English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   request.UAE Wishlist (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Touchscreen mouse emulation (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=52158)

Dunny 12 April 2010 12:38

Touchscreen mouse emulation

Over on the GP32X forums, I've been informed by Mr Craig Rothwell that patching an amiga emulator to use a touchscreen to control the mouse is likely impossible.

I disagree - I envisage a system that translates touchscreen coords into mouse movements (a displacement from the current mouse pointer coordinate to the new position). This would be quite easy for say, intuition, and might be a tad more involved if you're running a game, but I think it should be easy enough to do.

Any thoughts? I mean, it's not like it's impossible to detect when a game reads the mouse, is it? You just supply your values instead of the real mouse coords/delta.

In particular, Toni, what are your thoughts on this? I'm not asking for it in WinUAE, but I need to know how difficult it would be in general under emulation.

D.

Photon 12 April 2010 12:42

Well, WinUAE works already with my LCD tablet, so. I guess what is needed is to translate the Wiz pen movements to mouse coords the same way my tablet's driver does? And then it will work as a mouse. As for games, well a mouse is relative and a tablet is absolute. So defo more work. But I think pre-translating the pen input instead of patching the emulator has a better chance. Doesn't the Wiz pen already work just like a mouse?

Dunny 12 April 2010 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photon (Post 660309)
Well, WinUAE works already with my LCD tablet, so. I guess what is needed is to translate the Wiz pen movements to mouse coords the same way my tablet's driver does? And then it will work as a mouse. As for games, well a mouse is relative and a tablet is absolute. So defo more work. But I think pre-translating the pen input instead of patching the emulator has a better chance. Doesn't the Wiz pen already work just like a mouse?

No idea :) This is for the Pandora.

I've already said that games will require a case-by-case solution, but overriding the games' behaviours without necessarily modifying the game code. I'd love a version of carrier command that used the touchscreen properly... :)

D.

TCD 12 April 2010 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunny (Post 660318)
No idea :) This is for the Pandora.

Maybe this thread belongs to http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=54 then?

Dunny 12 April 2010 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid (Post 660320)
Maybe this thread belongs to http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=54 then?

Not sure if it's a problem, as such, I'm just looking to explore the possibilities of modifying one of the UAE branches for that platform.

D.

Merlin 12 April 2010 14:06

Touchscreens will still use a PS/2 protocol for the mouse movement, so I wouldn't have expected any nasty surprises with the pointer. I'm not sure about the button clicks though....

Toni Wilen 12 April 2010 14:25

There is no way to have generic game compatible absolute mouse to relative mouse conversion and I don't like game specific hacks, sorry.

System friendly software works perfectly fine with built-in "mousehack" input handler. (was external in older versions)

eLowar 12 April 2010 16:13

Why not just translate dragging to mouse movement?

I mean you can't point and click then, but I could imagine it being convenient enough once one gets used to it, and if the speed is adjustable. Kind of like a combined screen/trackpad.

Dunny 12 April 2010 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 660335)
There is no way to have generic game compatible absolute mouse to relative mouse conversion and I don't like game specific hacks, sorry.

System friendly software works perfectly fine with built-in "mousehack" input handler. (was external in older versions)

I wasn't asking you to do it - I just wanted to figure out how possible it is. If I need to modify UAE sources to do it, I'll do it myself :)

D.

s2325 27 February 2012 17:46

Is there a way to use WinUAE with NEC AS221WM monitor and Windows 7? Amiga pointer is at random position with each touch.

Mnemesi 27 February 2012 22:11

WinUAE 's pretty random with a Fujitsu P16xx series laptop's touchscreen too, sadly. I was hoping to rip some pixels using DPaint, but no, it wants to jiggle back to the lower right corner on first contact.

Toni Wilen 28 February 2012 08:07

You need Amiga-side driver for touchpads or any other absolute pointing devices, real or emulated Amiga.

Enable "Virtual mouse driver" (Checkbox in Game Ports panel). This is improved old mousehack option.

mouse emulator 13 March 2013 05:06

You can try to use a software that is named Cok Free Mouse Emulator to contorl your touchscreen.

xArtx 15 June 2013 04:56

How is the mouse position X:33 Y:210 stored in the Amiga's memory,
and why couldn't you directly change it to the touch point coordinates returned by the touch screen device
(after a coordinate translation from the native screen resolution to the Amiga's resolution)?

Is there anything preventing someone setting the Amiga mouse position directly,
causing it to instantly jump from one location to another?
I mean by altering the emulated Amiga's memory directly, not talking to it through
a UAE interface that says "please move the mouse this way".
The mouse position has to exist in memory somewhere, or it wouldn't exist.

Toni Wilen 15 June 2013 10:05

It wouldn't work. Learn how input.device and IDCMP work.

Programs don't read some memory location when they need to check mouse position, they ask the OS to send messages (nearly everything is message based) when mouse moves or if "something" happens (menu selected, window close button clicked, disk inserted, etc..) and also most programs want mouse position relative to their window's top/left edge, not absolute coordinate.

xArtx 15 June 2013 12:42

Quote:

and also most programs want mouse position relative to their window's top/left edge, not absolute coordinate.
Oh, bummer, I def wasn't pretending to know better, or I'd be making statements
rather than asking questions.
It did occur to me that the Amiga program could be receiving mouse movements
rather than coordinates, and have to process that itself, but I didn't want to
provide an answer for the question I'm asking.

Retro1234 08 November 2019 10:15

This must be possible with System friendly stuff, the mouse coordinates can be set from a Tool in Cli so it must be possible.

Daedalus 20 November 2019 15:44

Of course it is - Toni said so a few posts up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 660335)
System friendly software works perfectly fine with built-in "mousehack" input handler.

Retro1234 20 November 2019 19:09

Android UAE needs it.