English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Games (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   T-zer0 - game still has code protection, needs a crack... (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=86998)

DamienD 30 April 2017 21:33

T-zer0 - game still has code protection, needs a crack...

Well that's a bit shite...

Finished the 1st level and was presented with a copy protection screen:

https://www.imageupload.co.uk/images...0/001087d6.png

If entered incorrectly (you get three attempts at different screens), the following occurs:

https://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2017/04/30/002.png

Looked on HOL at the page T-zer0 and grabbed this from the manual:

https://www.imageupload.co.uk/images...Protection.png

I'm surprise StingRay's trainer doesn't address this but really it's a trainer, not a crack :sad

StingRay 01 May 2017 00:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1155481)
I'm surprise StingRay's trainer doesn't address this but really it's a trainer, not a crack :sad

I definitely had a crack fix added in the trainer as the TRSI crack back then wasn't done properly (checksums were missed so the game would f*ck up the joystick control and some other things) but probably took it out to keep the trainer 100% legal. Not sure I still have the source, should I find it I'll create a version with the crack fix enabled and upload it here. But don't hold your breath as I did all this nearly 20 years ago.

DamienD 01 May 2017 00:57

Heya Sting,

If you could create a crack to go along with your awesome trainer then I'm sure this would be much appreciated by all :agree

...bit of a pain in the bum to have to revert back to the manual, but not the end of the world.

StingRay 01 May 2017 01:02

Just saw that you used the uncracked version, my crack fix only fixed the faulty TRSI crack so it might be possible the fix is still in the trainer but "invisible" as an uncracked executable is used.

Anyway, I'll see about creating a crack patch, should be fun to touch this game so many years later and the protection wasn't too boring at least.

DamienD 01 May 2017 01:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingRay (Post 1155522)
Just saw that you used the uncracked version, my crack fix only fixed the faulty TRSI crack so it might be possible the fix is still in the trainer but "invisible" as an uncracked executable is used.

Anyway, I'll see about creating a crack patch, should be fun to touch this game so many years later and the protection wasn't too boring at least.

Ok, didn't know there was a TRSI crack floating around. Ah, here it is...

Anyway, I'd prefer to wait for you to do it properly ;)

StingRay 01 May 2017 01:05

No idea where it can be found nowadays, back then it was available on all good boards. :)

Anyway, will create a patch in the not too distant future.

DamienD 01 May 2017 01:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingRay (Post 1155525)
Anyway, will create a patch in the not too distant future.

Thank you kindly my friend :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown

If possible, can it be integrated with the trainer into one file?

DamienD 01 May 2017 01:15

Hmmm, thought I'd test the TRSI crack anyway...

Started it before your trainer, then the game loaded, skipped the first level but still saw the code protection screen.

Not to worry, I'll wait :agree

DamienD 01 May 2017 01:49

Oh, another thing I should probably mention...

In regards to your trainer; it doesn't matter if I press [Help] to "Skip Level" or [Del] to "Skip World"; once at the world boss it just skips immediately as if you've killed it. You don't get the chance to actually engage / destroy it.

If the above could be addressed also things would be perfect :great

...of course let me know if / when you need me to test things.

StingRay 01 May 2017 01:55

The level skip works as intended (different in world or story mode) and I won't change anything regarding the trainer.

Anyway, I have found the source, here's one interesting part:

Code:

; crack fix the game
.start        REM                        ; REMOVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE!
        move.l        a0,a1
        add.l        #$45178,a1
        move.w        #$4e71,(a1)
        move.l        a0,a1
        add.l        #$45182,a1
        move.b        #$60,(a1)
        move.l        a0,a1
        add.l        #$45198,a1
        move.b        #$60,(a1)
        EREM

:D

StingRay 01 May 2017 02:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1155524)
Ok, didn't know there was a TRSI crack floating around. Ah, here it is...

Anyway, I'd prefer to wait for you to do it properly ;)

I see you've silently edited your post. What you have found is the crack intro, not the actual crack!

Retroplay 01 May 2017 02:43

Is it the crack found here at KGWHD ?
http://kg.whdownload.com/kgwhd/files.php

StingRay 01 May 2017 08:33

Had a quick look, it's a later version so the trainer will not work with it. And it hasn't been cracked properly. The checksum check is still intact which means game will destroy the joystick control and other things (IIRC "Pirate" will be written to the highscore).

DamienD 01 May 2017 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingRay (Post 1155537)
What you have found is the crack intro, not the actual crack!

I realised this and what a muppet I am last night before going to sleep :blased

StingRay 01 May 2017 12:29

I had a look at the game and created a cracked binary (manual protection and checksum checks disabled). It's attached to this post.

I've tested it but got out of memory errors after level 1, it's your task to find the reason for that, it has nothing to do with the crack, same problem happens with the unmodified game too! Have fun. :D

DamienD 01 May 2017 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingRay (Post 1155578)
I had a look at the game and created a cracked binary (manual protection and checksum checks disabled). It's attached to this post.

I've tested it but got out of memory errors after level 1, it's your task to find the reason for that, it has nothing to do with the crack, same problem happens with the unmodified game too! Have fun. :D

Oh wow!!! Thanks so much Sting :great

...I'm currently in the middle of moving house so won't be able to try until much later tonight.

DamienD 01 May 2017 14:35

...couldn't help myself, had a quick try.

Skipped past level 1 using your trainer, saw the code protection screen for a brief second and then crashed with this (which is the same screen you get when entering the code in wrong 3 times):

https://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2017/04/30/002.png

The memory message is a hoax I think and designed to throw you off...

For me this doesn't happen with the unmodified "T-zer0" file as long as you enter in the code correctly, I skipped through a lot of stages when testing :agree

StingRay 01 May 2017 15:07

I have tried with a completely unmodified binary (at least I thought so) and got the same out of memory error. However, had a look again and disabled one more check. Game should now work fine, try attached binary.

ransom1122 01 May 2017 15:07

I've test your original hdf using the hol codes at end of level 1 and it works well. Hopefully one day we see a proper crack. Also shame we can't play with cd audio because level 1 has a cracking tune. :great

DamienD 01 May 2017 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingRay (Post 1155590)
I have tried with a completely unmodified binary (at least I thought so) and got the same out of memory error. However, had a look again and disabled one more check. Game should now work fine, try attached binary.

Really appreciate all your help with this Sting :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown

Ok, getting closer. Here's what happened...

After starting the game, if I press either "[Help]" to "Skip Level" or "[Del] to "Skip World" you get the protection screen. Enter it wrong, the game doesn't crash but takes you back to the menu screen.

If you now start playing again, press either "[Help]" to "Skip Level" or "[Del] to "Skip World" it now works. No protection screen and skips on correctly.