English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   New ADF Handling Tool (based on ADF-Blitzer) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=85865)

Daedalus 05 February 2017 20:57

New ADF Handling Tool (based on ADF-Blitzer)

Hi all,
I've just uploaded a new tool for handling ADF images, based on the source code of the excellent ADF-Blitzer. I have renamed the tool to ADFer to avoid confusion with the original ADF-Blitzer 2.20, which is still available on Aminet. ADFer updates ADF-Blitzer with a number of new features and fixes, such as:
  • Progress bar and cancel button
  • Multi-disk writing
  • Reworked GUI to fix some minor issues
  • Completely rewritten core to use only OS calls for memory and device access
  • Fast RAM is no longer required
  • Eliminated issues with ADFs stored in the Ram Disk
  • Ability to read and write RAD: disks
  • Option to verify disks after writing
  • Better font sensitivity - uses Workbench screen font
  • Low memory mode (no need to load entire ADF into memory), so works in 0.5MB

ADFer has been tested and works on any Amiga with OS2, a 68000 and 0.5MB RAM. ~300KB of free RAM are required in low memory mode.

ADFer 1.1 is currently in the upload queue on Aminet, and also available from my website. This fixes some issues I introduced with the ADF-Blitzer 3.0 release, such as problems writing some floppies and 68020 dependency.

Thank you to Andreas Etzrodt for his work on the original ADF-Blitzer and his source, and to AMIGASYSTEM and indigolemon for their betatesting and feedback.

AlfaRomeo 06 February 2017 01:46

Hi Daedalus,
great software, thanks for share :great

AMIGASYSTEM 06 February 2017 09:19

Great software !

http://eab.abime.net/attachment.php?...1&d=1486369082

indigolemon 06 February 2017 10:50

Yep, working great for me too. Managed to get all the disks I need to poke the A2000's hd controller ready to go :D

Etze 06 February 2017 20:28

Love it! Great work!

Daedalus 06 February 2017 21:55

Thanks guys, means a lot to me :)

Magic 06 February 2017 22:24

That's great! Thanks

B14ck W01f 07 February 2017 02:49

Can it split ADFs into multiple files?

Daedalus 07 February 2017 09:47

Nope, I'm afraid not, though that's an interesting idea for a future update...

Reido 07 February 2017 15:16

Nice work man!

Cylon 07 February 2017 22:22

Daedalus, there is a bug and one minor mishap:
Once you've cancelled reading Disk to an adf-file, the File keeps persisting with 0Bytes and stays 'in use', so you cannot create another one with the same filename.
While trying todo so, your error msg pops up with remains of AB3-Compilerdirectives ('\\this_function...').
Nothing more to report. I'm glad you fixed the weird gadgets with fake text.
;)

Daedalus 08 February 2017 00:05

Ugh... Well spotted Cylon, I'll get right on it. Thanks!

Pat the Cat 08 February 2017 06:49

Nontheless, Nice work Daedalus. :great I've seen the odd PC commercial package that had a similar bug (pressing cancel did not abort the file creation). It's not like you're the only one. :)

Daedalus 11 February 2017 00:13

Okay, version 1.2 of ADFer is in the Aminet upload queue and available from my website as above. It fixes the issue where file locks weren't released if the ADF creation wasn't completed for any reason. In these cases it now also deleted the partial file. I've also tweaked the GUI spacing so the descenders don't touch the border with some tall fonts.

Sorry about that :)

DamienD 11 February 2017 00:44

No need to apologise Daedalus, great work with this and also for fixing any issues reported as soon as you possibly could... Nobody can ask for anything more :great

Amiga4000 11 February 2017 00:48

@Daedalus...

Holy Schnykies! So, you're "Rob the Nerd"!!!! :shocked Been following your site for YEEEEARS! I'm a lifer!

Love your site, love your programs & love the humor!!! :)

Daedalus 11 February 2017 01:01

@DamienD
Thanks!

@Amiga4000
Haha, that's me indeed! Glad you like it :) Didn't know I had such dedicated fans :p

michaelz 11 February 2017 09:26

It looks Good. I'll give it a try as soon as I go writing adf's again :)

I also went browsing through your website and got the message that the article of ExtractHere is not available yet when I click "read more"

liviux76 11 February 2017 09:42

Great job!
I haven't tried it yet but it looks awesome! :great
Thanks!!!

Daedalus 11 February 2017 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelz (Post 1140145)
It looks Good. I'll give it a try as soon as I go writing adf's again :)

I also went browsing through your website and got the message that the article of ExtractHere is not available yet when I click "read more"

Thanks very much. I was rearranging some items in the database and that one slipped through the net. Fixed now :)