English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.Sprites (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Agony (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=79822)

gifgit 27 September 2015 15:16

Agony

1 Attachment(s)
Eventually got round to ripping main sprite completely plus death sprites. Took fooking ages but I`m pleased with the results. Next job : Map tiles and enemies.

gifgit 27 September 2015 17:12

1 Attachment(s)
Ok got the water so far, bloody dual playfield is a pain in the ass.:banghead
Edit: managed to bugger up colours on first go, all sorted now.:)

gifgit 27 September 2015 18:10

3 Attachment(s)
Got both playfields pretty much done and some enemies.

gifgit 27 September 2015 18:54

1 Attachment(s)
Got the boss done, thought I`d buggered up water colours again but the boss has its own water pallette.

gifgit 27 September 2015 18:57

1 Attachment(s)
Ripped background image.

gifgit 27 September 2015 20:27

3 Attachment(s)
Bird and plant and fish done.:)

Adrian Browne 28 September 2015 13:56

Nice.

gifgit 28 September 2015 15:47

Having to rip and recolour enemy sprites separately because they use different pallettes, and vary between 8 and 4 colours.

gifgit 28 September 2015 21:08

1 Attachment(s)
Still more to do but managed to recolour 3/4 1st level enemies.

ReadOnlyCat 29 September 2015 02:32

Great effort, thanks!

But man, the amount of waste in these 32x32 tiles is staggering.
Had they stored the tiles in a non-32-aligned manner they would have saved easily one third of the memory, if not half of it.

This reinforces my opinion that we are far from having seen the best of what is possible with stock Amigas, the low hanging fruit still has not been harvested. ;)

Codetapper 29 September 2015 05:58

Isn't a lot of this already on Franck Sauer's website?

gifgit 29 September 2015 15:54

Yes it is on the site but it`s incomplete, that`s what gave me the inspriration to complete it, plus some of the sprites on the site are not the same as the game ( this may be due to changes in the game design or limits of memory)

ReadOnlyCat 29 September 2015 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codetapper (Post 1043313)
Isn't a lot of this already on Franck Sauer's website?

Oh, I visited his site a few months back but did not recall if he had listed all tiles for all levels but it indeed looks like he did.

Well, I am sure gifgit learned a few things from ripping these tiles, this was not all wasted effort. ;)

Update: Oops, looks like this was not complete after all (cf gifgit post).

gifgit 29 September 2015 20:28

Having trouble with the spinning sword sprites, they`re stored as hardware sprites with the owl but are so small that they are almost impossible to rip. Is there a way to slow Winuae down so I can take screenshots to fill in the missing gfx? Any help greatly appreciated.:banghead

Edit: sorted now, dropped the framerate to 1 and used screenshots

gifgit 29 September 2015 21:22

1 Attachment(s)
Nearly done the first level.

gifgit 01 October 2015 18:51

1 Attachment(s)
Done all lvl 1 enemies plus all common gfx I could find. This is gonna take a while:banghead

gifgit 09 October 2015 11:08

1 Attachment(s)
Got the front playfield from level 2 done, having major issues with the rear playfield. The tiles seem to vary between 2 and 3 bitplanes so getting them looking correct is a pain in the arse lol.

ReadOnlyCat 09 October 2015 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by gifgit (Post 1044869)
Got the front playfield from level 2 done, having major issues with the rear playfield. The tiles seem to vary between 2 and 3 bitplanes so getting them looking correct is a pain in the arse lol.

Great effort!
It is sensible to use a variable number of bitplanes per tile (or rather set of rules tiles) in order to reduce memory consumption. But they probably should have worked on using variable tile width/height instead: the amount of blank space in these already large tiles is enough to fit the entire tileset of Turrican I and II. :D

I am joking of course but by grouping multiple tiles together they could have easily reduced memory consumption by 1/4th to 1/3rd.

gifgit 09 October 2015 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat (Post 1044909)
Great effort!
It is sensible to use a variable number of bitplanes per tile (or rather set of rules) in order to reduce memory consumption. But they probably should have worked on using variable tile width/height instead: the amount of blank space in these already large tiles is enough to fit the entire tileset of Turrican I and II. :D

I am joking of course but by grouping multiple tiles together they could have easily reduced memory consumption by 1/4th to 1/3rd.

Thanks, this only seems to be on level 2 so far ( I`ve started level 3 and the tiles seem more organised) I just want to get this game ripped properly because my very first post on the EAB was ripping the owl sprite. This was many years ago lol.

gifgit 10 October 2015 15:46

Can someone please upload the deluxe gfx ripper to the zone please, can`t find my old copy.:)