English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinFellow (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   support for AROS boot rom (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61831)

Worfje 13 November 2011 20:10

support for AROS boot rom

I suppose the AROS rom support deserves its own thread.

Both booting WinFellow with the AROS rom and with the ADF images results in a near black screen. Serial debugging must be enabled at compile time. :agree

Who can supply me an AROS rom or ADF image which is compiled with the keyword AROS_SERIAL_DEBUG defined? ;)

Toni Wilen 13 November 2011 20:21

All official AROS m68k-amiga builds have serial debugging enabled.

Worfje 13 November 2011 21:54

Great!

I'll check the AROS source code on which data to expect and were it would land in the Amiga registers.

Worfje 15 November 2011 15:16

The serial port is not emulated by WinFellow... :(

The near black screen is the result of an endless loop when waiting for the serial port transmit buffer to become empty. :nervous

Let's see how much work it is to get this serial port emulation going. :cool

Worfje 15 November 2011 16:37

1 Attachment(s)
After setting bit 13 (transmit buffer empty) of register SERDATR to 1, WinFellow is able to boot the AROS ADF-image. This results in attached screenshot.

I had no luck booting the AROS rom-image. It keeps on resetting for some reason.

Is there interest in releasing a WinFellow snapshot which allows booting the AROS ADF-image?

Schlachtwerk 15 November 2011 20:50

Every new Snapshot is welcome.

Worfje 15 November 2011 21:42

:)

Also if being able to boot the AROS adf image would be the only improvement?

prowler 15 November 2011 21:51

Yes please, Worfje! :)

Worfje 15 November 2011 22:18

Ok, I'll release it later this week! :great

prowler 15 November 2011 22:24

Thanks, Worfje! :)

It's great to see the 'WinUAE alternative' back in development, even in some small way. :bowdown

Worfje 16 November 2011 18:42

A dropped a candidate for the snapshot in the private WinFellow beta release thread. Not much beta testers left after having a 5-year break in releasing snapshots. :p

Mequa 16 November 2011 20:43

Awesome work! I'd be interested in trying any new WinFellow snapshot(s).

Perhaps the MESS team may also find AROS ROM useful for their Amiga emulation.

Worfje 16 November 2011 20:50

I decided not to wait and have released it. You can download it here.

prowler 16 November 2011 20:59

Yay! Thanks, Worfje. :bowdown

Worfje 16 November 2011 21:20

I would like the AROS rom to work with WinFellow, but WinFellow does not yet support extended ROMs (like applied in CDTV and CD32).

From Toni I understood that booting the first AROS rom (so only the first 512Kb) should already show something usefull, but with the latest snapshot of WinFellow it keeps rebooting or results in a purple screen (depending on selecting 68000 or 68020).

Next to this, it seems that the rom only supports trackdisk loading. This was stated here.

So, I could use some help on the status of the AROS rom and how it should respond when only using the first 512Kb of the two ROM's.

Toni Wilen 16 November 2011 21:33

I meant lots of debugging stuff will be written to serial port before it crashes or hangs. I recommend writing all bytes written to SERDAT to a file. Serial log makes debugging much easier.

Nothing will appear on screen because graphics.library and intuition.library is in extended ROM :)

Most autoconfig hardware is supported, including bootable harddrive controllers, that page is totally obsolete.

Worfje 16 November 2011 21:43

Toni, that makes it clear to me.

I already had a glance on how much work it would be to add extended ROM support to WinFellow, but I am not yet sure how much work it would be.