English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Games (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Ivan ''Ironman'' Stewart's Super Off Road: ending? (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89171)

Al82 26 October 2017 16:15

Ivan ''Ironman'' Stewart's Super Off Road: ending?

I've been playing through Super Offroad Racer and I wondered if anyone knows just how many races there are?

I've seen details for other versions saying 99 levels, but I didn't know if this was the same for the Amiga version?

Al82 28 October 2017 15:28

105 races won and no ending so far - conclusion is that it loops ;)

ransom1122 28 October 2017 16:08

105 races.. lol how long did that take you?

s2325 28 October 2017 16:08

at least you have now some practice :)

hipoonios 28 October 2017 16:42

Do you talk about Ivan ''Ironman'' Stewart's Super Off Road?

This is what I do when I want to know how many levels a game has:

.. Check boxarts and manuals.
.. Websites and videos (some games have conversions, so check if there are longplays for another system).
.. Use trainers (some have start level option/level skip option).
.. Check the files on disk from Workbench if is a DOS disk.
.. If not DOS disk, use a hex editor.

Al82 28 October 2017 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipoonios (Post 1195240)

Yes - for some reason I always seem to remember it as Super Off Road Racer, probably because that's how my original Amiga disk had been labelled ;)

Spent about 3 days (on and off) playing.

DamienD 29 October 2017 17:36

Heya Al82,

I hope you don't mind?

...have updated the thread title from "Super Off Road Racer: ending?" --> "Ivan ''Ironman'' Stewart's Super Off Road: ending?" just so everyone knows which game exactly you are talking about ;)

Superman 29 October 2017 18:46

If you had changed it to the game with “that” Paradox cracktro we would still know what you were talking about. ;)

DamienD 29 October 2017 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superman (Post 1195539)
If you had changed it to the game with “that” Paradox cracktro we would still know what you were talking about. ;)

ROFL :lol :lol :lol

Yup, one of my favourite cracktros of all time; just for shear shock value.

Not to mention that the music is sooooo sinister and mood setting; absolute classic!!! :agree

Discussed here: PS1 Amiga-ish intro collection by Par4d0X.

Al82 30 October 2017 02:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1195517)
I hope you don't mind?

No problem at all ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superman (Post 1195539)

Yeah, I remember that Cracktro (although I didn't remember which game it was actually from!) :D

I'll have a video uploaded of my efforts some time this week - one thing I haven't worked out is why the CPU drivers fail to activate at the start of certain races; it's either a bug in the game's code, or some feature that I just haven't cottoned on to :confused

ransom1122 30 October 2017 02:20

Is it true that if you win by a great margin the difficulty increases quicker?

Al82 30 October 2017 02:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by ransom1122 (Post 1195648)
Is it true that if you win by a great margin the difficulty increases quicker?

I read about that and I can't say for a fact that it's true, but I felt that about halfway through the game that speed and responsiveness of my truck didn't feel as sharp as when I'd first had it fully upgraded; it could have been my imagination, but it did feel that there were dark powers conspiring against me ;)

What I can say for certain is that certain tracks are much, MUCH harder to beat than others. The CPU rarely makes mistakes and their cars always seem to perform better than mine, even though it was maxed out with upgrades. Fandango and Hurricane Gulch are the most difficult by far due to the tight turns and narrow straights that make the nitro impossible to use effectively.

By comparison, Big Dukes was consistently the easiest track to win, mainly because it has wide open straights where the nitro allows you to power ahead of opponents without crashing into them. I'm pretty sure it's not my imagination that the CPU drives consistently slower on this particular track too!

Codetapper 31 October 2017 05:18

I can confirm that beating the computer players by a lot will make the game harder faster. I asked Jason Page who exactly coded the Amiga version and how the difficulty worked:
-----
Gary Foreman handled the Amiga and ST versions. And, yes, the difficulty did work that way - as did the original arcade machine!

Cheers
Jason