English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Amiga OS4 Pre-Release: who's got it? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=14516)

Amiga1992 28 July 2004 13:33

Amiga OS4 Pre-Release: who's got it?

Who's got the pre-release version of OS4? And why are you not posting any reports? :D

I want to hear how it is, come on, post your thoughts and as much info as possible!

Oscar Castillo 01 August 2004 01:41

Not one respeonse. I guess this is an omen to what the future may hold for the new OS. If no one here is the least bit interested, it's not looking good for Amiga-anything.

RetroMan 01 August 2004 01:53

Well, personally I know of three persons here in germany that allready got OS4 + various others that I only know via mail, irc or ICQ ;)

If the price for the MicroAOne will be cheaper that the AOne Mainboard, I will definitely get one :)

Amiga1992 01 August 2004 03:44

Yup, seems like not much interest. I was expecting posts from Severin and Korodny at least!

Pyromania 01 August 2004 18:08

I will be checking out an Amiga One with OS 4 this Thursday at the local Amiga Club. I will report back here my feelings about it.

Oscar Castillo 01 August 2004 18:35

Also noticed that there seems to be a renewed interest in the DE environment if you've heard the speech by the KMOS CEO. He made it clear that the desktop OS alone will not sustain them and that it's now back to the DE environment which I thought was dead judging from the lack of activity and talk about it. Now it appears to fall back on Amiga DE to generate cash to support any further development of the OS. That doesn't sound too promising.

kolorabi 02 August 2004 22:36

I guess most of the people interested in OS4 posts over here:

http://amigaworld.net/

I told a friend of mine who's got OS4 about this thread, and he tried to register for EAB to post here, but apparently the registration process didn't work with his version of Ibrowse (2.3).

I can probably post some of his impressions if there's any interest.

Amiga1992 02 August 2004 23:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar Castillo
to support any further development of the OS.

There won't be any further development of it. I think it was well stated before that this is the last straw.

Inner 03 August 2004 00:37

AmigaOS anything lives or dies on them releasing it's source in it's entirity, for there will come a day, when people will have that much of a lack of interest that Amiga (anything) will fold, the only reason it has kept alive is projects like UAE / Aros and the alike.

Lets home they release those sources, before there is absolute 0 interest.

Unknown_K 03 August 2004 00:59

If interest goes to 0 then why preserve it at all? This isnt like Commodore that went bust from a lack of cash but still had alot of customers, nobody is interested in OS 4.0 which is why it will eventualy die.

Oscar Castillo 03 August 2004 02:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknown_K
If interest goes to 0 then why preserve it at all? This isnt like Commodore that went bust from a lack of cash but still had alot of customers, nobody is interested in OS 4.0 which is why it will eventualy die.

Although it will never be as common as say Linux, or even the BSDs, but it would certainly have drawn some old timers, users as well as developers to at least keep it thriving in obscurity to those interested. Now if it weren't tied to that boat anchor - The A1.

Unknown_K 03 August 2004 02:14

Developers left the Amiga platform a long time ago, all thats left are people selling products they don't have to work on anymore and hobbyists.

Most if not all the hardware developers jumped ship a while ago, who makes new accellerators for anything Amiga these days?

Out of curiosity how many people here use OS 3.x made after Commodore went under (thats 3.5 and above)? And how many actualy have a PPC driven Amiga thats actualy used for anything?

oldpx 03 August 2004 02:34

Quote:

And how many actualy have a PPC driven Amiga thats actualy used for anything?

Not me. PPC amigas aren't good for anything if you also have a crappy ~500mhz pc around!

Oscar Castillo 03 August 2004 03:14

Quote:

Developers left the Amiga platform a long time ago, all thats left are people selling products they don't have to work on anymore and hobbyists.

Most if not all the hardware developers jumped ship a while ago, who makes new accellerators for anything Amiga these days?

Out of curiosity how many people here use OS 3.x made after Commodore went under (thats 3.5 and above)? And how many actualy have a PPC driven Amiga thats actualy used for anything?

Not mainstream developers of course, just the same hobbyist developers who were around when Amiga had a larger following. Just as the many BSD and Linux folks out there.
I've stopped using my Amigas completely, they just sit in a closet, but the idea of OS4 not tied to the A1, which I can boot at my leisure and mess with the the dev tools does have some appeal, if anything just to see how far I can take the new APIs. I wouldn't mind trying it out, just don't want to shell out that kinda cash necessary to give it a try.

Unknown_K 03 August 2004 03:22

The should have made OS4 run on PPC mac gear if they wanted it to be viable. Tying OS4 to a new hardware platform just kills both products.

kolorabi 03 August 2004 08:56

For some reason or other, EAB does not seem to be a place that is interesting for owners of PPC Amigas and similar. So I think you'll find quite a few of them, but not here.

killergorilla 03 August 2004 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolorabi
For some reason or other, EAB does not seem to be a place that is interesting for owners of PPC Amigas and similar. So I think you'll find quite a few of them, but not here.

Cos we've got too much sense. :p

oldpx 03 August 2004 11:24

:lol

Amiga1992 03 August 2004 12:48

I really would love to use OS4 in my mac but Amiga's stupid policies or whatever don't let me to, for now, until someone hacks the shit out of their new OS.

I don't even use 3.1 in my 1200, I use 3.0, and it works great.

Unknown_K 03 August 2004 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira
I really would love to use OS4 in my mac but Amiga's stupid policies or whatever don't let me to, for now, until someone hacks the shit out of their new OS.

I don't even use 3.1 in my 1200, I use 3.0, and it works great.

Well I play mostly games on my Amigas so WB 1.3 on my A2000 and WB 3.0 on my A1200 works out the best.

The older I get the less adventuresome I am with "upgrades" to my OS, instead of running after betas and being the first on the block to have the latest and greatest (with very little supporting software and even fewer drivers) I just stick with what works and only upgrade if I absolutely have to.