English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   amiga games still in the top today (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=98909)

turrican3 21 September 2019 02:40

amiga games still in the top today
 
Hi guys,
which amiga games do you still consider like one of the best game in there kind even today???
It could be graphically, adrenaline, music, anything.
Perhaps there is none.
I think myself about perhaps turrican or ATR but i'm not expert about new games and the part of nostalgia to put in my feelings.
If i was young i would perhaps consider those games like craps and perhaps even without testing them and this is an another problem, young people consider often old things like craps and older guys have a part of nostalgia in their minds.
Enough talk, do you still have an amiga game that you consider enough good in any aspect to still one of the best even today.
Writing this, i think i want really to consider one : shufflepuck cafe
They did some remakes but for me shufflepuck cafe in its own style is the best one of its kind, a unique game and the only one i can think about with no doubt that it still at least one of the best of its kind.
what's your thought about this ?

ZEUSDAZ 21 September 2019 03:40

The Chaos Engine, the pinnacle of Amiga gaming.
Hybris, the shooter of shooters.
Shadow of The Beast, the game that finally shrugged off ST ports.

P.s, you may like this, 20 Amiga games you should play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vro4SMo46Oc

d4rk3lf 21 September 2019 11:59

Ruff 'n' Tumble
- still have awesome gameplay feel, and I give it, from time to time, to my friends kids (that are used to computer and android games), and they all like it, and play it.

Shadow of the Beast 3
- I show this game, sometimes to my friends (that comes to my house to drink :D ), and they had no Amiga experience before, and they all like it. They all like the quests, and like it because it's not so easy.

K240
- For me, personally, this game is comparable to today's strategies. It have a very rewarding feel, when you attack alien enemy, and beat it. It gives a lots of choices, how to play and plan ahead. K240 rules.

Civilization:
- To be totally honest, I enjoy more Civ 1 on my Amiga, then Civ 5 and 6 on PC. Civ 3 on PC is my favorite, and after that is a Civ 1. I showed it to my girlfriend's brother (Civ 1 on the Amiga), I explained to him, how is played, and he was amazed, and he kept playing, and even forgot to eat. :D

Dyna Blaster (or Master Blaster):
- Even today, it's a lots of fun when multiplayering with a friends.

Some other games that could pass today (to a people that have no Amiga experience before), is: Cannon Fodder, Worms, Pang, Arcade Pool, and many others...

Mickoz 21 September 2019 13:19

Project-X - Still my favourite 27 years on
Defender of the Crown
Alien Breed Tower Assault

idrougge 21 September 2019 13:47

I think Civ 1 hasn't aged well at all.

Master484 21 September 2019 14:13

Many single screen platformers still feel like perfect games today: Parasol Stars, Fuzzball, Rodland etc. Easy to pick up, easy to learn and play. Simple concept and simple fun, well made games that are still great today. :great

Anubis 21 September 2019 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4rk3lf (Post 1346888)
Civilization:
- To be totally honest, I enjoy more Civ 1 on my Amiga, then Civ 5 and 6 on PC. Civ 3 on PC is my favorite, and after that is a Civ 1. I showed it to my girlfriend's brother (Civ 1 on the Amiga), I explained to him, how is played, and he was amazed, and he kept playing, and even forgot to eat. :D

Civ 2 was far better game, imho.

Still playable to this day, with huge amount of scenarios and maps...

Best part of later Civ games - all achievements you can get... :cheese

For me SuperFrog and Lionheart - 2 games that are still playable and deserve mention. (Turrican would be another one, but I always think of it as first C64 game, than Amiga :))

amiman99 21 September 2019 20:08

For me are Lemmings, all of them. Best are played on Amiga with a mouse. Even today it's still very playable.

deladrevoc 21 September 2019 20:23

Pinball fantasies

Retro1234 21 September 2019 20:24

Mega Lo Mania never ever will I not like this game.

Cannon Fodder

Predseda 21 September 2019 20:36

I think Hired Guns has not been beaten till today by any game. Level design, weapons, gameplay.

xubidoo 21 September 2019 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predseda (Post 1346980)
I think Hired Guns has not been beaten till today by any game. Level design, weapons, gameplay.


with you on that 1 ,one of the best games ever released on the amiga , ive played it for literally 100s of hours so far, altho not played it much since i got an amiga back.


but the atmosphere,music and sound effects(with 2mb) are all top notch.
Dont think we will ever see another like it.


Other games that still stand up today for me:


Cannon Fodder
Mega-lo-Mania
Chaos Engine
Lotus Series
Gloom Deluxe

Shatterhand 22 September 2019 03:00

I used to do some retrogaming sessions at my home, and sometimes young guys around 18 years would show up.

Brutal Sports Football, a game that I always seem regarded as "crap" around here was a game that really caught their attention and was requested again on later sessions. I personally find it to be a great game and they apparently agreed with me.

People mentioned The Chaos Engine and I agree, it's a great game to play still today, aged a LOT better than the Alien Breed series.

Sensible World of Soccer. I really wished Sociable Soccer was SWOS with just a few modernizations of its gameplay. I can see a kid not liking the "ball escapes from feet for no reason" thing and how you cant just stop running while you have the ball. Still, everytime I fired it up I am thrilled, I still have more fun with it than with any modern soccer game.

Most of its top down racing games are still insanely good and fun to play. Super Cars 1 & 2, Nitro, All Terrain Race, I think they all aged very well and are still very fun to play. ATR in special also looks and sounds so good, I really could see a re-release of it on Steam with just a little few tweaks (And Jamie Woodhouse is still around doing stuff, maybe someday? :D)

I recently went through all 3 Turrican games.... 1 aged kinda badly, that last alien level is just torture and not fun to play at all.

Both Turrican 2 and Turrican 3 are GREAT games. I don't care if you guys complain Turrican 3 doesn't feel like a Turrican game at all, it's a freaking awesome game, one of the best I played on Amiga, in spite of being a little too easy. (To be quite honest, I never found Turrican 2 to be hard either)

Mickoz 22 September 2019 07:38

Agree 100% with you on Hired Guns. I've not played it much recently but time to have another run I think.

tero 22 September 2019 11:56

Cannonfodder and slam tilt. There aren't any good alternatives today.

d4rk3lf 22 September 2019 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubis (Post 1346963)
Civ 2 was far better game, imho.

Still playable to this day, with huge amount of scenarios and maps...

Best part of later Civ games - all achievements you can get... :cheese

I played it a couple of times, it was Ok (some of my friends prefer Civ 2 as well), but I am kind of used to Civ 3 and Civ 1 mechanics a little bit more.

I also liked Civ 4 (althou, I think they over-complicated with "this unit is better for this unit"... I like it simple: Attack, defense, movement + terrain advantages. Sometimes: "Less is more".

New Civs (5 and 6), for me, totally lost what Civ was used to be. They constantly bombard you with some unimportant questions (should you give worker + 2 productivity, or give a city +5 defense), and it reminds me on a pop up adds. Too much distractions from the actual gameplay.

Btw, I don't play scenarios, I always like to play from the begging to the end. :) I know many people adore scenarios. I might try it some day.

@turrican3
Sorry for the OT.

guest.r 22 September 2019 13:00

There are many games i would consider to have aged badly, but there are some gems i consider awesome.

Like Rainbow Islands, Golden Axe, Eye of the Beholder series, Lotus, Chaos Engine, Turrican (III), Cannon Fodder and so on.

Personally i hope Starflight I and II get a proper WHDLoad conversion...

Unkown 07 October 2019 00:14

And in no particular order.

Gods.
Cannon Fodder.
Gunship 2000.
Armageddon.
Civ.
Chaos Engine.
Pinball Dreams.
Pinball Fantasies.
Pinball Illusions.
Carrier Command.
Gauntlet.
Gauntlet II.
Gauntlet III.
Humans.
Legend.
Magic Pockets.
MicroProse Formula One Grand Prix.
Monkey Island.
Monkey Island 2.
Flashback.
Anotherworld.
Rick Dangerous.
Road Rash.
R-Type.
Sensible Soccer. - And i have always hated football...
Skidz.
PGA Tour Golf.
The Settlers.
Super Frog.
UFO - Enemy Unknown.
Vroom.

OK OK i got carried away better stop now as i will continue to list the entire Amiga Games List LoLz.. Sorry People But They Are some Of The Most Awsome Games Ever Made For The Amiga.

PEACE!

idrougge 07 October 2019 02:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest.r (Post 1347073)
Personally i hope Starflight I and II get a proper WHDLoad conversion...

They are hard drive installable anyway.

005AGIMA 07 October 2019 02:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by turrican3 (Post 1346840)
Hi guys,
which amiga games do you still consider like one of the best game in there kind even today???
It could be graphically, adrenaline, music, anything.
Perhaps there is none.
I think myself about perhaps turrican or ATR but i'm not expert about new games and the part of nostalgia to put in my feelings.
If i was young i would perhaps consider those games like craps and perhaps even without testing them and this is an another problem, young people consider often old things like craps and older guys have a part of nostalgia in their minds.
Enough talk, do you still have an amiga game that you consider enough good in any aspect to still one of the best even today.
Writing this, i think i want really to consider one : shufflepuck cafe
They did some remakes but for me shufflepuck cafe in its own style is the best one of its kind, a unique game and the only one i can think about with no doubt that it still at least one of the best of its kind.
what's your thought about this ?

Lotus series springs to mind first and foremost. Not as a "good driving game" as things have advanced well beyond it now, but as a GREAT "Arcade style driving game" I'd argue it still holds up. Play the modern equivalent of "Horizon Chase" (which is FANTASTIC) and I can't help but think "....or I could just play Lotus and be just as happy".

Re Shuffle-puck Cafe, I'm glad I'm not the only one who things this game was AMAZING.

I was thinking about it again just last night, while playing "Danger Ball" on PSVR. I was thinking....people still ask for "the killer PSVR App"....just make this 2 player over network or internet, and you've got your killer app RIGHT HERE!


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:11.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.04543 seconds with 11 queries