English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   request.Apps (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Atari ST emulators for Amiga (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=16634)

commie1974 03 January 2005 13:18

Atari ST emulators for Amiga

Looking for Amtari v4 (or something), which was supposed to be released, at least as a demo, for AGA machines, offering HD support etc. Read about it in an AF article, asked everywhere, but no one seems to have it!
Any help?
I have managed to collect a number of ST emulators, specifically for A500, such as Chamaeleon and Amtari V2.02!
Especially Chamaeleon, seems to work well, even managed to play some games from REAL atari disks on A500!
Anyone interested, please ask and I can upload!
It is a real pity that developers did not work more on making a really good ST emulator for more powerful amigas, just think about FUSION and SHAPESHIFTER and see what a modern amiga can do... I suppose that 68030 & 040 MACs are more complex machines to emulate than a stock 68000 ST (except of the built-in MIDI circuitry)!
I've seen PaCifST for DOS, which really rocks, and it can run even on old DOS machines, without any serious hardware...
Also generally interested in ANY emulator for other system on Amiga! I Could possibly help if somebody is interested in emulating a specific machine with amiga, I have lots of such stuff, just ask!

mr_a500 03 January 2005 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by commie1974
Also generally interested in ANY emulator for other system on Amiga! I Could possibly help if somebody is interested in emulating a specific machine with amiga, I have lots of such stuff, just ask!

Sorry I don't have the ST emulator you're looking for, but you say you could help with other emulators? :) I've posted a few other threads asking for:

1. The non-demo version of A64 (3.0+)
2. A way of converting .ccc ROM Pak files to .pak for use with Dream TRS-80 emulator (or whereabouts of .pak files)
3. Help with Atari800 emulator (always crashes)

...but nobody ever posts a reply.

I don't mean to hijack your thread here, but you did say "just ask". ;) ...oh, and I AM interested in a working ST emulator.

CFou! 03 January 2005 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_a500
I AM interested in a working ST emulator.

I looking for it too

but in my memory

all st emulator can run only on 68000 cpu and crashed on 020 030 etc

it's seems st rom use special function of 68000 not existing on 020 and better cpu

so only special version of emulator can run on with better cpu

I don't know if a st emulator for 020 ot better cpu exist but I YOU FOUNT IT I WILL BE VERY INTERESTING IN THAT

commie1974 03 January 2005 19:31

Hiya!
First of all, a very good 2005 to you!!
Second, here are my answers:

a) Atari800 seems to be badly compiled in every version around the net, so it ALWAYS will crash, no matter what you do...

b) A64 SUCKS!! I didn't even think of finding the full version, it is DAMN slow and useless... Try Magic64 1.81 instead, this is the ONLY reasonably good 64 emulator which I use with my A1200/040. No other emulator will do the job for Amiga (except, perhaps, the older version of Frodo 68k which runs fast, but in a 1 bitplane mode).

c) DrEam emulator is VERY good, I personally contacted the author Sean Siford asking the same, he told me he is working on this and on a newer version which will support .dsk images etc., but no progress from him until now, he is a really busy (but nice and kind) guy!

If you only have a A500, you won't be able to emulate properly any machine, a stock 68000 is very weak for such things. You need at least 68020 to see some REAL emulation (Spectrum, Oric, QL, MSX).

commie1974 03 January 2005 19:43

68020+ ST Emulator

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFOU!
I looking for it too

but in my memory

all st emulator can run only on 68000 cpu and crashed on 020 030 etc

it's seems st rom use special function of 68000 not existing on 020 and better cpu

so only special version of emulator can run on with better cpu

I don't know if a st emulator for 020 ot better cpu exist but I YOU FOUNT IT I WILL BE VERY INTERESTING IN THAT

If you have a GFX card, you could try the freshly compiled STonAmiga, which can be found in the aminet and claims to be good :) I haven't been able to test it, since I use only AGA/ECS...

Frog 03 January 2005 20:04

it's a pity that Leonard / OXYGENE which is now developping SainT on PC never made an Amiga port as he's code some demos on Amiga in the past and on Atari before. I guess he must have a good knowledge on both computer.
I would like to see the Union and Cuddly demo and listening to the genuine ST soundchip ;)

So if you found a working ST emulator on 020+ i'd be interested too.

mr_a500 03 January 2005 21:08

@commie1974

Yes, A64 does suck for most games, but BASIC is very fast, has correct colours and a couple games like Centipede run faster than full speed on my A500 (with 68020). I use Magic64 for everything else, but it is much slower. So, I'm still looking for the non-demo A64.

commie1974 03 January 2005 22:32

Chamaeleon A500

Two ADFs are in the zone, after mr.A500's request!
Worth a try, a reaaly VERY good emulator at its time, but A500/2000 1MB with kick 1.2 or 1.3 needed ;-)
Won't run on different setup...

commie1974 14 January 2005 02:53

Any progress with Chamaeleon II, Medusa and Amtari v4, guys? Won't anybody spend some time to look for these in his dusty CD-collection?

Pyromania 14 January 2005 13:09

I think Twisten Ghost has Medusa. I last saw him with it in 1992.

commie1974 02 April 2005 19:18

Anybody from Finland, in here???
Please check out this link, it has a list with downloads for Amiga,
and there is a file "Amtardem.lha", but I can't understand
the language :(

http://www.mbnet.fi/Apaja/alueet/tie...=Name&faid=469

If you can figure out how this can be downloaded, please put it in the Zone for me..! TIA!!!
Also anyone who may have an EMULATORS UNLIMITED CD, please check this link:

http://simon.mooli.org.uk/AF/4.html

Here it says something about a DEMO Amtari version on the last part of the text, please put it in the Zone if somebody has this CD...

Chuckles 03 April 2005 04:44

I don't know that he's particularly likely to take on the role of translator, but we do have at least one Finn resident here. If you've fiddled about with WinUAE, my guess is that you've heard of him.

commie1974 03 April 2005 09:56

Fortunately, NO WinUAE, only REAL A1200 :)
Unfortunately, never heard of our finnish friend... I hope he reads the message ASAP! Amtari V4 demo has become a true nightmare for me, been searching it for loooooong!!!
BTW, I tested Chamaeleon II ST emulator and it works OK on my A500 plus with GVP A530 accelerator, it even worked on a stock (020) A1200. This is the only one that worked on such setups, but nothing special... Lousy performance and no support for modern IDE & SCSI HD controllers :( Sadly, STonAmiga & Hatari, which are supposed to be the better ones, REQUIRE a GFX card, the do not support plain AGA/ECS up to now... A real pity for all amigans, we have the brilliant SS & Fusion MAC emulators, but no serious ST equal, at all...

tomcat666 03 April 2005 19:02

Hmm, Amtari 2 and Chameleon work both fine under WinUAE, atleast the Desktop, since WinUAE doesn't take ST Emulator floppy images I couldnt test if any games work. Ah well... Medusa doesn't work whatever I do, but it works fine on a real A500. Make sure you have 2 floppies enabled and 512 kilo chip and 512 kilo slow mem present...

commie1974 04 April 2005 09:59

@tomcat666:
Yep, Medusa is rather good, but it works ONLY with the setup you mentioned here (with A2000, also)...

Swierk 19 April 2005 01:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by commie1974

I'm looking for GBUK full version:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=18303

commie1974 09 July 2005 09:47

@Swierk:
Hope you found this one, I don't have it, unfortunately!

alexh 09 July 2005 10:57

If you felt inclined you could have a go at compiling Hatari for the Amiga. It uses SDL for the gfx and I/O so a port wouldnt be too difficult.

Probably run like a dog though :)

commie1974 09 July 2005 17:30

Unfortunately, no experience at all in such procedures... And i think that this one requires RTG card! Hope that somebody able to do such a job gets interested! A pity that there isn't a good ST emulator for AGA or even ECS accelerated Amigas! Fusion and ShapeShifter kick ass with 68k MAC emulation, so why not with Atari???

prowler 29 September 2008 20:31

AmTari Demo version

Quote:

Originally Posted by commie1974 (Post 190484)
Also anyone who may have an EMULATORS UNLIMITED CD, please check this link:

http://simon.mooli.org.uk/AF/4.html

Here it says something about a DEMO Amtari version on the last part of the text, please put it in the Zone if somebody has this CD...

I have found the Demo version of the AmTari ST emulator on my Emulators Unlimited CD. :)

If you're still interested, I'll upload it to the Zone for you. (The emulator, that is, not the CD. ;))