English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Other (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Workbench disks and related license (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=39591)

Iznougoud 19 September 2008 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merlin (Post 459904)
Suppose I wanted new Workbench 2.04 disks, could I still purchase new ones and still be sure that bit rot hadn't set in?

If you bought mine, you could :laughing

Marcuz 19 September 2008 11:22

heh :) this is the only pirate community on the www who, maybe because of the medium age of its members, would like to see itself be embraced by laws... :lol

TCD 19 September 2008 11:25

Like alexh said once, I'm rather a pirate than someone who claims to only use 'abandonware' :D :laughing

Merlin 19 September 2008 15:20

Harrr!! it's Pirates Day at the Yates' Wine Lodges in the UK today, topical, eh?

LOL

_ThEcRoW 02 October 2008 17:23

If you let the update program on aforever do the thing, it will let you download all the adfs of the workbench. I downloaded all 3.1 adfs this way. You have a license to do that as already you payed for it.
:great
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit80 (Post 459742)
and in the case of AF not providing me with complete copies of all WB disks? they quite clearly advertise that this is what they will sell me...

JACK98 06 October 2008 18:44

basically,i think,the owners of amiga/workbench should release the rights,i mean they are not doing anything with the name or the workbench itself,they have fallen way behind the dominace of windows,well thats my crazy notion anyway

TCD 06 October 2008 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACK98 (Post 465559)
basically,i think,the owners of amiga/workbench should release the rights,i mean they are not doing anything with the name or the workbench itself,they have fallen way behind the dominace of windows,well thats my crazy notion anyway

Not really true, because Cloanto still sell it's Amiga Forever ;) I think as long as they do, there is little chance they make the kickstart ROMs or the Workbench disks available.

alexh 06 October 2008 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACK98 (Post 465559)
i think,the owners of amiga/workbench should release the rights,i mean they are not doing anything with the name or the workbench itself

It would cost too much and be too much of a PITA to work the legal wranglings, especially as AmigaOS almost certainly contains code licensed from 3rd parties.

OddbOd 07 October 2008 10:01

@Iznougoud: The fatal mistake you made was ignoring a portion of the copyright notice that appears in the Amiga manuals:
Quote:

The distribution and sale of these products are intended for the use of the original purchaser only. Lawful users of these programs are hereby licensed only to read the programs, from their media into memory of a computer, solely for the purpose of executing the programs.
The reason that backup copies are allowed to be made is because it is specifically permitted under the US Copyright Act (USC17 Section 117), if you do not have the original disks you do not have any legal basis to copy or download them from somewhere else.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid (Post 465570)
Not really true, because Cloanto still sell it's Amiga Forever ;) I think as long as they do, there is little chance they make the kickstart ROMs or the Workbench disks available.

Logically that has no bearing on the situation, as stated previously Cloanto are licensees not rights holders. I've always wondered whether Cloanto really do have permission from all the rights holders whose software they include with AF.

alphonsus 07 October 2008 18:22

You could always by an OS3.5 or 3.9 disk. The emergency boot folder contains a complete OS3.1 IIRC.