English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   CF-HDD with WHDload (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=58312)

N-Ed 17 March 2011 13:34

CF-HDD with WHDload

Hi guys and gals(?)!

Have ordered an 4GB CF IDE HARD DISK from Amigakit. As I'm just sitting here waiting for it to arrive a couple of questions come to mind. The gizmo is loaded with unregistered WHDload and some AmigaOS installer. Have procured some WHD:s that I want to put on the CF-card. How do I transfer the files to the CF-card? Can I just put the card in my CF-reader/writer, connect it to PC and drop the files that i need on the card? Can it really be that simple...? Or do I have to do some magic in WinUAE?

Cheers & beers!:bowdown

pubzombie 17 March 2011 18:49

Hej N-Ed,
I am just setting up the same hdd from amigakit -
you will either need workbench on floppies and instal it via amiga, and use a pcmcia fc to transfer files from pc - or use winuae. I installed workbench on the flascard via 1200 floppies, and the winuae method with an old ide hdd - the eab dudes helped me - here
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=58005

and here
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=58310

hope this helps,
In i diman!
pz
*edit* - what amiga are you using?

N-Ed 17 March 2011 20:39

Cool, I'll start with going through those threads!

Sorry I'm using a 1200 with Blizzard 1220/4, removed stock DD and I'm running emulated floppies on HxC Floppy emulator. Oh and KS 3.0.

"In i dimman" :laughing hehe any relations to Sweden? That's exactly what my friend says every friday :blased

pubzombie 18 March 2011 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by N-Ed (Post 743364)
Cool, I'll start with going through those threads!

Sorry I'm using a 1200 with Blizzard 1220/4, removed stock DD and I'm running emulated floppies on HxC Floppy emulator. Oh and KS 3.0.

"In i dimman" :laughing hehe any relations to Sweden? That's exactly what my friend says every friday :blased

I have some good friends in Sweden - they taught me to say that whilst we were drinking Guinness in a pub in Stokholm.
They also taught me to sing a drinking song that required large amounts of vodka to sing.
I had a hangover for 3 days :crazy

N-Ed 18 March 2011 16:14

Cool that they taught you that excellent frase:great

Yeah moderate drinking never really caught on in Sweden:spin

CF has arrived, just have to pick it up at the post office. Tomorrow I'll try to install this mother:blased Hopefully I'm not as clueless as I feel:crazy

pubzombie 18 March 2011 16:52

Just post if u need any help

N-Ed 18 March 2011 17:54

Cool, thanks alot! Now I'm just searching the net for a complete WB 3.0(or 3.1) incl Extras, fonts, storage. This so I can install the CF-Hdd.
Have got the 3.0 on disks, but since the DD is gone it's kinda hard to use those disks. Is it illegal to download 3.0 when I have the original disks? Ohh I'm not really bothered if it is, just curious!

So if anybody has a clue where I can find some adf:s, please PM me. Pretty please...

WB received... Thanks!

N-Ed 19 March 2011 09:10

Currently installing WB 3.1 on the CF-HDD, the floppy emulator really makes it easy:great Done! WHDload installed aswell.

Now to the tricky bit... How do I get my WHD:s to the CF. Hopefully I'll be able to hook the CF to my Card-reader, hook that to my PC, and then do some magic in winUAE. Any tips?:bowdown

edit: think I understand the process now. Just gonna take some time to copy it all in WB =)

fitzsteve 19 March 2011 10:15

Hi N-Ed,

As you suggest, hooking you CF up to the PC is the fastest way to transfer the WHDLoad games.

Just make sure you don't let Windoze Format the CF!

Once its hooked up, start WinUAE and add 'Hard Drive' you should see your CF in the list, add it and tick the read/write box.

Add also the directory as a virtual drive that your WHDLoad games are in and then you're in business, you can work just like it was a real Amiga and copy the files.

Of course you need to have the roms. etc setup on WinUAE and yes, you can boot from your CF in WinUAE :)

All the best.
Steve.

N-Ed 19 March 2011 12:00

Cool fitz, that is exactly what I did. And it worked like a charm. Now I'm in Amiga heaven, SWOS load times are very fast and everything is dandy. Speaking of Dandy, now I'm a gonna play some Kinks on me ol' trusty Loef guitar :D That's how happy I am! :bowdownEAB

Next thing is to buy, or procure, a key for WHDload:D

Edit: Optical mouse is the way to go, gosh it feels awesome. Thank you Amigakit!

fitzsteve 19 March 2011 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by N-Ed (Post 743714)
Cool fitz, that is exactly what I did. And it worked like a charm. Now I'm in Amiga heaven, SWOS load times are very fast and everything is dandy. Speaking of Dandy, now I'm a gonna play some Kinks on me ol' trusty Loef guitar :D That's how happy I am! :bowdownEAB

Great news, glad its all working :great

Quote:

Originally Posted by N-Ed (Post 743714)
Next thing is to buy, or procure, a key for WHDload:D

Yep - well worth investing in the Key, WHDLoad is a great project :bowdown

N-Ed 19 March 2011 12:37

Only prob now is that i don't seem to get my new scart cable to work, but I posted a question under hardware.

No I'm off to the cellar to strip a dumped pc of its cables :D

Everything working now!