English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The definite guide to using a button instead of UP for jumping in WinUAE (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=45424)

Hobbe 14 June 2009 06:17

The definite guide to using a button instead of UP for jumping in WinUAE

Exactly what the title states, no more, no less. Answer first, ask later, thanks :D

TCD 14 June 2009 08:05

Er... okay...
I guess you want to create a 'default.uae' configuration in which you select a different gamepad/joystick and save that. Now WinUAE would use that one instead of the one you want to ignore.
Maybe you should really explain what is going on at your side a bit more :D

Hobbe 14 June 2009 08:32

Not even close :D

Here's the deal. A lot of platformers out there do not allow you to set buttons for jumping, and to the best of my knowledge, you can't force this from WinUAE either.

I use a nice application called Xpadder for assigning keyboard keys to the buttons, analog sticks and pov's in my gamepad.

Ideally one would select a keyboard layout from "Game ports" and set up Xpadder for the chosen set of keys, but Port 1 automatically switches back to gamepad mode as soon as a button is pressed and I can't seem to keep WinUAE from doing so.

Maybe I'm just picky, but a gamepad isn't a joystick, jumping with your thumb is most uncomfortable :help

TCD 14 June 2009 08:56

I see... ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobbe (Post 559704)
Here's the deal. A lot of platformers out there do not allow you to set buttons for jumping, and to the best of my knowledge, you can't force this from WinUAE either.

Of course there is :D The input panel allows you to map any input source to any emulated action. So you can easily map you gamepad button to 'Joy2 up' as an example ;) Go to the inout panel, choose 'Configuration #1' and your gamepad. Now comes the 'bit tricky' part ;) Set 'Y axis' to none, scroll down, assign 'Y Axis [+]' to 'Joy1 down' and your button to 'Joy1 up' (maybe you need to choose Joy2). Not tested here yet, but would if you really can't get it to work.

Edit : Correct the Y Axis mapping thanks to Hobbe.

Hobbe 14 June 2009 09:56

F..k me it works, thanks a bunch :D and how could I possibly overlook this for so long? :banghead

Also, "Joy1 Down" has to be set for "Y Axis [+]" not "Y Axis [-]" just thought I'd mention that for anyone who may experience this problem in the future :)

TCD 14 June 2009 09:58

Yippie :D Wasn't too sure about the [+] or [-] part, but good to hear it works now :)

Edit : Maybe this thread should be renamed. Something like 'The definite guide to using a button instead of up for jumping in WinUAE' :D

Hobbe 14 June 2009 10:18

Done :) but for some reason it added a sort of subtitle instead of changing the actual title that people will read outside the thread.

TCD 14 June 2009 10:20

Cheers Hobbe :great We need a mod to change the thread title. Let's see if it will be changed ;)

andreas 14 June 2009 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobbe (Post 559719)
F..k me it works, thanks a bunch :D and how could I possibly overlook this for so long? :banghead

Possibly because it's by far not as self-explanatory as it looks.
Thanks TCD, I too have never fiddled with this ever, because I just didn't find the time to actually delve into...and no, I wasn't too keen on "trial & error". (Think about MISCONFIGURING this and your game character running amok!! That's why I've preferred to leave it in standard setting...)

TCD 14 June 2009 11:33

Well, I never did this myself yet tbh ;) It's just knowing what the input panel is capable of and looking up the right mapping (almost :p) for the wanted effect. It's not as complicated as it looks, once you know how it works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreas (Post 559754)
(Think about MISCONFIGURING this and your game character running amok!! That's why I've preferred to leave it in standard setting...)

OMG! You actually might have to restart the game :shocked :D (sorry, couldn't resist ;))

Photon 18 June 2009 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobbe (Post 559704)
Not even close :D

I use a nice application called Xpadder for assigning keyboard keys to the buttons, analog sticks and pov's in my gamepad.

Ideally one would select a keyboard layout from "Game ports" and set up Xpadder for the chosen set of keys, but Port 1 automatically switches back to gamepad mode as soon as a button is pressed and I can't seem to keep WinUAE from doing so.

Maybe I'm just picky, but a gamepad isn't a joystick, jumping with your thumb is most uncomfortable :help

Up as jump is :nuts

So you're not picky, you're sane.

TCD 18 June 2009 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photon (Post 561767)
Up as jump is :nuts

Blasphemy! Burn the witch! :cheese

Retro-Nerd 18 June 2009 16:57

Well, d-pad UP is indeed :nuts.

:)

Photon 18 June 2009 19:58

Well, the reason was ofc that most computers didn't have two fire button inputs (MSX, Amiga etc are exceptions) - so joystick makers, with a few exceptions, made single firebutton joysticks ONLY. Sometimes the suckers had two buttons on the base, one index finger trigger, and one thumb button, all connected to the same fire button!! Not just mad, but silly mad. :nuts

That was then, this is now. Solder a button to the up direction on your joystick, or do the same in WinUAE, and have fun :)

Up as jump is "kind of" logical (even though using UP to climb ladders ONLY is more logical, and using UP to open doors is less logical!), however timing jumps are a mofo on all joysticks. Well, a jump button is also logical, and makes all platformers what they 'wannabe' - Super Mario. :)

Hungry Horace 18 June 2009 21:28

i hate platformers like Mario, and still love using up to jump in the platformers i do like.

However, i also believe in freedom of choice, and I wouldnt call anyone who prefer's either method insane :nuts ... its just what the player prefers and feels they have more control with.

In my case, i dont like having to move my right thumb to another position that should be firing, when a flick of the left-thumb i find easier.

Giving everyone a choice either way, either by using an emulator, or by adding the required patch via WHDload, is surely the future.

lets get over the judgement thing on this. There is no right or wrong way. Just opinion and preference.