English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   OT - Technical (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   SMS Apps Question (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=100537)

jmmijo 22 January 2020 02:24

SMS Apps Question

So are there any free apps out there that support SMS text messaging or do these *ALL* require a real phone to work properly ?

Comcast is going to shut down the TEXT messaging service soon and this still supported SMS messaging.

I guess I'm really a ludite but I really don't want nor need a smart phone.

My tablet is just fine thank you very much :spin

Any advice or tips would be appreciated, thanks.

gimbal 22 January 2020 19:52

This old geezer rebellion nonsense is getting old itself dude, if you don't cut it out I'm flying over to beat you with a broomstick. You buy a new computer every year, now get a tiny pc for your pocket. All you need is a cheap Samsung Galaxy A10 and then you can phone, SMS and run 2nd factor authentication apps like Steamguard.

You can even be edgy and install Telegram instead of Whatsapp. We're all secretly doing it.

malko 22 January 2020 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimbal (Post 1373670)
[...] You can even be edgy and install Telegram instead of Whatsapp. We're all secretly doing it.

You can even install Threema ( https://threema.ch/en ) . Nothing is best than CH security & privacy law :D

jmmijo 23 January 2020 01:42

THanks for the feedback :)

Hewitson 23 January 2020 04:34

How can anyone in this day and age possibly get through life without a mobile phone? My work would be impossible without it, I'd sit at home all day earning nothing.

jmmijo 23 January 2020 05:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewitson (Post 1373760)
How can anyone in this day and age possibly get through life without a mobile phone? My work would be impossible without it, I'd sit at home all day earning nothing.

AH, because I work from home and my employer sent me a VOIP phone along with some old work station.

Besides I'm not in management so I really don't need one.

I could see having it if I needed underlings to manage ;)

Besides I see what my father has to put up with on his mobile device :(

I say more power to you folks that have one, I just don't see the need for another freaking contract to put up with.

Now of course something may change that would prompt me to look into a smartphone but not yet.

Hewitson 23 January 2020 10:25

No need to go on a contract. Go on pre-paid, I get 45 GB data and unlimited calls and texts for $30 AUD a month.

Shoonay 23 January 2020 10:55

You guys are paying how much? :shocked

I got a prepaid for ~200PLN last January (2019), it included 80GB's of internetz (still got 53GB's), valid for 6 months but thanks to an official time extension SMS trick (well, it's not a trick but not many people know about it) am still using it, and haven't payed a single grosz since. Doing all of my interactions through messenger/discord/email (and where there's wifi :D), sometimes SMS, very few times calling.

https://i.imgur.com/doGrTGN.jpg

Daedalus 23 January 2020 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewitson (Post 1373760)

Maybe because not everybody has your exact job? I'm sure you can understand that. For the vast majority of people, it's a convenience rather than a necessity. I have a mobile phone, and while it's very useful and I use it all the time, it's not at all necessary for my job. And on occasions when a mobile phone would be necessary (travelling, visiting clients etc.), the company gives me a pool phone.

Hewitson 24 January 2020 02:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 1373824)
Maybe because not everybody has your exact job? I'm sure you can understand that.

Obviously. But I don't see how anyone could do any sort of work without one. You need to be contactable and to be able to contact others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus
For the vast majority of people, it's a convenience rather than a necessity.

Nope. For most people a phone is an absolute necessity.

jmmijo 24 January 2020 05:28

Well my VOIP phone is just another extension on the company lists of phones.

I can be contacted at any time on it and I can call out to the customers I have to support.

If I were in SALES or MANAGEMENT then I could see needing one ;)

gimbal 24 January 2020 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 1373824)
Maybe because not everybody has your exact job? I'm sure you can understand that. For the vast majority of people, it's a convenience rather than a necessity.

Not really, I'm being forced to use the phone to do 2nd factor stuff more and more often. Even the tax office is switching over to an app to sign the tax submission. Right now it's optional, the optional part usually lasts around 2 years. I give it another 5 years and you can't live without one anymore in the Netherlands, I can't imagine that will differ from the rest of the world.

Anubis 24 January 2020 14:15

MetroPCS gives by far best offers for bucks.

Most expensive (unlimited data, text, phone) is 60 bucks a month and it includes Amazon Prime membership (13 bucks a month), 100GB google drive storage (another couple of bucks) and free Galaxy A20 phone (better than A10), using T-Mobile network.

There are cheaper options, but I was not looking @ them since I have 2 kids and they don't get what limited data mean. :)

4 phones for 120 bucks. (30 bucks a phone)