English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Amiga Developer Conference 1990, 1991, 1993 PDF? (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=72093)

jman 05 January 2014 12:58

Amiga Developer Conference 1990, 1991, 1993 PDF?
 
Hello,

I'm in contact with a friend that has found a paper copy of the three (1990, 1991, 1993) Amiga Developer Conference ring-binders mentioned in the post title.

I'd like to know whether these big books are available as PDF too, for preservation purposes.

After a quick search, I've found that the 1993 edition is available as PDF and the disks should be available as part of the Amiga Developer CD 2.1 currently being sold by AmigaKit and Vesalia.

Can anyone help me?

(mods please move this thread to the most relevant EAB section)

Thanks

mark_k 05 January 2014 13:37

I'd like to know that too. Some material which appeared in some of the devcon binders is available as part of the Haynie Archive; the Zorro III specification for example. The PDFs there were created from the original (PageStream?) documents as opposed to being scanned from paper. But there will no doubt be a lot which isn't there.

There are also the Amiga Mail binders. Are any PDF versions of those available? And Amiga Mail Market, covering non-technical aspects of the software business? If anyone feels like donating a scanner with auto-sheet feeder... :)

Leffmann 05 January 2014 13:54

IADC 1993 is available as PDF here if anyone needs it:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1993_notes.pdf

It's in pretty poor quality. The prose is legible, but most of the code examples are not. If there's a higher quality PDF available somewhere I'd very much like a copy of it.

jman 05 January 2014 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leffmann (Post 931239)
IADC 1993 is available as PDF here if anyone needs it:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1993_notes.pdf

It's in pretty poor quality. The prose is legible, but most of the code examples are not. If there's a higher quality PDF available somewhere I'd very much like a copy of it.

That PDF is pretty much the same I can find on other sites (archive.org, bombjack to name a few) so I assume it's the only digital copy around.

By the way I agree that it is barely readable but after some page flipping I didn't find parts with quality that awful, could you point me to some pages that you can't read at all?

Anyway, in case the other books are not available as PDF, an extra effort could be made to re-scan that too, the additional effort would be trivial (also because those books are ring-binded, it's very easy to pass them on to a automatic feeding scanner).

bubbob42 05 January 2014 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman (Post 931241)
Anyway, in case the other books are not available as PDF, an extra effort could be made to re-scan that too, the additional effort would be trivial (also because those books are ring-binded, it's very easy to pass them on to a automatic feeding scanner).

Your effort will much appreciated! :great

kamelito 05 January 2014 16:49

They're maybe part of the Amiga Developer CD 1.1 or the 1.2 ?
Kamelito

Leffmann 05 January 2014 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman (Post 931241)
By the way I agree that it is barely readable but after some page flipping I didn't find parts with quality that awful, could you point me to some pages that you can't read at all?

Pages 41 and 42 f.ex., two pages of code turned on their side and down-sized to fit on a single page. There are several of these throughout the PDF, and you can read the code, but it's much worse than the rest. Ideally these would be scanned and inserted as separate full-sized pages.

jman 05 January 2014 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamelito (Post 931262)
They're maybe part of the Amiga Developer CD 1.1 or the 1.2 ?

Good idea.

I've investigated a bit but all I could understand is that the CDs contains the floppies, NDK and so on but no trace of the volumes.

Example: Amiga Devcon CD 1.2 - 1998 version

No info on the "Amiga Devcon CD 1.1", though.

Any pointer will be much appreciated.

kamelito 05 January 2014 21:09

As I see you're from Italy. Better ask to Michele Battiliana from Cloanto as he attended some (all?) of the Devcon. As you know he's italian too :)
Kamelito

mark_k 05 January 2014 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman (Post 931273)
I've investigated a bit but all I could understand is that the CDs contains the floppies, NDK and so on but no trace of the volumes.

That's right. Commodore's CATS Developer CD 2.0 doesn't contain any devcon notes either. Back in the day it was probably not practical to include PostScript files since they would have been extremely large and people without PostScript printers would have had trouble viewing them.

(Though at least the Amiga developer CD 1.2 contains some of the later Amiga Mail issues in PostScript and PageStream format, in addition to AmigaGuide.)

Minuous 06 January 2014 06:29

IIRC the ADCD V2.1 is a superset of the older versions, ie. it contains everything the older versions did. Therefore no point in trying to hunt down an old ADCD.

The DevCon notes for 1990 and 1991 are something I have been searching for for many years, it would be great if they became available...

jman 17 September 2014 02:10

Hello everyone,

here I am finally with some updates: the project has started!

This summer I've received the first tome to scan, the Amiga Developer Conference 1990, it's a ring-binded hefty book of about 800 pages.

I'm still working on optimizing the workflow before scanning the whole book, in the meanwhile I've uploaded in the Zone a "beta" of the first two chapters (there's still some cleaning to be done).

Also have a look at the Appendice of the Zorro III specifications, it's hilarious.

Enjoy!

bubbob42 17 September 2014 08:13

Thanks, your work is really appreciated!

thellier 17 September 2014 09:57

Hello
I have two .adf called
Euro-DevCon90.1
Euro-DevCon90.2
From my best friend that was at the DevCon at Paris

But I suppose you already have them ?

Alain Thellier

jman 17 September 2014 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by thellier (Post 976281)
Hello
I have two .adf called
Euro-DevCon90.1
Euro-DevCon90.2
From my best friend that was at the DevCon at Paris

But I suppose you already have them ?

Alain Thellier


Bonjour Alain,

no, I don't have those ADFs at all.

Could you please upload them to the Zone? They could be very useful (the tome I'm scanning appears to be incomplete).

Merci bcp!

thellier 17 September 2014 14:08

Hello
Here it is all I have related to 1990 DevCon at Paris including the 1.4 disks
http://thellier.free.fr/EuroDevcon1990.7z

Alain

jman 17 September 2014 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by thellier (Post 976302)
Hello
Here it is all I have related to 1990 DevCon at Paris including the 1.4 disks
http://thellier.free.fr/EuroDevcon1990.7z

Alain

Checked the ADFs. They contain code samples, autodocs, includes but not the paper documentation provided to the attendees.

Thanks anyway, these floppies are the companion for the book.

EDIT: I think in those times big tech documentation was still stuck to paper, Autodocs at most for the Amiga platform.

Tumo007 18 September 2014 17:08

Thank you Jman for starting this project! That's a lot of useful information in this document. I'm eager to see the SCSI section of this doc. (I'm still working on my scsi.device disassembly) Do yo plan to OCR the doc for fast searches?

jman 18 September 2014 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tumo007 (Post 976487)
Thank you Jman for starting this project! That's a lot of useful information in this document. I'm eager to see the SCSI section of this doc. (I'm still working on my scsi.device disassembly) Do yo plan to OCR the doc for fast searches?

Tonight I'll quickly scan the SCSI section, so you'll have it immediately :-)
Concerning the search: yes, these PDFs will be searchable images.

The only problem with the OCR is while some mispelled words can be fixed (when marked as "suspects"), others cannot because Adobe is too self-confident. Example "vcc" sometimes is reported as "vee" and I must live with that.

jman 01 October 2014 13:08

The final version of the PDF has been published on bombjack.org:
http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/am...odore/?C=M;O=D

Enjoy and spread the love!


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:49.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.04719 seconds with 11 queries