ...(and syncing should not an problem - dont know an game with more than 2 player who make this sense - so only 2 clients involved)

Regards
R-TEAM

TCD 24 March 2014 22:20

I think Frode is trying to say that the gain from this feature is quite little and thus it's not a priority. There are many other things left to be done, so features like this which are only useful for a couple of games have a quite low rating on the todo list :)

R-TEAM 24 March 2014 22:55

Hi,

no problem :)
It was only an suggestion - and i know other things are more important.

Regards
R-TEAM