English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Reorg 3.11 ?? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=20527)

BarrySWE 25 October 2005 10:27

Reorg 3.11 ??

yes.. my 200mb partition in OS 3.9 works great with regorg but the 9gb does'nt.. canät reorg that one... is reorg 3.11 no compatible with 2gb+ ??
any other reorg/defrag program to use on big HD's?

RetroMan 25 October 2005 21:23

ReOrg works fine with everything below 4GB ! All above that should be defragmented with DiskMonTools (Aminet) ....

Else, use SFS instead of FFS, no need to defrag ever again, but if you still want to, you can use SFSs Tools for it :)

astuermer 25 October 2005 21:29

Erm, just set up my A3000 recently.
When upgrading to SFS - every data on my HD is lost, or?

RetroMan 25 October 2005 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by astuermer
Erm, just set up my A3000 recently.
When upgrading to SFS - every data on my HD is lost, or?

Jup ;)

I once updated to SFS and made it partition for partition, so i copied from DH0 to DH1, made SFS on DH0 and copied the files back ;) :D

Bamiga2002 26 October 2005 06:39

Is SFS more OS friendly/compatible than PFS3?

BarrySWE 26 October 2005 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetroMan
ReOrg works fine with everything below 4GB ! All above that should be defragmented with DiskMonTools (Aminet) ....

Else, use SFS instead of FFS, no need to defrag ever again, but if you still want to, you can use SFSs Tools for it :)

Diskmontools says my hd1: is 1.4GB , but it is 9GB ;-)

thomas 26 October 2005 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamiga2002
Is SFS more OS friendly/compatible than PFS3?

No. The only advantage of SFS over PFS3 is that it is free. Otherwise they are quite similar. Although PFS3 is said to be a little bit faster.

thomas 26 October 2005 11:11

Quote:

Diskmontools says my hd1: is 1.4GB , but it is 9GB ;-)
Well, either you shut your eyes and try it out anyway with the risk of loosing all data. Or there is obviously no program which can defragment your paritition. Write your own ;-)

BarrySWE 26 October 2005 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas
Well, either you shut your eyes and try it out anyway with the risk of loosing all data. Or there is obviously no program which can defragment your paritition. Write your own ;-)

I'm thinking of splitting it into smaller ones ;-)
only thing i have on this drive is games and it takes abut 1gb och space :)

my wotkbench is 200MB , but this 9gb partition will be 3,9 3.9 and one TEMP 1.4gb maybe :)

X-ray 26 October 2005 12:47

Split it, mate. Don't keep all your eggs in one basket. I even have another bootable HD with a duplicate Workbench in case the Cyberstorm UWSCSI gives me uphill. And another bootable barebones Workbench for my 030 card, on a CF card (works via IDE-CF adapter). Let them try to take me down now!

BarrySWE 26 October 2005 14:38

reorg messes with them anyway... nodos disk and stuff. only HD1 works, no one of the new partitions.. so i have to go back to one big partition anyway... :(
how big can wb 3.1 handle default install?

2gb?

thomas 26 October 2005 14:51

Quote:

reorg messes with them anyway
You didn't try ReOrg on any of these partitions above the 4GB border, did you ?

The 4GB border is fixed on the HDD, no matter how small or big the partitions are. ReOrg can only access the first 4GB of the HDD. If you try to write to anything outside, it will destroy data inside the first 4GB.

You should really be very careful with what you do. Better keep your fingers off all those low-level disk accesses. Run AmigaDOS and programs using files only, do not try to defrag or repair anything and do not use partitons for emulators. Your data will be pleased.

BarrySWE 26 October 2005 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas
You didn't try ReOrg on any of these partitions above the 4GB border, did you ?

The 4GB border is fixed on the HDD, no matter how small or big the partitions are. ReOrg can only access the first 4GB of the HDD. If you try to write to anything outside, it will destroy data inside the first 4GB.

You should really be very careful with what you do. Better keep your fingers off all those low-level disk accesses. Run AmigaDOS and programs using files only, do not try to defrag or repair anything and do not use partitons for emulators. Your data will be pleased.

Okey :)

i though it was 4gb max partition, not that over 4gb on the "harddrive" , better stopp messing with it.. :) at least the Workbench partition can be reorg :)

DoctorQ 26 October 2005 15:32

@BarrySWE

Install SFS instead, it have all the utilities you need, so no need for ReOrg anymore. With SFS you don't have to worry about disk needing to be validated, SFS has SFSCheck which checks the harddrive, and SFSdefrag, which defrags the partitions.

BarrySWE 26 October 2005 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorQ
@BarrySWE

Install SFS instead, it have all the utilities you need, so no need for ReOrg anymore. With SFS you don't have to worry about disk needing to be validated, SFS has SFSCheck which checks the harddrive, and SFSdefrag, which defrags the partitions.

Okey, is there any guide on this site how to changefilesystem to sfs?

DoctorQ 26 October 2005 15:46

It's all in the docs for SFS...

BarrySWE 26 October 2005 15:49

okay.. where can i find the resent "BEST" version then? :)

should i use SFS on all partition or only on the "BIG" one?

http://home.wtal.de/js/

I'm going to use this one ;-)

Now i have konverted a partition to SFS , but the SFSsalve or what it is called think it's 2gb , but it's 6gb , wb and partition magic says 6gb, WHY!?

Wopps.. my Workbench did go "BOOM" ;-)
no I'm standing here on an empty disk ;-)

so SFS is the only way to go NOW :)

SFS can't report correct size?

what is ndspatch?

The SFSSalve program reports wrong size on the HD, i SFS a Joke or what?
i have to have parttions smaller then 4gb to se corret size, but hey the program says it will support over 4gb drives?

Anybody? :)

RetroMan 26 October 2005 20:39

Well, not quite since I never had that issue and all of my Amiga HDs got SFS on it (that makes 12 I think ;)) ...

But one advice for next time : As long as noone has answered to your post, PLEASE USE THE EDIT BUTTON !!!!!

BarrySWE 26 October 2005 20:46

sfsdefrag works on the partition but sfssalve reports 600mb but the hd is 5gb

RetroMan 26 October 2005 21:03

SFSSalv reports may be a bit .... errr ..... confusing ;) It´s nearly the only tool from that package that can be considered alpha state ;)