English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   DOM backup/connecting on a PC advice (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89672)

ccorkin 02 December 2017 13:54

DOM backup/connecting on a PC advice

Afternoon fellow Amigians,

I recently purchased a 16Gb pre-setup DOM (Disk-on-Module) in replacement to my current CF/SD card setup for my A1200:

Ebay - 16gb DOM

This works a treat, runs quick and flawlessly. My head-scratching issue is I want to create a backup of the entire DOM device via a Raw 1:1 copy using my PC (currently using HDD Raw Copy), which I have used/done in the past with my SD/CF card - Purley for piece of mind, should I tinker beyond the point of no return..!::bash

So the DOM 16gb card is a 44pin IDE connector...I've looked around trying to see if I can get something like a 44pin Female to Female adapter. Followed by one of these SATA/IDE>USB backup devices floating around from China (if this actually would work).

My question is, has anyone managed to get a system setup in order to do this themselves or can anyone point me in the direction of hardware to do what I purpose?

All always, many thanks for any assistance in advance!!

Cheers Chris.:great

Swe_Kryten2x4b 02 January 2018 00:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccorkin (Post 1203493)

So the DOM 16gb card is a 44pin IDE connector...I've looked around trying to see if I can get something like a 44pin Female to Female adapter. Followed by one of these SATA/IDE>USB backup devices floating around from China (if this actually would work).

My question is, has anyone managed to get a system setup in order to do this themselves or can anyone point me in the direction of hardware to do what I purpose?

That should work. It looks like the adapter I used when I originally set up my dom-disk from scratch from within UAE.

Now, unless your dom-disk is different than mine (or the adapter is somewhat different) what you need to get is a small adapter with male-plugs on both ends. Like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-PAT.../dp/B003PU1EVG

But with 44-pins. They are not expensive if you manage to find one. For my disk, I had to bend one pin so it wouldn't be in the way since the pata-interface on the adapter had one of the "holes" covered but other than that it worked great.

That being said, I find it more convenient to do it all from the A1200.

That is, get yourself a 2.5" cable that allows you to attach two devices. Configure the DOM-drive to be master (if possible), and get a compact-flash adapter (and compact flash disk) that can be used as slave. I use one from amikit that gives me a compactflash opening in the rear trapdoor (you still need the adaptor above though). Alternatively, a PCMCIA compactflash-reader. When that is in place, use dd or say Diavolo backup to make regular backups from the DOM-disk to the cf-card. Works great, and as a sidebonus: if you have a cf-reader on the windows-computer it makes it far more convenient to transfer files back and forth.

Hope this helps!

idrougge 02 January 2018 11:35

Even more convenient is to do backups to a CF card in the PCMCIA slot. No need to open up the computer.

ccorkin 02 January 2018 19:58

Thanks for the the kind and generous advice...I will certainly take this on board and get some bits ordered!

Best wishes for 2018!

Swe_Kryten2x4b 02 January 2018 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrougge (Post 1209211)
Even more convenient is to do backups to a CF card in the PCMCIA slot. No need to open up the computer.

Well, yeah. That's what I meant when I said alternatively, use a a PCMCIA compact flash reader. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

That being said, in my experience the "Add a flashcard reader as a slave" works better. I have a PCMCIA cardreader as well and my A1200 refuses to even acknowledge there is a card in it. Well, prepcard sees it properly but if I try to mount it using the cfd / fat95 combo I always get "No disk present". The same compact flash card works perfectly fine if I use it as a slave on the internal IDE-interface. Granted, it is considered a fixed disk so I need to power down if I want to swap card. I don't swap card all that often so it's not a dealbreaker.

Either my PCMCIA-cardreader is a bit dodgy (delock brand) or my 1200 is more picky about things connected to the PCMCIA port than the internal IDE-interface. YMMV.