English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How to make a Linux/UAE System (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=64407)

Leandro Jardim 22 May 2012 20:58

How to make a Linux/UAE System

Hi, I have seen some packages that boot Linux directly into UAE, and are installed in CDs and USB sticks, and I am thinking to do the same for my USB stick but with my own hard-file. This way I dont need Windows anymore in my HD to play with it (I dont will throw Windows out, it is useful yet).

I dont know if this is a easy thing to do, or if there is any ready-made cd/usb installable distribution to me hack into it (Knoppix?)...

Anybody can say to me how its done, where are the bits and pieces that I would need? There is a guide on the net about how to make it?

I have some experience with Linux from 2000 when I installed it on my computer, and compiled the kernel, but I dont know what has changed since then. Since that time I didnt used it anymore.

For example, at that time, the framebuffer was slow and unstable, and I could not use X-Window with it, but and now? UAE can run on the framebuffer directly or need to be used with an X-Server? What is the best option for size/performance/compatibility?

Is there a simple way to copy the contents of the Knoppix distribution to a USB stick with 4 GB, without the need to burn a dvd of it first?

There are so many questions, I know, but somebody can help me? ;)

gilgamesh 23 May 2012 10:28

I've never tried this, but here is what I think should work.

Get a Knoppix CD and boot it.
Use the tool flash-knoppix to install the system on a stick. That system will be persistent (changes will stick).
Boot from the stick.
Install the uae flavor, Kickstarts and games of your choice.
Configure uae config file.
You can put a line "uae &" into the .xinitrc in the standard user's home folder. UAE will be started automatically.

The problem is that fs-uae and plain uae can't be configured with popup dialogs atm. If you want to start it in full screen mode you will need e-uae or p-uae.

FrodeSolheim 23 May 2012 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilgamesh (Post 819721)
The problem is that fs-uae and plain uae can't be configured with popup dialogs atm. If you want to start it in full screen mode you will need e-uae or p-uae.

I did not understand what you meant here. I don't know of any problems starting FS-UAE in full screen mode :)

gilgamesh 23 May 2012 10:59

Don't get me wrong, fs-uae is really great. :)

But you can't do configuration inside the gui atm. (Do you remember my question about this?) Therefore you can't use your PC as an Amiga media center with fs-uae where you can entirely skip the whole Linux stuff and boot directly into the emulator. You still need to edit configuration files. p-uae and e-uae have a mask where you can select Kickstart version and such without ever leaving the program, just like WinUAE.

FrodeSolheim 23 May 2012 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilgamesh (Post 819725)
Don't get me wrong, fs-uae is really great. :)

But you can't do configuration inside the gui atm. (Do you remember my question about this?) Therefore you can't use your PC as an Amiga media center with fs-uae where you can entirely skip the whole Linux stuff and boot directly into the emulator. You still need to edit configuration files. p-uae and e-uae have a mask where you can select Kickstart version and such without ever leaving the program, just like WinUAE.

OK, I understand what you meant know :) -I thought there was some link with the "popup dialog" sentence and the one about fullscreen. (I.e. you cannot start in fullscreen because...). But anyway, starting also FS-UAE in fullscreen should be unproblematic.

But yes, you are correct about the configuration thing, you would rather have to boot to a launcher if you want to change settings such as Amiga model or kickstart. Of course, there is the new launcher (development version, in progress), and G-FS-UAE. So you could start one of those instead...

If you want to start the Amiga automatically with a default configuration, and still have the possibility to make hardware adjustments, you could start:
Code:

fs-uae
<launcher>

So when you quit FS-UAE, Linux starts the launcher (of your choice), and you can from that one re-configure and start FS-UAE again. Not saying this is the perfect solution, but it would work more or less like opening a popup dialog in (other)UAE and resetting the Amiga.

gilgamesh 23 May 2012 11:20

I see. Very UNIXish solution. ;)

tero 23 May 2012 12:20

i would just copy the live system from the amiga forever dvd
mount and unpack 'knoppix' file
change contents to my needs and repack file
mkisofs and done. :)

i don't remember everything (did this for a knoppix cd) but:
- Mount the compressed KNOPPIX file.
insmod cloop file=home/KNOPPIX
mount -o ro /dev/cloop compressed/
- Copy the knoppix source to your working directory
mkdir source
cp -Rupv compressed/* source/
- Umount the compressed KNOPPIX image
umount /dev/cloop

iirc you need a prog to repack knoppix file, which i can't remember.
maybe someone know better

synchro 23 May 2012 22:31

Im a windows user and all that sounds a bit um ...different ...So for me i think out of the box for this sort of thing.

But in laymans terms as amiga forever boots to workbench from the DVD drive even without a HDD....Wouldnt it be possible to just copy that to a HDD and boot from that ?

I know many hate Amiga Forever but for a quick easy setup is it possible maybe ?

Or of course download the free Commodore OS and run it from that ...It aint half bad for a freebie !!

prowler 23 May 2012 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by synchro (Post 819823)
But in laymans terms as amiga forever boots to workbench from the DVD drive even without a HDD....Wouldnt it be possible to just copy that to a HDD and boot from that ?

I know many hate Amiga Forever but for a quick easy setup is it possible maybe ?

Sure, http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=63922

but it's not without its problems. ;)

synchro 23 May 2012 23:11

OOOKAY...Not quite as easy as i thought :guru
But possible so i wasnt to far off ;)

clauddio 24 May 2012 04:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by synchro (Post 819823)
Im a windows user and all that sounds a bit um ...different ...So for me i think out of the box for this sort of thing.

Or of course download the free Commodore OS and run it from that ...It aint half bad for a freebie !!

can you explain a bit more about the amigaforever dvd that boots into workbench? which version of dvd you have?
runs winuae ? which OS is runing...winxp?
thanks

prowler 24 May 2012 20:42

Hi clauddio,

Every version of the AmigaForever CD from version 6.0 up will boot into Workbench (I have tried no earlier version).

They boot Knoppix Light and then load E-UAE (IIRC).

Note that it is not the DVDs which boot; they contain mostly videos.

synchro 24 May 2012 21:03

Prowlers right....I meant the Amiga forever CD disk of course...Not the DVD's that come with the package....when i tried it i ran from the CD...I did not even have a HDD in the machine at the time so OS is irrelavent from that perspective.....Worth purchasing for what you have in mind

Leandro Jardim 25 May 2012 01:30

I would love to make a Linux/UAE System, but only if I could make one like a real Amiga 1200. I see AmigaForever, for example, but it not looks like one, its very different really. For example, one with a launcher that mimics the gadtools gadgets and the early setup and with a boot sequence like of 3.0. With a version of UAE exclusively made for running one single model (like a A1200, the most generic) and a simple gui for switching disks, configuring memory and toggling some few options and running with all its glory in fullscreen on X server or directly on the Linux framebuffer. :D

Ah, and a cool NTSC/PAL screen filter, why not? ;)

But I think that UAE needs a generic linux distribution for anyone that want to try it, and see your PC turn into a Amiga 1200. Well, more or less. :)

I am not saying I will do it... I really cannot finish even my own programs, what to say about an UAE fork. I am only dreaming... :laughing

gilgamesh 25 May 2012 10:33

You really don't need to fork UAE to do this.

synchro 25 May 2012 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilgamesh (Post 820014)
You really don't need to fork UAE to do this.

Could YOU make a cd that could be just copied to a HDD thats pretty universal ?

Just in case your reading this wrong its not sarcasam it would be brilliant if you could so we could download the ISO ?

Even i would be interested in having one ;)

gilgamesh 25 May 2012 22:43

Installing UAE on an existing Linux and configuring is a matter of minutes. Getting it on a Live CD that everybody can use is a different matter. I have neither time nor resources to do this all by myself atm.

But now that you've mentioned it I see an EAB distro in the near future. :)

It could be based on one of those ultra slick Linux distros like SliTaz or Porteus
  • tiny, about 100MB
  • install to ramdisk, extremely fast and convenient
  • boot in seconds
  • support modern hardware

synchro 26 May 2012 17:27

All sounds brilliant and definatly pheasable I wish i was more into linux now cuz i would have a crack at it myself :(

Windows launchers etc no problem for me...But this as you state this is a different ball game....I suppose the bootable AROS is kind of similar. Hopefully theres someone out there that could give it a go.
My Amiga Tribute II DVD (B) Disk did boot directly to workbench on the old Xbox but i cant even remember how i did that now.

gilgamesh 26 May 2012 19:25

Maybe we can get a project started.

synchro 27 May 2012 23:06

I think its a great idea !! but not being familiar with linux im not sure what i could contribute :( but if i can i will...