English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Old Amiga's conversions Vs. MAME (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61764)

atchoo 08 November 2011 20:54

Old Amiga's conversions Vs. MAME

If you want to (re)play old arcade games, do you prefer the old Amiga's conversions you played many years ago (on actual Amiga or WinUAE and when they were good, obviously) or MAME?
Nostalgia or "perfection" (without a cabinet and its 15Khz monitor it's not true perfection though)?

Coagulus 08 November 2011 20:58

depends what game, Rodland would be the Miggy version for me.

And anyway, what's wrong with nostalgia AND perfection. I play the Arcade, Amiga and Megadrive versions of Golden Axe, and even others such as the Speccy version!

atchoo 08 November 2011 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coagulus (Post 784296)
what's wrong with nostalgia AND perfection.

Nothing! :)
My question is more limited though.
I assume you was playing that game, Golden Axe for example, many years ago on Amiga. If you want to play that game *now*, Amiga (= nostalgia) or MAME (= perfection)?

Thorham 08 November 2011 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by atchoo (Post 784294)
If you want to (re)play old arcade games, do you prefer the old Amiga's conversions you played many years ago (on actual Amiga or WinUAE and when they were good, obviously) or MAME?
Nostalgia or "perfection" (without a cabinet and its 15Khz monitor it's not true perfection though)?

Since nostalgia isn't important to me, it basically boils down to the quality of a conversion. If it's arcade perfect, such as Pang, I'll play it on my Amiga, if not, I would use Mame (which I don't do, because my peecee is a sub gigahertz Pentium 3 and I haven't had any good Mame experiences at all because of it).

Bloodwych 08 November 2011 22:01

Arcade game conversions weren't the best bunch in general for the 'miggy, so MAME most the time. As a kid, I so wanted some of those Arcades in my bedroom and that kind of stays with me today.

As mentioned above, there are a few exceptions - like Silkworm!

deicidal 09 November 2011 10:28

As a rule I prefer to play the original which of course is the arcade version but sometimes the Amiga version was better Midnight Resitance been one of them.

LuMan 10 November 2011 10:23

Interesting question, atchoo.

For me, nostalgia does add to the overall gaming experience so, in some cases, I'll deliberately play a game on my Miggy (or other computer/console) even though the arcade version is better. California Games on the Lynx is a prime example of this. Oddly, I also prefer the Miggy version of R-Type to the arcade version....

Having said that, Hard Drivin' (for example) is better under MAME than any other 'home' version (in my opinion), so I'll generally only play that in MAME, except for those odd times when I want to smile at the Gameboy version ;)

But like you mentioned, for true realism you need a cab - particularly for Hard Drivin', S.T.U.N Runner and Return Of The Jedi :D

P-J 10 November 2011 11:50

For me it tends to be whichever I played first, arcade or Amiga.

Although it is nice to finally play the arcade version of games that I had on the Amiga and couldn't play at the arcades at the time. Or I didn't realise it was actually an arcade conversion, as in a lot of cases.

TCD 10 November 2011 13:07

For me part of the fun is to discover the differences. Since I really like MOD music, I can 'forgive' small shortcomings in an Amiga conversion if the music is great. As others have mentioned, you should try both (or even more versions) and decide for yourself (that's the nice bit about emulation ;)).

stevsurv 11 November 2011 02:16

Some of the Amiga versions were better, like Silkworm had superior graphics and sound to Mame/Arcade versions. Was kinda disapointed with the mame version.

Operation Wolf was better sound/music wise and was different in gameplay too. I remember playing a lot of the games on Arcade machines first then wanted and played them on the Amy.

Still theres nostalgia for both systems! ;)

laffer 11 November 2011 04:43

MAME most of the time, except with brilliant ports such as Pang! and Silkworm.

Bamiga2002 11 November 2011 14:49

Maybe offtopic but I'd really like to see Legend Of Hero Tonma conversion made on Natami!

spiff 11 November 2011 15:49

Echoes what I said in the perfect arcade conversion thread:

Always mame. (Almost) All of the conversions are worse, 25fps vs 60, and they load slower, miss 2p support etc.
Apart from the music of silkwom, how is it better on the amiga? Less playfield, less colours, slower updates

I do prefer to listen so some amiga mod versions of the arcade (Chase HQ).
Amiga is flashback, gods, lemmings, Civ or IK+ for me.. the "main platform games"

s2325 11 November 2011 15:52

no word about Rolling Thunder?

Bamiga2002 11 November 2011 16:16

Silkworm is IMO in fact better on Amiga than on arcade, you can see more on-screen on Amiga. And ofcourse the nostalgia...

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2325 (Post 784813)

You mean the game where there are fags with bags on their heads? :laughing

spiff 11 November 2011 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 (Post 784817)
Silkworm is IMO in fact better on Amiga than on arcade, you can see more on-screen on Amiga. And ofcourse the nostalgia...

Vertical vs horizontal space and sprite size... but you do have a valid point. Amiga | Mame 1 - 4982

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2325 (Post 784813)

Is that the american name of super street figher cd32?

atchoo 11 November 2011 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 (Post 784817)

Amiga's Silkworm is a great game, but it's not a great conversion*! Luckily! :D

* it's a shame Random Access/The Sales Curve wasn't working on best arcade's conversions (except Rod-Land)...

Peter 11 November 2011 18:01

Crack Down was good on three systems imho... good on arcade/mame - mega drive and Amiga... really tough game though!

spiff 11 November 2011 18:50

I miss the 90s

Looks good in the screenshot box...

http://s7.postimage.org/nujmyo6rf/80s_Arcade.jpg
image hosting png

jeff b00toNic 17 November 2011 18:41

Depends on which game it is. For me the best coinup conversion is PANG!
and good ones are Silkworm, Rodland, Dragon Ninja and Double Dragon 3.

Forgot to mention Final Fight which I played first on Arcade and later on Amiga.
I kinda liked the conversion because I was proud of my Amiga heaving such a great Arcade game.
Even if it wasn't perfect except some graphics and the walk animation of the characters.